Vert trunk shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vert trunk shocks

I understand early verts had 1 300N shock while later models had 2 150N shocks. My question is...can I use a single 300N shock on a late model?
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

not to sure but i have some from late model if you need them

Comment

I believe that you may need some reinforcement for the bracket that connects the shock to the body.

I'm planning on modifying my early model couple chassis to handle the late model Dual 150N shock setup.
      stephenbrody.com

Comment

Originally posted by B Randon View Post
        not to sure but i have some from late model if you need them
        How much u lookin to get?
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

Okay, just to update since I found little info on the topic online...The trunk shocks are 100% interchangeable. The only difference is the early vert upto 4/89 production uses a single 300N shock while the later models used two 150N shocks. Why the change? I'm not sure. Here are my thoughts about the dual shock setup. 150N shocks are 1/2 as strong as 300N but there's two of them for even support but this means they are more expensive. Weak 150N shocks are already borderline since the vert trunklid is heavy especially if you have a spoiler. Long story short. I think it's best to find used 300N shocks. It may be too weak for a single shock setup but if you use two, it'll be perfect for a dual shock setup provided they aren't completely blown. They should last longer as well. If you buy two 150N shocks and one gets weak over the years, the single good 150N shock won't be enough to keep the trunk lid open.

Comment

i have a 300n since mines a early , works great!

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
              Okay, just to update since I found little info on the topic online...The trunk shocks are 100% interchangeable. The only difference is the early vert upto 4/89 production uses a single 300N shock while the later models used two 150N shocks. Why the change? I'm not sure. Here are my thoughts about the dual shock setup. 150N shocks are 1/2 as strong as 300N but there's two of them for even support but this means they are more expensive. Weak 150N shocks are already borderline since the vert trunklid is heavy especially if you have a spoiler. Long story short. I think it's best to find used 300N shocks. It may be too weak for a single shock setup but if you use two, it'll be perfect for a dual shock setup provided they aren't completely blown. They should last longer as well. If you buy two 150N shocks and one gets weak over the years, the single good 150N shock won't be enough to keep the trunk lid open.
              Barry, this is good to know since I just replaced my M-Tech trunk shocks and now they don't seem to be able to lift the trunk open completely! Once I fully open the trunk by hand, it stays open, but it doesn't "pop" open under it's own power. I couldn't figure out why, until I read this post.

Thing is, I cannot remember if I replaced only 1 or both shocks! I think it may have been only 1....I hope! Otherwise, my trunk shocks suck!

Comment

barry if i could id use 1 300N and 1 150N, the 2 150Ns really arent enough. if you have a fin or 3rd breaklight
                Much wow
                I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
                  barry if i could id use 1 300N and 1 150N, the 2 150Ns really arent enough. if you have a fin or 3rd breaklight
                  I experimented yesterday and ended up doing just that. 1 300N and 1 150N both bought used from the junkyard. The 300N worked great on its own but I added the other for extra support. I just pop it and trunk opens up by itself and stays there.

Comment

You can also use e28 hood shock but it won't open fully. Budget part, works well since e28 hoods are heavy.
                    sigpic
                    New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                    %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Re:

Its really great.
                      penegra,forzest

Comment

Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil View Post
                        You can also use e28 hood shock but it won't open fully. Budget part, works well since e28 hoods are heavy.
                        So then, you could use a e23 hood shock to open it fully? I have them on my e28 and they open the hood like on a Benz.

1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

the reason for 2 weaker shocks is the 1 300N will push up that left front section/side/corner on the trunk lid after a while. an old 86 I had would not let the trunk lid align for nothing anymore. 2 shocks at half the pressure evens it out.

Comment

the dual shocks are better!
                            using the single 300n shock will cause the trunk lid to warp and leak. me, ubernasty, and ill4noreason came to this conclussion when comparing our three verts last summer.

when it is compressed it exerts too much force on that one corner. what i did was remove the clips for the shock, then if i needed the trunk open i would hook it up, then un hook it when closing the trunk.

my pdr guy even supported this when he was getting the high/low spots out of the turnk

Comment

That makes sense. Didn't know this was an issue, thanks for chiming in guys. I can see how running a single 300N shock would cause that...it's a strong shock. Running two of them shouldn't cause this problem though right? I figured two used 300N's would be weaker than 300N but stronger than new 150N's while being much cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                              X