No announcement yet.

E30 Hard top buying guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just picked this one up yeasterday for $500.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    "But the way it deals with bumps and heaves makes you think the shocks are filled with unicorn farts and pixie tears."

Comment

Top looks great. Looks like the vinyl was taken off and painted. Any info. on that? Also, anyone know where would be the best place to get replacement back window? Also the front weather seal?
      Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by handysmurf59 View Post
        I just picked this one up yeasterday for $500.
        damn, now i feel like an idiot for buying one for twice that with a sagging liner. how does the top look in person with paint instead of vinyl? i was thinking of painting my top when i paint my car, but im not sure.
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Good thread. I've been toying around with the idea of buying a hardtop but thought...why? So let's post some pros and cons. These are just a few that jump out at me.

Pros:

Rare, looks better, more secure, no foggy rear window, quieter, warmer in winter? doesn't leak like soft tops can? Don't have to worry about replacing the soft top ever again.

Cons:

Cost (a big one), can't just fold it away on the road, when off you have to store it somewhere.

Anymore?
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

anyone know where i can get roof rack for the top that will fit? like does it have to be an OEM type thing, or can any rack that has holes which line up work?
            sigpic
            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

I drove up to Chicago and got my minty hardtop for $575. I am stripping the vinyl off and painting as phase II to my complete exterior restoration project... check it out and follow my progress here: http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=144754
              I've already started and I don't think it will be too bad. Replacing my headliner with a tan suede to match my new interior.

1988 325iC Project - FINISHED!
              Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ht=325iC+paint

Comment

Working...
              X