“Bavauto” Headers Group Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Bavauto” Headers Group Buy

So I’ve been looking for a set of headers for my M20 stroker build for a while. Unfortunately, as most of you know, the available options are very polarized. Either you can spend $1000+ on a set of name brand headers that fit wonderfully, or you can spend $200 on a set of ebay headers and hope that the stars were aligned when that set was welded to have a chance that they fit at all. It’d be nice if there was a middle ground right? That use to be the Bavauto headers, but unfortunately they discontinued their header program last year. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Bavauto headers, they are a true long tube header. The primaries are 1 3/8” diameter and the collectors are 2” diameter. The headers are manufactured out of AKDQ mild steel and then coated. Here are a few pictures of what they look like installed:

After a couple e-mails with Bavauto I found out that they were getting their headers manufactured by a company in Rockland, MA called Tubular Automotive and then sent out to Jet-Hot for coating. Last week I called them up to see if they’d make me a set. Once I found out they would, I inquired about group buy pricing. After speaking with them today I have the following information to report…

Traditionally Bavauto would sell these headers with the mid-section that deletes the cat and resonator. However after speaking with the company they offered me pricing on just the headers as well as the headers and mid-section. Please note that without the mid-section you will need to have an exhaust shop connect the dots for you. The only reason I asked for this option is because some people may have no use for the catless midsection and will need to get a custom mid-section fabricated to include a cat for emissions purposes.

For the 325i and 325e the price for a set of uncoated headers will be $500. The price for the headers and mid-section is $550. At 10 sets the price will drop by $10 so $490 and $540 respectively.

For the 318i the price of a set of uncoated headers will be $490, however that price includes the mid-section. From what he said, the mid-section on the 318i header was welded to the header. So if you want no mid-section it will be dealt with on a per-case basis. The same discount applies here at 10 sets

The discount will apply to the total number of sets, regardless of whether they are 325 or 318.

If you’d like your headers coated, Tubular Automotive will send them to a local coater. The price is $200 per set for the 325 and $190 for the 318i and if the volume was high enough (5-10+ sets) the coater will give a 10% discount on that price.

On a final note, one thing that the gentleman at Tubular Automotive mentioned to me is that the pricing might float a little bit depending on what price he can buy the material at. The pricing he gave me was based on what it was costing them to make the headers when they were buying high volumes of the material, however he hasn’t had to buy the material in a while since the demand was so low. This time around he won’t be buying as much so he warned me that he may have to adjust the pricing slightly once he prices out the material. Availability of the material will also determine what the lead time will be on manufacturing these headers, however once they have the material in house the turn around will be fairly quick (3-4 weeks).

Also, these prices do not include shipping. The gentleman at Tubular Automotive said that they could ship to your doorstep but the cost will depend on the location and will be determined on a per-order basis (shipping will be with UPS standard).

With all that being said, I’m posting this to see whose interested in a set of these headers? If you’re interested please PM me or add your name to the list with the type of header you want (325 or 318 cyl), if you want the mid-section (6-cyl only), coated or uncoated, and the number of sets (if you want more than one set).

Thanks for looking.

1) Bullet Ride 325, mid-section included, coated, 1 set.
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 07-03-2012, 01:19 PM.

Those look really nice
    88 325is Five Speed
    Lachssilber

Comment

I'm in. 325, mid section also, uncoated, 1 set
      sigpic

2011 335i/1995 Mercedes C220 (rallyx)

Comment

Hell yeah! I was just looking on the bavauto website the other day and couldn't figure out what happened to the headers.

2) Gary Horneck 325, mid section included, uncoated, 1 set
        3) tinkerputzer, 325, midsection included, coated, 1 set
        4)
        5)

Comment

4) delatlanta1281, 325, mid-section included, coated, 1 set
          5)
          6)
          7)

Comment

i like my exhaust manifolds because they keep it easy hwne i do an oil change...

i hate how hard an oil filter change becomes with headers.
            1989 325i SETA stroker [delphin] R3V'd 8/31/2011
            1989 325ix [zinnoberrot] $OLD
            1970 2002 [Nevada]

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken
            guy must have slid into something that doesn't look like a car vs car hit
            Originally posted by ak-
            Must of slid into Rob

Comment

relocate the oil filter?
              -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
              -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
              MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
              Got Drop?? ;-)
              Originally posted by JinormusJ
              But of course
              E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

5) Van Westervelt, 325, mid-section included, uncoated, 1 set
                6)
                7)
                sigpic

Comment

6) Slippery, 325, mid-section included, coated, 1 set
                  7)
                  Last edited by slippery; 07-06-2012, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robotin View Post
                    i like my exhaust manifolds because they keep it easy hwne i do an oil change...

i hate how hard an oil filter change becomes with headers.
                    Yes, you won't be able to reach down from the top side like you can with the stock manifolds, but as you can see from the pictures, there is still adequate room to get a filter wrench on there from the bottom side. So it'll take you a couple extra minutes to do an oil change a few times a year... it's worth it in my opinion.

4) delatlanta1281, 325, mid-section included, uncoated, 1 set
                    6) Slippery, 325, mid-section included, uncoated, 1 set
                    7)

Comment

Are you sure the headers are 1 3/8" ?

I have installed Bav auto M20 headers and they were def not that small, i think they were 1 5/8" like my Hartge ones, plus in your pics they look bigger than 1 3/8"

If they are 1 5/8" i might be interested...
                      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                        Are you sure the headers are 1 3/8" ?

I have installed Bav auto M20 headers and they were def not that small, i think they were 1 5/8" like my Hartge ones, plus in your pics they look bigger than 1 3/8"

If they are 1 5/8" i might be interested...
                        The guy I spoke with told me 1 3/8". If you look at the picture where it shows the header just bolted to the head, knowing that the OD of the collector is 2" it's not hard to believe that those tubes could be 1 3/8". This is follows a discussion I had with one of the guys working at Korman about their Korman-Stahl headers. The set that they sell for "hard running street/track days cars" has 1 3/8" primaries. The race headers that they sell have 1 1/2" primaries. I think that unless your motor is going to be living continuously in the upper part of the rev band anything over 1 3/8" is over kill and you're sacrificing low end torque for top end power. The exhaust ports on the M20 head are only like 1 1/4" after all.

But next time I call I will double check the size of the primaries and if they are larger than 1 3/8" I'll let you know.

Comment

BTW, when said 1 5/8" i mean the OD of the tubes, not the ID.
                          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                            BTW, when said 1 5/8" i mean the OD of the tubes, not the ID.
                            Yep. I was talking about OD as well. Like I said I'll double check for you next time I call.

Comment

6) Slippery, 325, mid-section included, uncoated, 1 set
                              7) Mendi3, 325, mid-section included, uncoated, 1 set
                              8)
                              OO=(ll)=OO
                              -----------
                              91 E30 Coupe 325is 5 Speed

Comment

Working...
                              X