Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it mean/say about us who drive E30s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by estoguy View Post
    Hey guys and gals,

Was thinking about this the other day. Sometimes driving certain cars say something about the owners, and of course I was thinking how attached I am to my E30.

What do you think driving an E30 (especially as a daily driver) says about us as drivers? How do you think other driver's perceive us? Are we hipsters or something else?

Since many of us are DIY, I certainly think it says a lot about our commitment to our ride - these cars are over 2 decades old know at the youngest, and it does take a certain amount of care and respect to keep them going.

I don't know how may random people have started conversations with me over my car. I think that because of relative rarity of seeing E30s anymore (especially here in Ontario), it certainly attracts curiosity and some amazement at seeing a 31 year old car still on the road and being used daily.

I'm interested to see what the rest of R3V thinks. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I drive an E30 because I wanted something RWD, simple, and light with a strong drivetrain and a good aftermarket. There really isn't much else out there that fits the bill. As a side benefit I got timeless styling, no pointless gadgets and a handsome interior as part of a deal.

With values going up as these cars near classic status driving an E30 no longer says "I'm poor" at least :)

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 3-17

Comment

I've been daily driving my e30 for last 5.5 years in Toronto (Every day rain, shine or snow - to work, to grocery, to park, to anywhere).

Most of people in my network would simply see it as unusual and old, and they point out that I must've taken care of it well. And they assume it's difficult and expensive to keep it.

Originally posted by nando View Post
        I never really get anything but complements when i take mine out - never from girls though, always from guys. If I was gay, this thing would be a sex machine.
        I do agree with nando's point. 99% of compliments or stares would come from guys (oddly non-asian). When I cruise around K-town or Yonge & Finch area nobody would look at my little e30 - and every one of my Korean family/friend asks me whether I still have that old car and does it still run
        sigpic

Comment

I'm gonna come in with an opinion from the other end of the age spectrum here. I am 16 and DD my e30. I love it and get tons of complements on it at my high-school. Other people seem to love it to. I am able to work on it for the most part and it's a good first car in terms of getting into the mechanics of cars and knowing how things work. They are very simple to work on in the bigger scheme of all cars. I drive an E30 because it's a bit different and you can really go whatever route you want with it. We have all seen so many different types and styles of e30's here on r3v you can really make it your own and that's not something you can say for most newer cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X