headgasket job problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

headgasket job problems

Hello all, first time posting as i can't seem to find anything about this. I was doing a headgasket and everything was going smoothly up until it was time to toque the head bolts. i was using new bmw torx style head bolt and following the torque guide going 22-90-90 in the proper order. After torquing them to 22 foot-pounds i moved onto 90. The first bolt i go to tighten doesn't seem to go past 60 foot pounds. my question is, what the hell is going on? The threads look fine. I am using new head bolts and washers so i dont know what it is. Any advice is much appreciated

You don't torque it to 90 ft/lbs. You tighten all bolts to 22 ft/lbs, then rotate each one 90 degrees tighter, then another 90 degrees.

If you've gone past that, or don't know what you did, I would seriously consider a new head gasket and bolts, and try again, because it's cheaper to be cautious now then destroy the threads in the block, crack the head, or find out you ruined the gasket by over tightening one bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
      You don't torque it to 90 ft/lbs. You tighten all bolts to 22 ft/lbs, then rotate each one 90 degrees tighter, then another 90 degrees.
      Well Fuck....

Comment

Sorry man. We've all made mistakes when wrenching. I once replaced a transmission on a range rover, and didn't clock the flywheel correctly on the crankshaft. Then I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start. That was an extra 10+ hours of work I didn't get paid for, and man did I feel like an idiot.

Comment

Yikes, that's awful. Well I guess I'll get some new head bolts and gasket. Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post

If you've gone past that, or don't know what you did, I would seriously consider a new head gasket and bolts, and try again, because it's cheaper to be cautious now then destroy the threads in the block, crack the head, or find out you ruined the gasket by over tightening one bolt.
            +1, this is probably a common mistake? Just learned about it in school
            BMW tech
            Umass Amherst
            05 wrx sti

Comment

I wouldn't change the gasket, just change the bolts out one a time torque to the 22lbs and then proceed to the next torque steps in proper sequence.

You should make sure there are no fluids in the bolt holes by blowing them out before inserting new bolts.
              My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
              4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Oil the bolts to help with torque and 90 degrees turn!

Comment

You also want to put some oil on the face of the washer where they contact the head. This prevents friction from effecting your torque readings.
                  Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                  Alice the Time Capsule
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                  87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
                    I wouldn't change the gasket, just change the bolts out one a time torque to the 22lbs and then proceed to the next torque steps in proper sequence.
                    Why wouldn't you? The original bolts have been overtorqued which means the head gasket has likely been compressed too much. Seems like cheap insurance to change it now versus having to completely tear down the engine later.

Comment

torque to yield bolts will NOT overtorque hence the name....they just keep stretching at yield point till they fracture

gasket will be fine
                      Angus
                      88 E30M3 X2
                      89 325IX
                      92 R100GS/PD
                      :)

Comment

Working...
                      X