I need R3V'S help with a little project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need R3V'S help with a little project

Hi everyone. I have been meaning to do this for a while but just never had enough free time. I'd like to start a comprehensive list of common E30 shocks and have dyno plots for each shock. Once I have graphs for each manufacturer I am going to start a thread explaining how to read the graphs and what you should look for when buying a shock.

I would prefer the shocks have as little time on your car as possible, this way wear and tear will have little to no effect on the graph. Once I have what I need I might consider testing used shocks, that way we can get an idea of how certain shocks wear over time.

The shocks I need:

BC Racing
    Megan
    CA Tuned
    Koni
    Bilstein

Of course there are other shocks that I'm willing to dyno. I know Koni and Bilstein make several valvings for the E30 so if you have something I didn't list please PM me anyways.

So if you don't mind waiting an extra week or so to put your shocks on, please send me a PM so I can get started!
    -Alex

Awesome idea! This will become a valuable thread I predict.

Comment

I am super interested in the results, but my konis and bilsteins are not very new, and I'm far away.

I would also be interested to see dyno plots of:
      325iX Koni
      Corrado G60 Koni
      8610-1437 Race Koni
      as well as typical rear non-e30 konis on e30s, like 8041-1186-Sport that TCK supposedly use.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Go Alex!

This will be a great resource.
        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

awesome idea Alex, hope that this comes to fruition.
          Originally posted by blunttech
          Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
          :shock:

Comment

Thanks guys, I hope this works out! I am really interested to see how the different E30 fitments and non-E30 fitments compare. Right now I only have a graph of a KYB AGX Camaro rear, but I'm waiting to post it since I have nothing else to compare it to (within reason).
            -Alex

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm sure some other people are just as confused as I am. How exactly do different shocks effect a dyno graph?
              sigpic

Comment

^A shock dyno does not work like an engine dyno. It is a tool to measure compression/rebound and attributes of the valving of the shock. So, just as different engines have different engine dyno graphs, shocks do the same.

Comment

^I see, thanks for the clarification.
                  sigpic

Comment

Subbed!

Great idea!

Comment

Welcome to use my $200 Koni shock from GC with just 8,000 miles on it 😂

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Haha I appreciate the offer, but I need something that is a little bit less broken
                        -Alex

Comment

TTT... still looking for volunteers. Please don't make me go broke buying the shocks myself!
                          -Alex

Comment

I will have my Koni's off in the next couple weeks, and I still have those Penske rears that we talked about a few months back
                            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Cool beans, I was actually reading through our conversation and I realized I gave you the wrong number lol its 617 not 616. Hope you didn't try to call and thought I shut you out haha
                              -Alex

Comment

Working...
                              X