No announcement yet.

Strict budget, slow restoration. *Now with moar budget*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sealing up - I decided to stick with aluminum tape for a few reasons. Partially because there is very limited space.

Here are the results

:)

Comment

holy shit! that is bright.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
      ---------------------------------
      89 E30 S52
      ---------------------------------
      Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Will the aluminum tape seal those properly, you think?
        Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

If you are meticulous about it it will seal pretty well (the adhesive on this stuff is pretty gnarly). I am more worried about longevity with the aluminum tape. Unfortunately I didn't see much of an alternative that wasn't very messy.

In the end I live in california and they won't see weather much worse than the occasional shower.

Comment

How's the heat on the back side of these lights? I've been considering fiberglassing them to the housings themselves but, was a tad concerned with yonder heat.
            Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

They definitely get hot, especially with the 50W ballast. But I do not believe they get hotter than halogens.

I thought about glassing them (it is not all that uncommon to do so in a retrofit) but I've never done any FG work and I don't want to start on a project like this.

We will see how the tape holds up. Worst case, I figure something else out.

Comment

Dude, the lighting mod looks awesome! Very functional and the cutoff is super sharp!

Originally posted by whysimon
                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Haha, whoops. :D

All good now. :p Lesson learned. Flat spots suck though.
                  Last edited by Wh33lhop; 04-13-2011, 02:15 AM.

Comment

n00b question, but what exactly happened there?

E46t

Comment

Originally posted by leegf View Post
                      n00b question, but what exactly happened there?
                      he had too much fun.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'd like to know too... lost some bolts on the halfshaft flange?

Comment

Half shaft flange bolts backed out--I must have rushed a job and not tightened them properly. Luckily it got tangled in the ebrake cable and locked the wheel before it did any real damage flopping around.

I noticed some wobble, I figured it was the CSB again and didn't get a chance to check on it until it popped out. Last time I touched the axles was when I did suspension, a year ago--so it's been awhile.

Luckily it only cost me some new bolts and a flat-spotted tire. Cheap lesson that could have been a lot more expensive.

Comment

^^^ Whoa that could have been way worse.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post

This is usually what my grocery bags look like when I get home from the store. I don't buy many eggs.
                            hahaha I love this.
                            -Nick
                            Originally posted by 87e30
                            First of all: calm the fuck down; second of all; cool story bro.

Comment

A few more shitty shots of the lights. My friend was operating the camera, hard for him to get good focus. Keep in mind a camera's dynamic range is horrible compared to your eyes, and youtube compression lowers it further.

Low beams

High beams

Strobe time! :p

Comment

Looks awesome.

Plus, you deserve a metal, for doing all this work on your car while in-school, working in a god-damn crappy parking lot. I'd love to see what you could get done with a proper set of tools and a decent garage. Hats off to you.
                                Originally posted by Matt-B
                                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                                X