E30 Hard top buying guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Hard top buying guide

so i am new to E30s and now that i am moving out and wont have a garage. i want to pick up a hard top for the winter. the problem is that since i have never seen one and all the tops i have found are out of driving distance. could the cabrio owners who have them put together a list of items that buyers should look for and reasonable prices for a hard top. thanks in advance for anything that you guys can share.
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

my answer, find one , buy it
    if you can , get it with all hardware. they are vry hard to find around here thats why my smart ass answer

I have not heard of them being twisted , the biggest complaint I have read is missing hardware or broken windows

Ill take one even if it had the headliner missing and the rear window missing. both I can replace, maybe not like original, but Ill settle for it. I just want a hard top for winter too, color not important
    but budget will put that off for a long while
    come on lottery
    but I was told you have to play to win

Comment

Originally posted by 3bvert View Post
      my answer, find one , buy it
      if you can , get it with all hardware. they are vry hard to find around here thats why my smart ass answer

I have not heard of them being twisted , the biggest complaint I have read is missing hardware or broken windows

Ill take one even if it had the headliner missing and the rear window missing. both I can replace, maybe not like original, but Ill settle for it. I just want a hard top for winter too, color not important
      but budget will put that off for a long while
      come on lottery
      but I was told you have to play to win
      im not sure where you are from, but Condons Auto Parts in Westminster , MD (1-800-543-7274) said they had one for $800 w/o a headliner or back window. but the guy said since its missing stuff he would go lower. he also sucks at getting back to you about stuff.
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

just give it a couple of days and a hardtop will pop up somewhere, nice and complete for around 850-1500.
        harry/harout

Comment

Im too far away, but I would see if he would take 4, then get a plastic/acrylic window made.
          saw one recently that had the winter storage stand, no back window, no hardware and he listed it for 6, I was broke and had pass

Comment

wow, that sounds like a great deal to have to pass up on.
            sigpic

Comment

odly enough they do come up in my rural area. this spring had another one at the "normal" 1500 and that is what you can expect 1-1.5
              Matt B's neighbor I think bought one this winter for about 7

Comment

try this site www.searchtempest.com I find all kinds of e-30 stuff this way.

Comment

wow , nice site so using this site I found

origianl poster, so there is a hardtop within about a half days drive from you for less then 1k, looks good

Comment

Check it out. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-...RCHQ3aUSQ3a101

Comment

Originally posted by hotrodlincoln View Post
                      yeah, i saw that one, but it is more than i have to spend, although those roof racks look pretty cool. any one wanna give me 2200? :D
                      sigpic

Comment

by the way, i know the top came with a strange wrench, is it nessasary to secure the top? and is their anything else the top needs? (other than a bag and a stand for the rich)
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                          by the way, i know the top came with a strange wrench, is it nessasary to secure the top? and is their anything else the top needs? (other than a bag and a stand for the rich)
                          Not needed to secure the top itself. Just used to make minor adjustment.

Comment

ok, so when you said get the hardware, i thought that was the wrench. now i have a top that was only used a few times, but not the factory bolts to hold it down or the covers for the inside. if anyone has a set of those bolts and or covers, pm me so i can work on completing my set!
                            sigpic

Comment

congrats on getting a top
                              Im jealous

Comment

Working...
                              X