Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I bought another e28 I need help diagnosing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought another e28 I need help diagnosing.

It's an 86 528e the car is straight, interior is good and everything works! I paid 280 bucks! The only problem is it stalls out under load if you rev the car it's fine if you try to drive the car it dies.

The motor sounds great when it does run.

I was told it needs a new fuel pump but that doesn't seem right to me. I have another e28 that needs a heater core an d a lot of other stuff so in the meantime I can pull parts off it to figure this out. And then buy new parts when I figure out what's wrong.

I plan on trying dme, icm icv and checking grounds if none of this works I will the fuel pump. Am I going on the right direction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Pdxseth View Post
    It's an 86 528e the car is straight, interior is good and everything works! I paid 280 bucks! The only problem is it stalls out under load if you rev the car it's fine if you try to drive the car it dies.

The motor sounds great when it does run.

I was told it needs a new fuel pump but that doesn't seem right to me. I have another e28 that needs a heater core an d a lot of other stuff so in the meantime I can pull parts off it to figure this out. And then buy new parts when I figure out what's wrong.

I plan on trying dme, icm icv and checking grounds if none of this works I will the fuel pump. Am I going on the right direction?

Yes check the fuel pump,ive seen cars die underload that were from the fuel pump.

Comment

Cap and rotor too. Had acquired a couple cars that would idle, but stall and die, once you let out the clutch. Hopefully it's easier to check those with an eta, I know on the M30 it isn't much fun to pop those off.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadrajet View Post
        Cap and rotor too. Had acquired a couple cars that would idle, but stall and die, once you let out the clutch. Hopefully it's easier to check those with an eta, I know on the M30 it isn't much fun to pop those off.
        Ive done it on my 325e I'm sure it's no harder

Comment

Well it's a good thing I have a car with all working parts so I don't have to spend a bunch of money trying all this stuff

Comment

Maybe start by checking fuel pressure?

Comment

I would think it's fuel related, check fpr, both fuel pumps and replace fuel filter if it hasnt been replaced recently.

Comment

Agreed, check fuel first.
                -Andy

Comment

I gave up. I'm getting two BMW techs with 60 years combined experience at 40 an hour for both of them to fix it. This is a good deal right?

Comment

NEVER SURRENDER! Sorry, been wanting to say that for a while.

But knowing your limits is a good thing. Especially before valuable tools get hurled into the wilderness in a fit of rage.

Make a list of what you've checked on each car so that they know what you've done and seen. This may help avoid some costs.

Comment

Working...
                    X