No announcement yet.

I knew I'd be back....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The clutch still isn't done yet. So I took the time to remove the intake manifold then port and gasket match it, the head is ported and the replacement manifold wasn't . I then replaced the rear main, and used Ford engine degreaser and cleaned the absolute shit out of everything.

I ended up removing some unnecessary wiring, which was some after market fog light crap that now made my high beams stop working. I can fix that easily though. I also replaced the O-ring for the cylinder head drain tube, it was leaking out and dropping oil on the ground while the car sat.

I need to pick up fluids for the replacement trans, and some new diff oil. E90 M3 fluid with the friction modifier doesn't make the E30 LSD happy around corners. I'm going to put Redline 75-90 in it and see how that works.
    1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

I got the clutch and Trans in. Literally put it in after work Friday and drove to the track. It went well, clutch holds the power, when it gets hot it's shudders a bit, but has decent street manners.

I managed a best of 12.7 @ 115mph with a 2.1 60'. First pass I did 13.0 @ 114 mph with a 2.3 60'. I was on a Falken fk452 hockey puck at 33psi. I was pedaling it 1st and 2nd. I rolled out a bit softer on the fast run and cut the 60' down. I had a set of drag radials but I didn't end up putting them on. I think it had lower 12's in it. I only had the car on 14psi.

On the way home I snapped a passenger axle clean at the outer CV. I'm waiting on a shaft from a late model car to see if it fits. I'm hoping it does.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

New clutch

12.7 pass against my buddies ESS charged M5

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page
      1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Got the car axle in a while ago. Ended up putting a stock late model non abs axle in. Worked perfect.

I bought a new camera, as my old one was getting dated. Spent some chaddddda and got the new Canon T6S. I absolutely love it. So I messed around with it and snapped some photos of the shit box.

1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

awesome. love it.
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

So update. I turned the boost up to 17psi, the engine is getting tired and it's starting to push oil. I'm planning a 24v build for next year for more power. Nothing crazy, somewhere in the 550whp range. The car as it sits now made 396whp on 17psi. I put a MT ET street R on and went to the track. Previously on a street tire and 14psi, I went 12.7 @ 115mph. I turned it upto 17psi and put the radial on, I went 11.91 @ 121mph. I think with another 150whp I could maybe do a low 11 or a high 10 with obviously other factors.

Heres a video of some passes. I have some from outside the car, I need my buddy to e-mail them to me. They're on my instagram SamE30t or #shitboxe30

1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Here's an outside view of the 11 second pass. Shot with a Potato.

I blew the head gasket, or some other things. But it's pushing a lot of coolant into cylinder 5 and 6. Maybe a cracked head. I'll tear it apart when I take it out of storage. I want to refresh it anyways. I know cylinder 5 has high blow by. I need a proper catch can.

I'm also adding a cam sensor for cam-sync. It will help with drive-ability and cold start. Hopefully I don't need a piston or anything.
              1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Thinks took a turn over the winter. I scrapped the M20 stroker and picked up a M52B28. I'm currently in the process of prepping it.

The new setup is:

M52B28
                CES Cutring combo with spacer and ARP studs
                Revshift swap mounts
                Garagistic billet trans swap brace
                Custom M20 clutch and flywheel combo
                Mishimoto Aluminum radiator
                OBD1 intake
                75lbs EV14 injectors
                RSI 24v swap manifold
                Tial 44mm
                Tial 50mm blow off valve
                M52 harness adapted to my VEMS stand alone

I already have a custom TIG welded 3" stainless V-banded exhaust setup. I just need to make a change to the downpipe for it to fit. Engine should be going in next week. Then I just need to move the brake booster over, run the fuel lines and wire it up.

Shooting for 500whp on 94 pump which shouldn't be an issue.

I'll make a proper post when I get it in the car.
                Last edited by SamE30e; 07-25-2016, 05:26 PM.
                1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Sweet! Welcome back
                  Yours truly,
                  Rich
                  sigpic
                  Originally posted by Rigmaster
                  you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Soooo update!

I put the M52 in and am almost done. After 6 hours of wiring my VEMS in, and confusing myself 10 times over. I started the car for about 5 seconds (Missing vacuum lines and no coolant). So we're on track.

I need to connect the idle air to the upper intercooler pipe (I have a -12 AN fitting for that) finish the down pipe and a few more wires. It should be good to go on the dyno after that.

I ended up making a fuel rail, my idea to add -6 fittings to the stock OBD2 rail failed with my TIG skills. So I marked the holes on some rail stock and had a machine shop up the street drill them. I added the mounts and -6 fittings on after. Worked out pretty well. In case anyone is wondering, the stock hard lines allow a -6 hose to slide over top. Makes easy for adding a new rail, filter and pressure regulator.

The turbo feed is off the VANO feed line. I took the banjo bolt and drilled the hole all the way through, welded on a -4 fitting and ran the line. Worked pretty well actually. I just need to use a open ended wrench to tighten the line to the filter housing.

The harness is a OBD2 M52 harness slimmed down. It's simple to wire if you don't get side tracked and confused as shit. Since the stock OBD2 cam sensor is some weird hall sensor that won't work with VEMS, I ended up using a N55B30 sensor. My VEMS isn't set up for hall primary, so I used the E30 VR sensor on the front.

Last edited by SamE30e; 09-06-2016, 04:00 PM.
                    1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Got the car on the dyno finally. Otis was right, a 38mm gate was too small. I had to switch to a Tial 44mm on the dyno. No big deal, little bit quick fab and we were good to go.

On wastegate pressure (12psi) it made 390whp, and at 16psi tapering down to 14psi at redline it made 440whp. We had to stop there because it was running out of fuel above 5000rpm. This was because I decided to be lazy and leave the stock pump inline, and not hook it up. So a few days after the dyno I took it out and ran a AN line in place. Fuel was solid to redline and I turned the car up to 17 psi and tweaked the duty cycle table to hold to redline. Ass dyno says it putting down 470-500whp.

It really needs a set of S52 cam's to wake it up. It spools the 6262 at 3800-4000.

I'll post up some videos after.
                      1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by SamE30e View Post
                        It really needs a set of S52 cam's to wake it up. It spools the 6262 at 3800-4000.
                        Wanna buy mine?

*BTW really cool car!
                        My Garage
                        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                          Wanna buy mine?

*BTW really cool car!
                          Pm me a price with trays

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
                          1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Cool thread. In for more pics

Comment