Loud Front strut, shock suspension knock, pop after install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loud Front strut, shock suspension knock, pop after install

Just changed my driver side strut and now im getting a knocking noise.
    I can push up and down on the fender and hear the knock. When I drive its pretty loud.
    I've literally reinstalled the springs three times... And now my back is giving up.
    So I need you're help.
    I've read other threads but damn people don't leave solutions.
    End links are tight. And top strut mount is torqued correctly.
    Any other people have this problem?

is your gland nut tight? is the strut insert the right size? is is seated correctly in the strut?
    cars beep boop

Comment

The only thing that would make sense is that the strut is moving up and down in the housing. How would I solve this?

Comment

my questions were meant as a list of things you should check. The only places that could even be making a popping sound in the strut setup are the lower balljoint (if it's worn), the strut insert (if it's seated badly), and the upper strut mount (if it's about to fall apart)
        cars beep boop

Comment

if it's moving in the housing make a small spacer to put in the bottom to fill the gapped area.
          sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

what did you replace it with? stock, billie hd, billie sport, koni? Be more specific so we can help
            sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

I feel like giving up and going to an auto yard and get a new housing+strut for $40.
              I just hope the strut isn't blown.. Lol

Comment

Oh yeah. Stock springs and just some Gabriel ultra struts from autozone

Comment

I literally spent 4 hours on one side haha!

No air gun. No torque wrench. Just ratchets.
                  Compressing.. decompressing.. And again and again.
                  I actually broke the top of the strut after torquing the nut too much with a breaker bar and three washers.. Only because I thought that was the problem.

Do I have to tighten the strut mount nut while the springs are compressed by the tool or can I tighten it with everything installed? Because that's what I've been doing.

Comment

If the strut insert is the correct part for the car (you don't say what you used) and the gland nut is tight, I'd suspect that you left out the large washer that goes between the upper spring perch and the upper strut mount. Or that the upper strut mount is bad.
                    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

How many washers go in between the perch and mount?

Comment

I feel dumb.. I forgot the washer under the strut collar. So, the strut was moving up and down in the housing.

Comment

It still clunked after I installed the washer and found out my strut mount went bad after the new struts.

Comment

Is the strut mount the rubber top....i am having the same problem

Comment

if clunking is happening on the up and down motion of the shock, the nut the secures the shock to the housing is probably loose.
                              Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
                              BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Working...
                              X