R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
nando

Raising money for cancer research..

Ok, I've definitely raised enough to do the ride, plus a significant amount more! The people on r3v have been very generous, for what is supposed to be a bunch of broke kids who can't afford to drive a new car (as if we'd want to anyway!). The total raised by you guys has been over $1200! I'm impressed, amazed, and thankful. Plus, it's going to a good cause.

Anyway, the ride is tomorrow morning, starting at 7am. I'll be tracking it on my Droid (hopefully). I did purchase an extended life battery, but unfortunately it was defective. so I have the stock 1500mah battery. I don't know if it will last a full day but I think it will.

You can go to the following link to track me live:
http://runtastic.com/en/users/Chris-...-sessions/list

It won't be active until I cross the border (I'm not paying data roaming for an hour of riding!). When it goes active, there'll be a little icon that says "live". Click on that activity and there will be a map of my current location, speed, etc. Also, underneath will be buttons you can click to "cheer" me - pretty cool, it plays them on my phone instantly.

We also have timing chips and you can follow the ride progress here
http://va12.conquercancer.ca/site/Pa...ide_with_us%27

I expect I'll be across the border sometime around 9am pacific time (I have nexus but there'll literally be 3000 people in line with me).

The current forecast is for rain, of course. I'm hoping for the best. It's been a very cold, wet spring. The heater in my house is still coming on, that hasn't happened during June in several years. brrrr.

I'm still accepting donations too, I'm only $75 away from breaking $3000. I'm pretty sure it can be done!

Original post:
Quote:
Maybe some of you have seen my signature - I'm raising money for cancer research and treatments, specifically for children's research. I know, I know, r3v is a bunch of broke kids. But, I did actually receive one donation already from the forum, which was a pleasant surprise. And every little bit counts!

I need to raise $2500 minimum to participate - I'm at $1545 right now. I have until June 16th to raise the rest of the money. We're also having a fundraiser at a local Pub, if any local guys want to come (tickets are $20, include a burger and a beer, and there's auction items and raffle prizes).

Once I've raised $2500, I get to participate in the ride, which is from southern BC, Canda to Seattle, WA, over 2 days. I did it back in 2009, and it was a lot of fun. Plus, I have a much nicer bike this year, so it should be even better!

Anyway, I'm sure many of you have been touched by cancer. We've definitely had forum members directly affected. I remember one person who actually died, and RobertK, who fought it off. I know many people who've died from cancer (who weren't neccesarily smokers or unhealthy). Any small donation will make a difference - and if you itemize your taxes, donations over $25 will receive a tax receipt to write it off.

here's my donation page:
http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/chrisseigman

thanks in advance for any contributions!

Last edited by nando; 06-15-2012 at 09:01 PM.
nando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
delatlanta1281
Dart Master

On it buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigmaster View Post
you kids get off my lawn.....
delatlanta1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
nando

Official R3v Donor List:

Thanks to all of the generous people on r3v, I was able to easily pass my goal of raising $2500!

Total raised by r3v: $1150!!!

mammoth_e30
Guten Parts
samiam3356
M-technik-3
acolella76
evoDRichie
bestwheelbase
Slippery
Nick_S
Blunttech.com
mbonanni
WOT-Tech
Kershaw
PeaveyBassist
gwb72tii
Jgood
Jean
Hoveringguy
Eric Wong
Nick Brema
Michael Colby
Richard Dufford
RobertK
E30 Memorial
Sean
FunfGan
FredK
rede30
MR325

some people I couldn't remember or find the SN for, if you want your real name changed let me know..

Last edited by nando; 06-15-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
markseven
R3V Elite

Nando, If you want to do a raffle on the r3v, I can donate a brand new Bimmerfest 2012 t-shirt (XL) and license plate frame as a raffle prize. I will ship directly to the winner (on my dime).
Old 05-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
nando

hey, that's actually a good idea.

I might have some stuff I could come up with for that. Maybe an M50 harness conversion, or cluster refurb. Also, I quite literally have a trailer full of E30 parts in my garage that I don't need. LOL

But, how to organize it? Auction?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
markseven
R3V Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando View Post
hey, that's actually a good idea.

I might have some stuff I could come up with for that. Maybe an M50 harness conversion, or cluster refurb. Also, I quite literally have a trailer full of E30 parts in my garage that I don't need. LOL

But, how to organize it? Auction?
Ask for donations in $5 increments. Each $5 earns a "ticket" or one chance to win a prize. For items like the M50 harness, people who want that should say so when they donate - you can group those people into a drawing for that prize.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
nando

okay, how much interest would there be in raffling off an M50 harness conversion or two? I don't want to do it if I only get like $25 in donations, it costs around $50 just in parts, not including time spent.

here's a pic of my work:
Old 05-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
markseven
R3V Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando View Post
okay, how much interest would there be in raffling off an M50 harness conversion or two? I don't want to do it if I only get like $25 in donations, it costs around $50 just in parts, not including time spent.

here's a pic of my work:
You should post this on the 24V forum
Old 05-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
acolella76
R3VLimited

Posting here to remind myself to donate when I get paid
Old 05-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
Desaevious
No R3VLimiter

Great cause. I am going to specialize in pediatric oncology in light of my sister's bone cancer and all my money is going into school so I can get there. But if research can kill off cancer then I'd happily move to a different specialty. Good luck!

SC*AR (Schwarz Army)
No longer stock ride height, rolling as low as a daily driver in New England should without worrying about breaking an oil pan.
Desaevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
nando

bone cancer, that's pretty awful. I hope your sister recovers!
Old 05-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
Desaevious
No R3VLimiter

Thanks, but that was in 2009. She took to the chemo/rad/bone marrow transplant and she's a happy college sophomore now.

SC*AR (Schwarz Army)
No longer stock ride height, rolling as low as a daily driver in New England should without worrying about breaking an oil pan.
Desaevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
freeride53
R3V OG

Best of wishes to your sister in her fight against bone cancer.
My grandmother is a breast cancer surviver. One of my aunts died from colon cancer, when her son, my cousin who was shipped away to Canada afterwards, was only 5 years old.

I will try to donate some to your cause later next week.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)| 1983 Peugeot 505 STI | 1992 Volvo 245 DL
freeride53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
nando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desaevious View Post
Thanks, but that was in 2009. She took to the chemo/rad/bone marrow transplant and she's a happy college sophomore now.
I'm glad, dang, she was pretty young then? basically high school? Nobody in high school imagines getting cancer that young. I sure didn't.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #15
nando

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride53 View Post
Best of wishes to your sister in her fight against bone cancer.
My grandmother is a breast cancer surviver. One of my aunts died from colon cancer, when her son, my cousin who was shipped away to Canada afterwards, was only 5 years old.

I will try to donate some to your cause later next week.
thanks!