M62 vs S54

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M62 vs S54

This is just for future upgrade, possibly after next season.

With S54 prices only coming down, has anybody compared the true swap costs between the M62 and S54?

Both swaps yield about the same amount of power. M62 is short and not very heavy, s54 is actually longer.

Electrically M62 swap seams easier, but mechanically S54 swap is easier.

Price wise, it seems that M62 swap will cost more due to the following:

a) cost of the 6speed tranny
    b) cost of the custom manifolds
    c) cost of the custom driveshaft
    d) cost of the custom mounts
    e) cost of going with tilton brake setup or custom relocated "stock" setup.

So, it almost seams that s54 might actually be cheaper to swap even with the higher initial cost?

I am not considering S50/S52 as the jump from the B35 is not worth the labor/cost IMHO so it will have to be an S54 or M62 (obd1). As much as I would love to go with LS1 or the like, it will bump me out of the SM class so that's not an option.

So, if you have compared these two swaps back to back, please share your findings :)

Thanks.
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

The reliability of the S54 should help make this an easy decision. Plus they really do have ALOT of torque down low.

Comment

euro s50b32 or s38?
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
        euro s50b32 or s38?
        The euro motor is probably close to the cost of an S54 swap overall, and similar power and procedure, but an easier swap due to the lack of gnarly integrated electronics. S38 honestly seems like it would be more up your alley Jean but obviously there is the suspension geometry issue with the subframe spacers if you want the hood to close, and the B36/B38 is just a big motor in general.

Comment

Originally posted by dark89e30 View Post
          The reliability of the S54 should help make this an easy decision. Plus they really do have ALOT of torque down low.

s54 333hp / 262ft/lb
          m62b44 282hp / 310-325ft/lb (non vanos/vanos)

M62 has more torque, so s54 doesn't really win over it with torque :)

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

no euro engines = can't bar it.
            no s38s = no thanks.

Comment

I think the correct answer here is "S62"

Seriously though, the S54 is more straightforward, I'd think
              '89 335is +turbo

Comment

M62's got my vote.
                [PAKSIW]
                20D .........
                vmwerks :up:
                ryan gmw :up:

Comment

Somehow I keep getting pulled toward M62 for track duty.
                  1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                  You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

What about M60? It's pretty much the same as M62, though the displacement is 10% lower but timing chain is has two rows and the electronics are simpler.. Another advantage is that when you buy E34 540 / E32 740 you can use the engine with all the ancillaries and the brake setup from the donor car, selling all the rest so the parts will end up costing nothing to you..
                    Though the gearbox will present a problem as i guess there aren't too many manual x40's around, so in that sense the E39 540 would be the best option?

As suggested above, what about S62? Search crashed M5, get all the parts from it and sell the rest. It shouldn't cost too much. The ECU can be reprogrammed at e30.de so the electronics wouldn't be a problem.

The engine mounts, exhaust manifolds etc are the same whether you use m60, m62 or s62.

Originally posted by dark89e30 View Post
                    Well, what's the reliability problem with M62? Haven't heard of any "extra problems"..
                    - E34 M5 (x 2) -
                    - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
                    - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
                    - E46 318i Touring -
                    - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                      no euro engines = can't bar it.
                      no s38s = no thanks.
                      What about the S54 converted to OBD I - has anyone been able to pull this off this swap and still get a CARB referee's seal of approval? I have yet to see an example that has. I know the S38 is doable in this state, but that motor seriously expensive to acquire, let alone rebuild/repair.

Jon
                      Rides...
                      1991 325i - sold :(
                      2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Originally posted by Jon325i View Post
                        What about the S54 converted to OBD I - has anyone been able to pull this off this swap and still get a CARB referee's seal of approval? I have yet to see an example that has. I know the S38 is doable in this state, but that motor seriously expensive to acquire, let alone rebuild/repair.

Jon
                        Nope, S52s aren't even supposed to be OBD1, you have to pass them as s50s.

Comment

I think the sound of the M62/S62 would seal the deal for me
                          '86 E30
                          '05 E53 X5
                          '72 Firebird
                          '10 Prius
                          '03 Tundra

Comment

If you want to go all out, then S62 would be the best choice. Can't argue 400 bhp out of the box and I wouldn't think it would cost any more than an S54.
                            1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                            You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

S62 is too much $$$, only two choices are M60/62 or S54 as both provide more than enough HP w/o going with FI (PITA in CA).

Currently my car appears to be competitive in the current config, BUT as with anything else it comes to racing comes time when you need go with more tire/hp to keep up with other cars.

Comment

Working...
                              X