Another M60 build....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another M60 build....

This is not going to be nearly as impressive as the other recent builds but I figured I'd make a thread of my build so here goes....

Its going to be in my 86 325es. I recently sold my turbo setup and engine.

I bought a 95 540i donor that will be coming apart this week.

I am going to run a 530i 5 speed transmission with stage one e36 clutch. I will be using a e39 540i flywheel. I think I am going to use the stock dual mass for now. Everything is purchased except for the flywheel so that is still up in the air.

I am using a z3m 3 row aluminum radiator. I will have to build something for the upper hose and I hear a m5x lower hose will fit fine.

I bought x5 4.4 headers that should be delivered tomorrow and I will be ordering some 2.25 curved exhaust pieces to build my downpipes. I also bought a new welder for this part of the project.

As far as brakes go I am leaning towards manual but don't have my mind made up yet. I think the engine bay will look much cleaner without the booster and abs pump under the hood.

On to some very uneventful pictures. Excuse my dirty garage as I had to empty the side "shed" area to dolly my car in so its out of the way. I did not reorganize as of these quick teaser photos.

And completely off topic but we found a baby bunny nest in the woods yesterday. My girlfriend was worried that their mom abandoned them so we checked online and if their bellies are pudgy they are still being fed. These babies seem to be nice and pudgy lol.

Nice! Good luck with the build.

FYI, I tried the factory dual-mass flywheel with the m52 clutch... It doesn't work. I have pictures in one of the earlier threads in this forum explaining why. There may be some sort of aftermarket clutch disc that does work, but the ClutchMasters FX100 does not.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
      Nice! Good luck with the build.

FYI, I tried the factory dual-mass flywheel with the m52 clutch... It doesn't work. I have pictures in one of the earlier threads in this forum explaining why. There may be some sort of aftermarket clutch disc that does work, but the ClutchMasters FX100 does not.
      Well I'm glad you told me that. I was trying to save a few bucks for now but guess that idea is out the window lol. You went with a uuc lightweight flywheel right?
      Last edited by mark///m3; 08-26-2012, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark///m3 View Post
        Well I'm glad you told me that. I was trying to save a few bucks for now but guess that idea is out the window lol. You went with a uuc lightweight flywheel right?
        Yeah, that was my goal too, and it ended up costing me an extra $200. Doh! And yes, I went with the UUC flywheel.
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Nice start!

Feel free to PM me with any questions!

Comment

I brought my donor car home today. It is super clean so hopefully I can make a couple bucks back on some of the parts. I figured I'd pop in my 404 dme to make sure it works before the car comes apart. It didn't start the car.... I wonder if because the e34 has ews inplace it wont start unless the ews unit is unplugged. Can somebody confirm this theory? Or possibly a bad dme. I want to figure this out soon since the dme is nearing the end of its 30 day warranty.

Here is the dme

Its a shame this cars life is over, its so clean

Comment

EWS isnt aligned.

Dont feel bad those things are junk!

Comment

Give me the door panels lol
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

A little motivation for you Mark... I got your mounts cut, prepped and welded before I left tonight. All they need is dressed and painted and they're ready. Once I get the aluminum stock in my hands, I'll get the spacers made up and then get it all packed up and ready to send off... hopefully by the end of the week!

Garey

Comment

Originally posted by dirty30 View Post
                    EWS isnt aligned.

Dont feel bad those things are junk!
                    Yeah that is true, the fuel pump relay is still going to need to be activated by the ews in this car.
                    Originally posted by Jean View Post
                    Give me the door panels lol
                    Oh man I can't imagine what shipping would be across country.
                    Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
                    A little motivation for you Mark... I got your mounts cut, prepped and welded before I left tonight. All they need is dressed and painted and they're ready. Once I get the aluminum stock in my hands, I'll get the spacers made up and then get it all packed up and ready to send off... hopefully by the end of the week!

Garey
                    Sweet! Maybe I can get the motor sitting in place next week and start working on my downpipes. My x5 headers came in yesterday. I just need to order my new steering joints.

Comment

Mark - yeah sucks that you aren't nearby! Hey, how about just the door pulls, at the minimum I need the rears if they are the leather stitched/covered and not just the plastic kind.
                      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by mark///m3 View Post

Oh man I can't imagine what shipping would be across country.
                        Mark, ship them via Greyhound Freight... I had doors, bumper covers, etc shipped that way and it was not very expensive. If you're just shipping interior door panels, it should only be around $50-$75 to get them to Sac-town...

Garey

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                          Mark - yeah sucks that you aren't nearby! Hey, how about just the door pulls, at the minimum I need the rears if they are the leather stitched/covered and not just the plastic kind.
                          I will check and let you know about the back handles. Garey makes a good point, if you need the whole panels I have shipped Greyhound a few times in the past with great luck. The only challenge is finding a big enough box. From quick glance last night these were very clean.

Comment

The baby bunny is soo adorable. :)

Comment

Originally posted by xxx-Lost-Soul-xxx View Post
                              The baby bunny is soo adorable. :)
                              They got way bigger and now they are off in the woods. Hopefully they make it ok!

Comment

Working...
                              X