Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Cooler (BMW OEM)

Has anyone seen one of these before?

my buddy bought an 87 325is a while back and recently saw under the hood of mine and noted that my fuel lines were weird. He told me his go to a heat exchanger on one of the A/C lines, i called BS. Yesterday he showed it to me, and sure enough the feed line comes up to the firewall, meets a hardline and travels to the A/C line on the other side where it passes through a heat exchanger (tube over tube it looks like). Ive never even heard of this before but it is definitely OEM, anyone else seen one?
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

yes my 87is has one aswell

Comment

you think that's wierd, early 325ix's have power steering coolers.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Mine has it as well.
        Yours truly,
        Rich
        sigpic
        Originally posted by Rigmaster
        you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Mine had the fuel cooling system. I deleted it when doing my engine swap.
          S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
          What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
          Originally posted by slammin.e28
          I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

huh, that's kinda cool. Any idea why they had coolers? Fwiw my 318is doesn't have it.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

my 86' e had the same until I converted to 24v

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
                huh, that's kinda cool. Any idea why they had coolers? Fwiw my 318is doesn't have it.
                BC the 87's were so hot!
                Yours truly,
                Rich
                sigpic
                Originally posted by Rigmaster
                you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

There was a 6-9 month period (86-87) where ze germans thought they needed to cool the fuel returning back to the tank.

They corrected themselves, obviously, so no problem removing it. I've removed 3 sets.

Just bypass the whole setup. Remove hard lines that go along blower cover and the rubber lines on the a/c line. No need to plug them up. Then run a new rubber line from the hard line on the frame rail to the fuel rail.
                  turk@gutenparts.com

Originally posted by Janderson
                  Properly placed zip ties will hold bridges together.

Comment

strange system, especially since it would only work with the A/C on.
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
                      strange system, especially since it would only work with the A/C on.
                      seriously. it was a total WTF! when I realized what the system was and how it was supposed to work.
                      S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
                      What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
                      Originally posted by slammin.e28
                      I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        you think that's wierd, early 325ix's have power steering coolers.
                        wierd. Is it useful?

Comment

any pics!

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
                          1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

I've never heard of this, kinda cool but also kinda pointless I'm sure.

Comment

Its intended to prevent vapor lock. They figured it probably won't be hot enough to be needed unless you yourself are sweating like a pig and would need to turn on the a/c. Probably only useful in places like nevada

www.gecoils.com
                              My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X