DIY: seat reupholstering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: seat reupholstering

i just reupholstered the seats in my 91 325i convertible. it wasn't too bad, but i thought i'd do a quick write up with a basic "process" and some interesting tips i learned along the way.

general tips
    1. get a good set of wire snips, you'll be doing a lot of cutting of hog rings and a good set will help a lot
    2. get a good set of hog ring pliers and hog rings...you can get them on ebay...here's a pick of most of the tools i used (but not all)...hog ring pliers have the red handle.

process
    so the basic process is to remove the seats from the car, remove the leather and replace in reverse order. this actually does work but you need to either take pictures or good notes so you don't forget how stuff goes back together.

start with the rears first. they are easiest and if you mess up a little, you won't see it everyday like you might with the fronts.

the rears are pretty easy as the leather is all in one piece. the biggest advice i can give is on the order in which you attach the listings (the thick wires that give the seat it's contour). on the bottom cushion there are 4 listings that make an # pattern. working on one side of the seat at a time, insert the vertical listing closest to the center and the topmost horizantal listing at the same time. Then start attaching in the top left and work you way down. The hardest part is being able to get your hand (with the hog ring pliers) in to position, and this is the best way i found to do it. save the outermost listing for last, that one is easy.

the fronts are twice as hard as the rears as they come in 7 different secitons per seat and you have to disassemble the seat to do it.

so again, take notes/pics along the way.

start by just removing all the hardware and base supports. there are two screws and two two wires that attach the backrest to the reclining mechanism.

once you have separated the backrest, bottom frame and relining mechanisms, separate the cushion sections from the frame by cutting the hog rings and pulling the leather out of all the hooks.

when you try to remove the extendable thigh support, you'll find that the inner j-channel is really hard to get out...well, the new one will be hard to get in as well, in fact impossible...so use a dremmel or something to grind out the rivets to release the plastic guides. just use screws to reattach it when the time comes...you'll thank me for this one.

someone pointed out that you may not have to remove the plastic bits. the slider can be removed from underneath, which i did, but it was still difficult to get the j-channel out without messing up the metal so i removed the plastic bits...it's up to you.

if you have heated seats, don't forget to take out the heater strips and reinsert them into the new cushion. pay attention to where the wires come out so they exit towards the rear of the seat on the side you want.

when it's time to put on the new leather on the cushions, insert the listing and then make a centerline mark with a sharpie. this will help you get the cushion exactly cenetered on the leather.

you have to cut two holes for the head rest posts to go through...i used a socket to provide a base and then cut through with a good knife...you may have another method that works fine, but this worked for me.

when putting the leather on the side bolsters, attach the inside first and then stretch the material and attach to the hooks. this will help smooth out any creases.

do yourself a favor and while you have the reclining mechanisms out, clean and lube them up good to ensure a long life.

another tip, when attaching the leather to the inside hooks, they may not be sharp enough to pierce the leather...don't force it or you may tare the leather...make a small cut with a knife to help out.

that's about it...i have pics of almost every step along the way...if you get caught, PM me and i'll see if i can help out.

here's the before and after:
    the old

the new

Last edited by knotcher; 04-26-2018, 06:27 AM.
    '89 325i - racecar
    '91 325i convertible - summer car
    '96 328i - daily driver

Bump for a nice write up! I may be giving you a PM in the near future.
    Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Nice! Glad to find this! I plan on doing this over the winter.
      sigpic
      Turbo Cabrio project: http://eurowerks.org/showthread.php?t=19677

Comment

Looks good, I really need to do that in my other car.

1. Is that real leather?
        2. Where did you get it?
        3. Are hog rings for fencing different than the ones for upholstery?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e34john View Post

1. Is that real leather?
          2. Where did you get it?
          Looking for a 3.46 or lower LSD. Lets make a deal.
          LSx e36TI coming soon
          Originally posted by s0urce
          Man, she'd be so easy to rape

Comment

Originally posted by e34john View Post
            Looks good, I really need to do that in my other car.

1. Is that real leather?
            2. Where did you get it?
            yep...leatherseats.com...dunno, never done any fencing, but i stabbed a guy with a knife one time ;)...seriously, they are probably the same, but i don't know for sure.
            '89 325i - racecar
            '96 328i - daily driver

Comment

wow hows the quality on those ? And how much did it run you total?

Comment

Originally posted by Philipangoo View Post
                wow hows the quality on those ? And how much did it run you total?
                $630 for the covers and since i did it myself, $0 for labor. i was quoted $700 for labor from a local shop.

quality-wise i don't have much to compare it to as i've never done this before. i have been told that the "puckers" which i assume is where the leather comes together in a bend/corner aren't real good. as for the material, i love it and i'd buy the same kit again.
                '89 325i - racecar
                '96 328i - daily driver

Comment

what's up with the seat cover on the drivers side?

Comment

Originally posted by colombacho View Post
                    what's up with the seat cover on the drivers side?
                    my fat butt just got out of it...hahaha...seriously though, i should have built up the padding a bit in the seat or stretched the leather tighter, or something, cause it has gotten a bit wavy from just me sitting in it.
                    '89 325i - racecar
                    '96 328i - daily driver

Comment

This is great write up. I am about to attempt to do this myself. But am gonna cut and sew myself. Also do you know where good foam can be located so we can replace the worn crap in the car? Ive tried searching but dont really know where to start. Thanks, also where you at in NC?
                      Last edited by TheB1G Lebowski; 12-10-2009, 03:26 PM.
                      1989 325i - sold
                      1987 RX-7 Turbo II - sold
                      1990 325i

Comment

Originally posted by TheB1G Lebowski View Post
                        This is great write up. I am about to attempt to do this myself. But am gonna cut and sew myself. Also do you know where good foam can be located so we can replace the worn crap in the car? Ive tried searching but dont really know where to start. Thanks, also where you at in NC?
                        I want to do this, too, but I'm not sure if a regular sewing machine can handle the leather. My grandmother was a seamstress so I have learned to sew over the years.. just never worked with leather.

Anyone's thoughts on leather thru a less-than-industrial machine?

Comment

I'm doing this right now, except I bought a nice passenger seat with excellent leather for $100 and I'm transfering the pieces over to my driver's seat.

Looks beautiful!

You will almost certainly also have broken side bolster on the driver's seat that will need welding. If you can grab the front of your lower side bolster and move it left and right your support tube broke off the seat frame. Very common.

Comment

Great Information,

I got mine done for 650.00 Changed out the thigh bolsters, my leather was very thick.
                            I repadded my seat with 1/2 inch firm foam. If anyone needs bolsters let me know.
                            Barry

Comment

very nice! how did you glue the leather on the back covers of the front seats? i'm having hell of a time getting them to look clean and the spray glue is not doing it's job.

Comment

Working...
                              X