What in the slutty hell? (solved)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What in the slutty hell? (solved)

Pulled the radio and found this. I can't even ... I suppose PO wanted an alarm? I've been pulling out punds of wiring that's not connected to anything.

So the white wire is connected to something else (notice it going to the left). And the rest is just all over the place.

Car is 1988 325is (im guessing non-premium sound). Front speakers dont work. The fuel pump buzzes when radio is on. I've checked G200 and it doesn't look corroded.

I don't know where or how to start, never done this before
    Last edited by crappycoco; 03-08-2015, 11:33 AM.

what the fuck. I don't know what to say to that.

--Mike
    (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

that isn't even bad compared to my previous owner's rat nest.
      2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
      (Daily Driver)
      Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
      KW V2 Coilovers
      VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

That doesn't look too bad. I'd think an iS car would indeed have premium sound. What did the rear speakers look like?
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Yeah, that really isn't that bad. Cut everything on the car side of the butt connectors and start fresh. Look at the amp bypass thread sticky for how to wire everything.

Comment

I fear what you guys have seen if this isn't bad =D

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
            If you have front tweeters, you likely have premium sound.
            I have tweeters, so I guess I have premium sound (reading the amp thread).

Hmm, so one of the problems is, that the PO installed this, and I don't know what is which wire (color) on the aftermarket HU. So I don't know which wires to combine when I start cutting. Also, see those 3 brown wires combined into one black? Isn't that one of the basic no-nos? Combining grounds?
            Last edited by crappycoco; 03-01-2015, 01:00 AM.

Comment

All aftermarket decks use the same colors these days.

If you do have premium sound, just do the amp bypass. But run new wire to the fronts, repurpose the rears.

Go find 20 feet of normal 16ga speaker wire, you will need it.

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Will try to do this, i guess the brand of the wire doesn't matter =)
                Attached Files

Comment

This is the radio connector:

I think this applies here:

This is from the cars side:

So obviously the braided pairs go together, but these I have no idea how to pair:

Looks like the antenna power cord? And what's the white wire thats not coming from the loom?

Power?

Grounds & mystery lilac? =)

So all i have to find out now is this:
                  • There should be 6 pairs (tweeters, front, back) I see max 4.
                  • Are the tweeters spliced from the fronts?
                  • How are the grounds handled? Is the negative (-) spliced into a negative and a ground? (does this apply to tweeters too?)
                  • If yes, where are those grounds connected to the chassis?

I've ordered some 16 gauge wire and some butt connectors with heat-shrink.
                  Sorry for the newb questions =) Btw, after disconnecting the radio my el. mirrors suddenly began to work again. Wtf?

Comment

the tweeters are connected to the fronts. Have you checked the amp bypass sticky thead? I recently did my convertible's head unit and it involved connecting both the front speaker wires (from the head unit) and both the rear speaker wires together from the head unit harness.
                    2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                    (Daily Driver)
                    Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                    KW V2 Coilovers
                    VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

First, take the damn cage out so you have some room to work. Don't mangle it, use a pick to get the tabs that are bent in.

Pull the harness more out of the dash, and unwrap it until you get back to the fader harness branch and the ground junctions.

Post a pic of the progress...oh, and quit posting pics of your aftermarket deck, they are all the same colors on every deck out there, does not matter what it is, just get the cars wiring correct and it will sound fine.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

@cody, yes I've read it, but its kind of overwhelming for someone who's never even attempted to change the stock unit =)

@stereo
                        yes sir! I have tried to get it out more, it feels like its stuck or something (in the picture its pulled out as far as it will go). I'll take out the cage and try again.

Comment

There is a chance that the harness runs through a plastic clamp holding an assload of wires right up against the firewall....get some light in there and you should see it

GL!
                          Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

That's nothing compared to my jeep haha the jeep I found the speaker wires by connecting random things till the speaker clicked ha I couldn't find a wiring chart that matched the colors in the jeep even though all mopars should use the same colors, except mine I guess
                            -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                            08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                            318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                            '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                            Originally posted by roguetoaster
                            Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

So, after taking out the frame (that thing was jammed in there good). I failed to see any additional wires:

Thats why I peeled back the tape to see what's going on and saw this:

This is where started thinking where do all those wires disappear to? Well...

This is pre-fader (note all 4 pairs present)

There are also these things which essentially end up being the grounds for the previous blue/brown yellow/brown pairs (post fader).

My logic tells me the 4 pairs should end up in the 8 "ports" of the fader.
                              And then continue from there to the radio. What I don't get is why is there a brown
                              (ground) in the fader, and why's there something that looks like a power cable in the fader (lower right corner).

Comment

Working...
                              X