Reap3rs E30 Bought back, Now M52B28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reap3rs E30 Bought back, Now M52B28

Okay so I figured it was about time to start one of these threads on here. We'll start off with I have a 1990 318iS Dswartz:

I've had the car for a little bit under 3 years now and up until now I've virtually had $0 to spend on it due to being young and dumb and pissing it up against the wall. Recently though I've started to actually do some work to the car and thought I'd post it up as I go along.

I appologise in advance if the photos are pretty crappy, All I have is my camera phone.

So last week I was driving along and blew a shock mount while slowly going over some train tracks. At this point I decided it was time to tear down the rear end and replace all the bushings at the same time. I already had some IE Subframe bushings kicking around that I hadn't got around to fitting. So I ordered some trailing arm bushes from IE and some cheapish mounts with lifetime warrenty off ebay that will hold me through until I get GC Coilovers(they come with mounts).

So first off I stripped everything out of the rear. Exhaust, brakes, trailing arms, diff, subframe, Half shafts/axles.

First trailing arm out.

Little dark but after I finally got the subframe out.

How the car is sitting now.

Also noticed that one of my half shafts had a torn boot and rather than replacing it I opted for a second hand job from a wrecker.

After I pulled all these out I noticed that my diff had a massive oil leak. At this point I decided that this was the last time I wanted to have all this out so I was going to do this all the right way and not half ass it. This included changing the diff seals and sanding back, undercoating and top coating the subframe and trailing arms to make them look a little bit cleaner.

So I went down the shop, bought a 10L drum of degreaser and got to work degreassing all of the removed parts.

Finnished product:

Degreasing it seemed to eat away a lot of the paint on the trailing arms so in the end I would of repainted them anyway.

I got to work sanding them all up and got them ready to be painted

Undercoated

Ghetto style hanging place:

While I was waiting for the undercoat to dry I decided I'd sand back my new boot lid I had laying around and undercoat it. I only got around to doing the underside but I'm pretty happy how it turned out.

After this was done It was time to sand back the subframe and trailing arms and top coat them. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out and they look a Lot better than what they did 2 days ago.

Thats all I have for the moment but will probably have more updates this afternoon with what I've done.:)
    Last edited by Reap3r; 11-21-2015, 05:15 AM.

Turbo M42 Build thread:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=169672

nice, i need to do this
    -Andy

Comment

So because I'm still waiting on bushes to get here from the US. Today I decided to give painting the rest of my boot lid a crack.
      So I went down to the local autobarn and $250 later I got myself a new gravity fed spray gun, 1L of diamondschwartz, 1L of clear coat, 4L of thinners, a small tin of bog and a mixing up container.

I did a guide coat on the underside of the boot lid and proceeded to sand the undercoat back with 800 grit wet and dry until I was happy enough with the finnish. Then it was time to mix up some paint and throw a few coats on.

Heres how it turned out, hasn't got clear coat on it yet so its not shiny and it's starting to get a bit late and too cold for painting to do it now would be pointless.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

That Hills Hoist is made for Goon of Fortune.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
        RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Smoodiver View Post
          That Hills Hoist is made for Goon of Fortune.
          And it works great for it too.:pimp:

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

Goon of fortune FTW. That is all

Good work on the rearend too. You have turbo plans yeah?
            Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

So I've been pretty lazy today and all I've really done is put a clear coat on the inside of the boot lid. Pretty happy with how it turned out considering I did a half ass job on prepping it in my opinion. But at least I'm confident in doing the outside that is seen, still not positive on how good of a colour match it is and probly wont be able to tell until its on the car :(

Originally posted by Iain View Post
              Goon of fortune FTW. That is all

Good work on the rearend too. You have turbo plans yeah?
              And yes, funny that you ask.

I think that it will look pretty good on there and be a decent setup, its probly the next thing on my agenda after getting the rear end back in. Either that or coilovers.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

Any plans for work on the motor? ECU? What's the turbo? GT25/28/etc?
                Pork Hunt Motorsport

Comment

Any plans for work on the motor? ECU? What's the turbo? GT25/28/etc?
                  So far plans are get forged pistons, cam regrind, stainless valves, new springs ect.... possibly solid lifters along with all new bearings bottom end and a mls headgasket, arp studs. ECU theres a bloke on m42club that does a plug and play megasquirt kit for a m42 for $600 US which is a bargain in my opinion. Will save a lot of time and headache with wiring in the likes of a haltech or something.

The turbo is actually just a turbo I got off a mate for free. 95% sure its just off a rb20det which as far as I know is a t3 around t28 sizing mabye slightly smaller. It only has a ceramic exhaust wheel so when my brother rebuilds it for me we're going to chuck a steel one on there.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

Originally posted by Reap3r View Post
                    Also noticed that one of my half shafts had a torn boot and rather than replacing it I opted for a second hand job from a wrecker.
                    lol second hand job from a wrecker.

uhh sweet project :o
                    Flickr
                    Originally posted by Indecline06
                    For some reason, when I get super duper ultra stoned... The M30 motor reminds me of big bird from sesame street.

Comment

Originally posted by yberther View Post
                      lol second hand job from a wrecker.

uhh sweet project :o
                      $50 is better than $600. Parts in Australia are REDICULIOUSLY overpriced. And by second hand job I mean a whole half shaft not just a boot :P

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

think of a wrecker as your pull-a-part, except these days few wreckers will let us scrounge around the yards pulling the parts we want :(

Nice to see this up and going.

p.s. your mum will kill you if that clothes line goes to the shitter...we have killed about 3 of them by using them as a paint rack :p
                        - Chris
                        Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
                          think of a wrecker as your pull-a-part, except these days few wreckers will let us scrounge around the yards pulling the parts we want :(

Nice to see this up and going.

p.s. your mum will kill you if that clothes line goes to the shitter...we have killed about 3 of them by using them as a paint rack :p
                          Yeah, I know down in melbourne they have Pick-a-part which is rediculiously cheap. Up in Brisbane they normally ask $225 for a 2nd hand half shaft. Just lucky that both of the blokes that work there absolutely love my car so I still get parts pretty cheap!

Most of my painting's allready been done so the clothes line will survive.

Quick question for you, what manifold are you going to use for your turbo build? I was looking into getting a 666fab one, but by the time you convert it and get it over here its up in the 1k+ mark. Another option is to get one of these http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BMW-Turbokrum...item3a47b75e4e. But it would also mean I need to source another actuator for my turbo rather than just welding the gate shut and using a external. Also there is no way of knowing if ebay manifolds will actually fit nicely, especially in a RHD E30. Or even if the manifolds are top or bottom mount.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

Lol was at the second "hand job" from the wreckers...

Bloody naiive kids today!
                            Pork Hunt Motorsport

Comment

Lol was at the second "hand job" from the wreckers...

Bloody naive kids today!
                              Too many weights, not enough speed work.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                              RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Working...
                              X