flex disc/drive shaft bearing question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flex disc/drive shaft bearing question.

I need to replace them, I have the parts, but no money, and a mechanic told me I needed a press to do it, is that true? or can I just do this in the Garage at home?

You can replace the flex disk / "guibo" yourself relatively easily. By "driveshaft bearing? if you mean the center support bearing/bushing, then yeah that's easy. If you mean the universal joints...you should just start looking for a replacement driveshaft.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

so I don't need some kind of dress then? good, glad I don't go to that mechanic except for tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Calypso Moor View Post
        so I don't need some kind of dress then?
        Not unless that's going to be your form of payment.
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Your mechanic may be referring to the centering sleeve. Number 1 in the diagram below.

The Bentley says to pack it with grease and use rod stock to press it out. However, if the bushing is damaged this will not work. I used a slide hammer, and it came out very easily.

Comment

Good call. I have never replaced that bushing actually. A little silicone grease has always been needed to make it slide onto the output shaft properly though.

One more note: The center support bearing can be a pain in the ass to get off of the driveshaft. You do NOT need a press, but it can take a good amount of fiddling with a big screwdriver, or in extreme cases some very careful work with a Dremel to slit the sleeve that fits tightly on there.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

where in the bay are bmwman?

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                Not unless that's going to be your form of payment.
                Gods damnit.

Comment

Working...
                X