Isuzu Trooper thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isuzu Trooper thread.

Going to look at a 93 with just over 100K tomorrow morning.

5 speed manual, 4wd.

The more I read into them the more I like. Any first hand experiences?

Going to quote this so it's on the first page, in case you don't feel like scrolling through.
    Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
    I love this truck!

As I picked it up:

It had a high idle, Check engine light. But the body came equipped with great paint and not a spot of rust. The frame itself is covered in surface rust unfortunately, but I can put a stop to that.

After a few hours of vacuuming, washing, and waxing, this is the result:

Then I figured out how to get the ECM to tell me what it wanted.

So about $100 later, I had installed an IAC, TPS, and ECT sensor. Goodbye CEL, Goodbye high idle, hello excellent running vehicle!

Also gave it some M1 15w50 to drink.

Thanks for the advice everyone, we're off to an excellent start!

Going to order some Goodyear Duratracs in 265/75r16's this week. Setting it up right for DD status rain, shine, or snow.

Changed thread title. If you have one, share.

Current setup.

Last edited by Exodus_2pt0; 11-13-2013, 09:19 PM.
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

They

Don't

Die.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

me and my brothers have first gen troopers. he did a 2.8 turbo diesel swap from japan in his . were currently working on doing a SAS on it from a jeep wagoner, and a mitsubishi montero rear axle with the factory air locker. we never had experience with the 2nd gen troopers but im sure there great.

Comment

From what ive seen and driven, they are bulletproof.
        sigpic

Comment

we rented one once when they were new. I didn't have my license yet (8 at the time), but loved it's styling. A gas hog coming from a Volvo 245 Wagon, but it was auto with the 3.2 engine with 4wd as well

they seem to be bullit proof
          If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

I had one as my first vehicle and owned it for 3 years. Pretty much bulletproof. They will go pretty much anywhere, fit almost anything, tow anything (pulled 8000lbs 40 miles one time, would not recommend it but it does work). I had it lifted 7 inches, 3 body, 4 suspension. Watch for frame rust and keep an eye on the oil. They have bad body roll. I had mine on 2 wheels multiple times. 11/10 would recommend.

Any questions, feel free to ask. Still pretty much an expert on them

318is, m50tu g240 s3.46

Comment

I like what I'm hearing!

May have found my new DD. Luckily I only work 5 miles from home so mpg isn't an issue. But reliability is.
              No E30 Club
              Originally posted by MrBurgundy
              Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

My brother has (had) one and drove it a few times from New Mexico to Va, no problems. I drove it a couple times, don't remember anything bad about it, seemed like a good truck.
                1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

I had a 97 rodeo that was a freaking champ! Used to do driving around back roads and just cut the wheel going ~50 to jump ditches into fields and blast around in the snow. It became the rescue vehicle for all my friends lifted trucks (s-10 and dakota). Had to put 3 alternators into the thing though....not sure if bad remans or what but it was a 30 minute job and parts had a lifetime warranty. The only downfall was frame rot that these things are notorious for. After the rodeo I always wanted a trooper...poor mans discovery perhaps?
                  Swanny!
                  SUCKERS.

Comment

My brother got a 1994 Trooper as his first car when I was 12. Loved the looks and it seemed to drive fine. Took it to the beach and the transmission crapped out right before we got to the hotel. We ended up putting it on a tow dolly and pulling it back home with my dads suburban. We had a local mechanic fix the transmission but it fucked up again in a couple hundred miles so we ended up getting rid of it. From others opinions of the car, it sounds like our problems were out of the ordinary
                    sigpic

Comment

I wish I still had my first gen. I drove a 2nd gen for about a year, and loved it. Nothing bad to say about them. 2nd Gen was good enough to be re-badged by Acura.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny View Post
                        I had a 97 rodeo that was a freaking champ! Used to do driving around back roads and just cut the wheel going ~50 to jump ditches into fields and blast around in the snow. It became the rescue vehicle for all my friends lifted trucks (s-10 and dakota). Had to put 3 alternators into the thing though....not sure if bad remans or what but it was a 30 minute job and parts had a lifetime warranty. The only downfall was frame rot that these things are notorious for. After the rodeo I always wanted a trooper...poor mans discovery perhaps?
                        Alternators are a major issue if the truck is off roaded, they are very low on the motor and get wet easily. Pretty much any gm alt will bolt on and work tho and they are cheap.

318is, m50tu g240 s3.46

Comment

since no one has mentioned has how slow the 1st gen 4 cyl trucks were, let me address that. slow. so slow it explains why i think my m42 car is a dragster.

cool in a Japanese-land rover way.

Comment

my family used to own one when I was a little kid. It was so slow but my mom beat the piss out of it every day and it never died.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                            Ig:ryno_pzk
                            I like the tuna here.
                            Originally posted by lambo
                            Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

in like my 93 Trooper 5spd ,purchased 10 yrs/15k miles ago with a blown engine thru our shop (run out of oil, most common issue is oil consumption on the V6 motors) put a used wrecking yard motor in it . i plan to use it to tow my race car around . right now it just the deep snow/camping rig and its gone everywhere ive wanted it too. hauled a new garage door home in it last weekend
                              Angus
                              88 E30M3 X2
                              89 325IX
                              92 R100GS/PD
                              :)

Comment

Working...
                              X