Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N54 swap?

Has anyone though of doing this swap?

these motors could not be in the same price range as a S50/52... but was wondering if anyone had tried or though of it?

the m54 has been done so maybe someone can do this! twin turbo would be sick
    Originally posted by blunttech
    r3v does not fuck around. First you get banned, then they shoot you

Comment

THis would be a wiring nightmare a few orders of magnitude above an M54 I think...but would be an awesome motor! Other than than the whole high-pressure fuel pump debacle, of course...
      1991 318iS
      1992 911
      2006 330i 6-Spd ZSP people hauler

Gone:
      1989 M3 S50B32, 6-Spd
      1990 325ix 5-Spd

Comment

The high pressure pumps have pretty much been figured out....its more a combination of injectors/low pressure sensors that piss off most N54's now. N54 would be sweet, but I dont believe the cost would be worth it for 300 hp. You would basically need an N54 car that was rear-ended and swap over a good amount of modules/wiring.

Comment

Its not so much the 300hp you're after, its the spread of torque of 400nm from 1300rpm-5000rpm which is a bloody monster!
          Leo.

E30 318iS, E36 328i

Comment

Me and a buddy were at the dealership the other day getting some parts, and they had a 335 demo car out, i though it would be "the next step" if you will... yeah one would need a totaled 135/335 to get all the necessary items at a semi reasonable cost....

Comment

It would be a pain. You would have to use the factory DME if you plan on controlling the double vanos properly, but at the same time the DME would complain about absolutely any module not being present, so it would essentially have to be an N54 car in an E30 to the absolute. Most standalones within affordable range will not properly support the N54 yet. Honestly, I wouldn't be quick to swap one given the carbon issue, FP issues, and cost overall.

Comment

It would be neat. Lots of hurdles to overcome I'm sure. I think the n motors have weird vanos systems.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
                  It would be a pain. You would have to use the factory DME if you plan on controlling the double vanos properly, but at the same time the DME would complain about absolutely any module not being present, so it would essentially have to be an N54 car in an E30 to the absolute. Most standalones within affordable range will not properly support the N54 yet. Honestly, I wouldn't be quick to swap one given the carbon issue, FP issues, and cost overall.
                  You are totally right. You would essentially have to do what I am doing with my car, except with the n motor. The tricky part about swaps like this is that you have to use the n instrument cluster because it is the "information gateway" to the DME. So getting all the sensors in the body and control modules to read right and programming bits out of the DME takes LOTS of time, special programming requests to BMW, tons of research for compatibility just so the instrument cluster doesn't light up like a christmas tree.

Originally posted by greyis89 View Post
                  It would be neat. Lots of hurdles to overcome I'm sure. I think the n motors have weird vanos systems.
                  The n motors just have an updated vanos system. What they do on those motors is they have variable timed + variable lift valves. I have been able to take apart one of the v8 versions of this motor and they use an independent servo apart from the vanos controller to control a "mini cam" with really round lobes. The mini cam operates the dual rocker arms attached to the intake cam to manage how long the valve stays open. Pretty simple system, but complex programming.

Comment

Variable valve lift = valvetronic. Been around since the E65. It absolutely is possible, but you need to know what youre doing. Also, it would be cheaper to just buy a totaled 335i/535i and swap modules/wiring over. Buying each module would be astronomical, not to mention the fact that you would still have to program them somehow.

That would be one expensive E30, thats for sure.

Comment

Maybe I'm really wrong but it might be possible to use the trusty 413 ECU along with hoveringguy's vanos controller chip.

Great thing about N54 is that it actually does not have Valvetronic (variable valve lift) so it shouldn't be too bad for tuning.
                      Leo.

E30 318iS, E36 328i

Comment

Sorry.. I was thinking of the n52 and the n55 i believe with the valvetronic

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_328i View Post
                          Maybe I'm really wrong but it might be possible to use the trusty 413 ECU along with hoveringguy's vanos controller chip.

Great thing about N54 is that it actually does not have Valvetronic (variable valve lift) so it shouldn't be too bad for tuning.
                          True, no Valvetronic. I figured that out when I was researching the N54 throttle body. It's an upgrade over the M54 throttle body because it doesn't use the "wiper" mechanism but is completely touch-less Hall technology.

The VANOS part is relatively easy... the turbos don't have normal wastegates so that would be a small challenge. It can be done with the 413, but it would take tons of dyno time to get it right, and that's if the package fits in the e30 (we're using top-mount turbos because there's no room, remember?).

Comment

Not worth it at all. For less than half the cost you can do an LS1, which is lighter, has the same or greater power potential, and will sound much better!
                            Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Additional N54 into E30 swap information:
                              N54 into E30 swap information. Courtesy of V. Palariev drifter from Ukraine. I am only posting information that I was able to gather.
                              Wiring is not too bad if you have a whole donor car. firewall had to be cut and moved one foot toward inside for the oil pan to clear subframe, custom engine mounting ears had to be welded onto subframe. Pasanger side left foot well had to be cut and moved toward inside to make room for turbo downpipes.

For wiring, you need CAS car access system, EWS4 module, GM body module, you must have the matching cluster because it is all CAN BUS based, all these modules communicate via can bus as well as the DME.

I dry fitted a N55 into E30. N55 is easier because of single turbo and it clears the subframe. I already did N55 into E36 swap so I know what electronics need to be transferred from a donor car. I did the dry fit for now and it looks like it will work just fine. Custom oil pan will have to be made as well as the engine mounts, stock brake booster won't work it touches the engine computer, the E21 booster will have to be used and even then moved just a little.

Last edited by DesertBMW; 12-29-2015, 01:30 PM. Reason: n55 update

Comment

Working...
                              X