New here... my first e30!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here... my first e30!

Hey guys, been lurking for about a month and finally joined. Just yesterday I took delivery of my first e30 - a 1988 M3 in Hennarot with black interior.

I am totally in love with this car! It is a project and needs a lot of work, but I couldn't be happier - didn't sleep last night.

So here's all about the car:

1988 BMW M3
    Hennarot with Black buffalo leather
    189,000 miles
    16" TSW Evo wheels
    Two previous owners (I'm the third)

Pros:
    Rare color combination
    EVO airbox
    Turner Motorsports Conforti chip (+24bhp, +19ft/lbs, 8000RPM redline)
    Sparco Strut bar (uninstalled)
    SS Brake Lines (uninstalled)
    Immaculate interior for its age/mileage. I mean it.

Cons:
    Non-running (but ran when last parked in January '10)
    Car has sat for the better part of 6 years
    Taillight leaks into trunk
    Rough paint on roof (may need new paint on roof?)
    Broken headlight
    Missing paint on rear bumper

So here are my plans:
    -Get it running
    -Get it road safe (tune up, fluids, hoses, bushings, tires, brakes, suspension, any issues)
    -Get it to pass emissions and start driving it
    -Realign rear bumper mounting
    -Add Period-correct 16" BBS wheels
    -Repaint roof
    -Replace body seals
    -Foglights, tow hook covers, shift knob

So that's it. It won't be getting an engine swap. No major engine performance stuff, unless the motor grenades then I'll do the 2.5L upgrade. It'll probably get suspension, HIDs, a cd player (currently has a Sony tape deck) and keyless entry. Other than that it will be stock.

'89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Great, now my keyboard's sticky...

Gorgeous car! Good price, I hope, given it's non-running status? What a great little project!
    Originally posted by LJ851
    kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
    ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
    #teamross
    Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Originally posted by kingston View Post
      Great, now my keyboard's sticky...

Gorgeous car! Good price, I hope, given it's non-running status? What a great little project!

$7500.

I think it's a reasonable price for its condition. I definitely didn't "steal" it or get it "for a song". The owner is a great guy and an enthusiast, and I think I paid fair.

It's a lot of cash for a non-runner, but if you consider the cost that "parts car" M3's go for, or cars with straight bodies but no motor, it's a good deal.

Comment

lol you say you are totally in love with that car, man!!! i sure believe you. I only have a non-m3 e30 and i'm in love. I bet your love is stronger than mine. nice car!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
          $7500.

I think it's a reasonable price for its condition. I definitely didn't "steal" it or get it "for a song". The owner is a great guy and an enthusiast, and I think I paid fair.

It's a lot of cash for a non-runner, but if you consider the cost that "parts car" M3's go for, or cars with straight bodies but no motor, it's a good deal.
          I'd say you got it for a steal. e30 M3's are pretty damn pricey. I could be wrong, but you get that motor going good, and you'd immediately be able to turn it around and sell it for $3k-$8k more. Great car, and thanks for sharing!

Comment

hey replied to you in s14 .
            dam wow 7,500 that was a steel.
            be careful posting here theres allot a haters not every one is happy for other people and they don't share the bmw m3 passion.
            i just bought my car for 14,500 plus had to pay 750 to ship it here.
            so you got your car half price.just rollers go for that amazing deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            So lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Right decision wow

Comment

$7500?

Not sure how much it will cost to get it running but usually a shell alone goes for about $5-6k. I think anyone would have never thought twice @ $7500. Congrats.

Comment

I'll give you $8k. haha
                Can't wait to see it in its former glory! Nice work

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3 View Post
                  be careful posting here theres allot a haters not every one is happy for other people and they don't share the bmw m3 passion.
                  I think you're 100% false there. People here certainly appreciate e30 M3's and perhaps show a little jealousy when a new one pops up. But never have I seen anyone say "I hate your m3, get a 325i". The biggest problem people on here have is actually a purist perspective when somebody cannibalizes a perfectly good shell or s14 and does a 24v swap or something. THAT's where their problem is. I am willing to bet that more people on this forum have a passion for m3's than people over at s14.... However, to the OP, nice m3, I love a car that needs some work. Good luck with it!
                  Max

Comment

Originally posted by broke30 View Post
                    I think you're 100% false there. People here certainly appreciate e30 M3's and perhaps show a little jealousy when a new one pops up. But never have I seen anyone say "I hate your m3, get a 325i". The biggest problem people on here have is actually a purist perspective when somebody cannibalizes a perfectly good shell or s14 and does a 24v swap or something. THAT's where their problem is. I am willing to bet that more people on this forum have a passion for m3's than people over at s14.... However, to the OP, nice m3, I love a car that needs some work. Good luck with it!
                    Max
                    just going with my first hand experience.
                    I got allot of negative comments on my new purchase of my e30 m3.
                    guys said they wouldn't even want one.and theres one foresale for 5 k they could care less about buying.that if you own a e30 m3 your a automatic prick well theses were there comments.
                    they hatted on my 1988 stroker and my e36 dinan supercharged 2.
                    well hope he enjoys the car and ignore people who are jealous.

Comment

heres the one i bought sure you saw it?

i will end up living in it if i don't sell my other 2 cars just kidding
                      i bought it for 14,500 plus 750 shipping.i looked local couldn't find anything with clean title ,un molested,working AC, ect.
                      plus i like white or black cars just my preference.
                      but your car is beautiful no doubt!!!
                      i just noticed you have center lug cool.my dream wheels are the dtm white weaves.you ever get rid those adapters ill take them.

Comment

heres the one i bought sure you saw it?

i will end up living in it if i don't sell my other 2 cars just kidding
                        i bought it for 14,500 plus 750 shipping.i looked local couldn't find anything with clean title ,un molested,working AC, ect.
                        plus i like white or black cars just my preference.
                        but your car is beautiful no doubt!!!

Beautiful! Yes I did see that one in my searching. I LOVE the Alpine white. Probably my favorite but I definitely like my Henna. Who am I kidding, I'd take an M3 in Poopenswhasch Brown.

Awesome car though. My AC is inoperable, and has a weird aftermarket pressure hose. Maybe from a retrofit?

Comment

just going with my first hand experience.
                          I got allot of negative comments on my new purchase of my e30 m3.
                          guys said they wouldn't even want one.and theres one foresale for 5 k they could care less about buying.that if you own a e30 m3 your a automatic prick well theses were there comments.
                          they hatted on my 1988 stroker and my e36 dinan supercharged 2.
                          well hope he enjoys the car and ignore people who are jealous.

i don't believe you. Everything you said above goes against my experience at r3v. link to thread with said flameage?

Comment

great find great buy. DO that baby right. Get her running!

Comment

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
                              Beautiful! Yes I did see that one in my searching. I LOVE the Alpine white. Probably my favorite but I definitely like my Henna. Who am I kidding, I'd take an M3 in Poopenswhasch Brown.

Awesome car though. My AC is inoperable, and has a weird aftermarket pressure hose. Maybe from a retrofit?
                              lol i have to agree with you too.i take one pink!!!!!!! probably only car you could have pink and guys still say dam love that car.
                              i herd the compressor is 1,300 bucks maybe thats new
                              well thats what the guy told me who i bought it since it has one.
                              i'm in California so need ac some states maybe don't need it.
                              you see the photos my engine bay?
                              it needs some detailing.
                              the valve cover is new but the intake loots shitty.
                              wish they sprayed the trunk and under hood too since it was resprayed taken down to metal.
                              what your plans for your car in future?
                              you keeping it stock?
                              I want mine stock but i do like the evo rear wing.
                              i also love the dtm wheels white!
                              i didn't get the rs wheels he wanted 1,600 more so he put back oem basket weaves.i sure love the EVO 3 but i need to be happy with what i got!
                              i will pay off the loan save up to rebuild the motor sue it will need it someday.
                              I saw 2 e30 m3's on the road last week.one white one black i couldn't stop staring i almost snapped my neck.
                              funny thing is 3 years back when i was modding out my e36 i saw them at the shop and thought how sick looking.I also thought my e36 is so much faster.
                              i remember seeing the prices and talking crap about the e30 m3 over priced.
                              I guess i was jealous cause i wanted one too.
                              I have a 360 hp m3 e36.
                              but speed isn't everything it seems its never fast enough so never satisfied .
                              the e36 m is a great car .
                              just the e30 m3 racing history and the fact it was built for the track first.
                              the body is just so sweet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              coolest part is its stock from bmw.
                              Its not like i like wide body kits and put it on this car came that way!!!!!!!!!
                              well hope we can help each other out and lear about these cars.
                              first thing i would do to your car besides the saddle soap and dye on the seats.Is go out buy all the tune up parts.drain all fluids and flush since it sat.
                              get new,spark plugs,wires,cap,rotor,fuel filter,oil change,radiator flush,thermostat,if it has pionts put in pointless ignition,get some new fuel in her,air filter,flush break fluid,replace all hoses,check brake pads, adjust valves
                              and i hope she fires up and runs great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X