Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If your automatic goes, just ditch the car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your automatic goes, just ditch the car?

I've been sensing that the automatic on my 1994 Toyota Camry is about to give up the ghost.
    I bought the car about 1 1/2 year ago with about 123k miles. My sister had a 96' Camry with the same engine and also automatic, but I don't remember hers being as slow as mine. Sometimes when I come to a stop and go to move off again, it behaves like I accidentally shifted into neutral for a second. I checked the tranny fluid and it was dirty, but when I stopped by a transmission place and asked how much for a service, the master tech there told me that I should just leave it alone if it's not leaking. He explained tha if my tranny fluid was dirty that the clutch disks are screwed but the particles in the fluid from the worn clutches is what's keeping the friction going. IF I service the tranny, the new fluid plus worn clutches will equal major slippage and then failure. I know one shop that will rebuild my tranny for 600 bucks, but the shop forman made it seem as if rebuilding auto trannies is stupid because the die a little over a year later.
    If An automatic transmission is made of interchangable parts that are available on the market, why the hell are people making it seem like rebuilding an automatic tranny is not worth it? Is it impossible to rebuild em to factory specs? The car cost me $1800 bucks, rebuild could possible cost that same amount. Im willing to drop that kind of money, but only if the rebuilt tranny can carry me another 123k miles with proper care.
    Please give any input or opinions if you have experience or knowledge with the whole deal of Automatic transmissions. I never owned an auto before my Camry and probably never would have, but manual Camrys are super rare.

I would try and sell the car now.

Comment

Drive to scrap yard with title and leave it.

May even get some $$ for it.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Lol at autos only lasting a year after rebuild. That's cause the shop wants you to come back and spend more money. And yes, any auto can be rebuilt. My dad has been rebuilding automatics for 30 years. It's something I need to pick up on. Cause people seem to be scared of automatics and shy away from them.

1992 BMW 325iC
        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

If that Camry is a 4cyl. and in good condition, consider swapping in a transmission that wasn't abused/neglected and drive it for many more years. There should be good availability at local yards and on craigslist. That generation of Camry is very reliable and well built. The diff and trans on those cars are partitioned and use different fluids. Its possible that someone went retarded and put the same fluid in both ports,or that they mistakenly changed the diff fluid thinking it was the trans fluid.

Comment

I'd sell the car. We sold my friends 96 Camry for 1300. Trans was whatever & the motor was toast. Couldnt even make it up a slight hill without overheating. Surprised someone even bought it.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
            DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Camry go along way find i tranny on cl and replace it it will most likely last you many years

Comment

swap the best synthetic trans fluid in there. it should breathe a bit of life in to it.

then sell it.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                  Lol at autos only lasting a year after rebuild. That's cause the shop wants you to come back and spend more money. And yes, any auto can be rebuilt. My dad has been rebuilding automatics for 30 years. It's something I need to pick up on. Cause people seem to be scared of automatics and shy away from them.

^ He is absolutely correct. I have had 2 rebuilt transmissions, 1 lasted until I sold the car, and the other died a year later.

As for me, I've been to technical training to rebuild an auto transmission. I have never done another one, and do not plan to.
                  No E30 Club
                  Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                  Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

A clean 94 Camry with 123k is like a $2500 car. The trans is cheap and common as flies. I'm sure you should have no trouble finding one for about $300.

edit:
                    I don't know where you are in Florida but a super quick search revealed these yards that have one for that price:
                    Anything & Everything Automotive, Inc.
                    A-1 Used Parts
                    Guaranteed Auto and Truck Parts

and for $250:
                    Diamond Used Auto Parts
                    I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
                    Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

I'd also like to know where in SFL you are, we have a shop on the Pompano Beach/Ft.Lauderdale line. A quick skim over my wreckers inventory, looks like they have used trans' for about $400-500 with warranty.

If the car is in good shape otherwise, fix it. I had the trans in my truck rebuilt at 113k miles and it lasted until the head gasket went at 195k miles (4yrs).

I can hook you up with a few good re-builders, one of my friends just did the trans in my father's work truck about 6mos ago, then he had a spark plug blow out (Ford lol) and instead of replacing the head I put a used motor from my wrecker in since the rest of the truck is in nice shape (and it's paid for).
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Anyone who will get a tranny barely running just to get a quick sale on an unsuspecting buyer is a complete ASSHOLE. And no, this is not a case of buyer beware, doing that is complete scum and I would wager likely even fraud. *Shakes Head* I can't believe what I just read.

Comment

Originally posted by canadiankid View Post
                          Anyone who will get a tranny barely running just to get a quick sale on an unsuspecting buyer is a complete ASSHOLE. And no, this is not a case of buyer beware, doing that is complete scum and I would wager likely even fraud. *Shakes Head* I can't believe what I just read.
                          I was thinking the same as I was read the thead too...

1992 BMW 325iC
                          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

agreed!
                            1988 e30 alpine white vert 5speed
                            1987 e30 325 eta
                            1983 e28 533
                            2001 x5 4.4l
                            1997 e36 M3 Alpine white 5speed
                            1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

Comment

wow buddy! I hope you aren't referring to me? My title says "ditch the car" not sell it before it screws up. If i decide to get another car I will sell this one "as Is" and advertise it with the fact that the tranny some times slips.

Comment

Working...
                              X