Fuel Consumption Report: 3.0 M50/318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Consumption Report: 3.0 M50/318is

I decided to keep track of fuel consumption for a typical week of driving for my E30 to see how economical it was during a work-week commute. I kept the rules pretty simple: 5-days of commuting to work and occasionally small errands after work. I started Monday morning before work with a full tank, and filled the tank Friday night at about 8pm, after running an errand. This wasn't an attempt to hypermile and get maximum MPG out of the car; just get results from a typical week of driving. 2 of the 5 workdays I redlined 2nd/3rd gear on an on-ramp coming home from work.

The car is a '91 318is, weighs 2620# (w/o driver), and has a 3.0L stroked M50 with no catalytic converter, euro MAF, raised compression, and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator that was set to run at 48psi (58psi at WOT). Getrag 260/3.73/slightly taller than stock tire size.

My commute to work is 24 miles highway (70-73mph) and 3 miles of stoplight-to-stoplight traffic.

I went out to lunch 3 of the 5 days to a deli, total of 6 miles.

I ran errands totalling 17 miles during the week.

In total, I drove 293 miles: Friday night I filled the tank and put in 10.3 gallons. Over 293 miles of driving, that's 28.44 MPG

Better than expected :) Thanks to the adjustable FPR, a light car, good gearing, and an efficient engine, it gets almost the mileage it got with the M42. As a bonus, it will shake off the 996 in the next lane at the drop of a hat. :)

taller than stock tire means you're getting even better mileage, but 28.44 is awesome enough.

Comment

great mpg. how much Horse power does your car have?

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

That's really good considering all the warm-up cycles you go through. Since I know that my OBC MPG is very accurate I know that my first 5-10 miles are always horrible.

Comment

damn, yer doubling my s50... i WISH i got that kinda mileage...
          IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

I know I can get 30mpg+ highway on the turbo car without the gurney flap.... the problem is that I can't keep the needle under 0psi for a whole gas tank. :p
            Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
            EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
            FullOpp Stickers for sale!
            NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
            Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
            ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
              damn, yer doubling my s50... i WISH i got that kinda mileage...
              Maybe if your brakes weren't always grabbing...

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain."
              R.I.P. Harry Goz aka. Captain Murphy
              "My ride, My ride, she don't beg, steal, cheat, or lie,
              My ride, My ride, and our relationship is classified."

Comment

@ Mossman, rear tires are 195/60/15, so just a touch taller than stock, not much change in effective gearing. Also should note that all 4 tires are kept at 38psi.

@ E30S52, roughly 280

@ GoldE30...what, Are you serious!?

@ Erick; same here, all summer I've spent the majority of my workweek commute hauling ass and/or revving out gears, mainly to (help) subside the frustration of driving a black sweatbox in NC heat. :) I wanted to get some realistic results though, and keep track of adjustments in fuel pressure.

@cahomey, from your PM--cams are from a '98 M3

Comment

-Great results, Stu, maybe now I have a logical rational for a m50 swap
                  1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM View Post
                    -Great results, Stu, maybe now I have a logical rational for a m50 swap
                    I'm seeing about 27.6 mpg highway at "aggressive" cruising speeds with a 3.73(~85 mph), so yea, it would be nice on a DD. Go with a slightly less aggressive rear end and you could probably do 29 easily.

-Charlie
                    Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                    '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                    FYYFF

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                      I'm seeing about 27.6 mpg highway at "aggressive" cruising speeds with a 3.73(~85 mph), so yea, it would be nice on a DD. Go with a slightly less aggressive rear end and you could probably do 29 easily.

-Charlie
                      Charlie, I can't tell from your sig...is that 324e or 324d? Either way, f'n awesome.

Comment

I shoulda done a swap and not messed with the M20. I get like 24 on the highway, and maybe 20 with in town. LOL

That's damn good results!
                        - Sean Hayes

Comment

1992 Cabrio, stock S50, ZF trans (no overdrive), 3.25LSD, 3,000+ pounds:
                          19mpg city
                          25mpg highway
                          I have a 2.93LSD I'd like to swap in to improve the cruising RPM & see if the mileage improves a bit.
                          "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrift View Post
                            I know I can get 30mpg+ highway on the turbo car without the gurney flap.... the problem is that I can't keep the needle under 0psi for a whole gas tank.

Me too! With my 3.25LSD i get about 23mpg on average. Thats including redlining first 3 gears every day at least twice. :)

Great numbers though stu!
                            -Chris

Comment

Working...
                            X