FS: 1974 2002 M42 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS: 1974 2002 M42 swap

Posting this here to get some more eyes on it.

Have you been thinking about getting out of your e30 and into a 2002? We'll have I got an opportunity for you...

Anyway long story short is that I bought this car in December of 2020 with the intent of resto modding it. Plan was going well until my wife and I decided to have a kid which we did in early 2022. Now who has time for a restoration project.

I do have the car in a drive able state but it does need more work to drive well (shifter is the biggest driving challenge)

Basics of the car: 1974 2002 Automatic (before the swap)
    Chamonix over Blue

Exterior:
    Paint is in kinda ok shape... definitely multiple layers of paint there
    Driver side rocker panel is the only concerning rust that I have found
    E30 Bottle Cap wheels
    Belt Line trim is gone, planned to shave it
    Could use some new weatherstripping/seals
    No bumpers front or rear

Interior:
    Heater box rebuilt (New seals, new fan, water valve rebuilt, new mounting bracket)
    Original seats and door panels (seats are cracked/splitting)
    Carpets removed for planned replacement
    Rebuilt Pedal Box and Booster linkage (IE performance bearings)

Engine and Transmission:
    M42 and g240 5 speed
    Engine Rebuilt (E36 timing setup with new guides, new chain, new bearings, valve guides, hyd lifters, piston rings, classic daily engine mounts, headers, and AFM mount, IE exhaust system with custom downpipe)
    Coil On Plug ignition
    Electric fan on modified M42 radiator
    Drivetrain refresh (new solid flywheel and clutch kit, garagistic solid mount shifter (not a fan), Rebuilt CV Joints, Classic Daily transmission mount)
    E30 318i driveshaft with Classic Daily CSB mount brackets
    No tachometer, no speedometer
    Differential could use a refresh, it's a little noisy
    Battery relocated to trunk (E30 cable)
    E30 fuel pump

Suspension:
    IE 3 and Koni shocks
    all new urethane bushings
    new ball joints
    New tie rods and steering bushings
    New bearings front and rear
    Fixed camber plates

Brakes:
    Front (New Pads, discs, hoses, passenger caliper)
    Rear (New cylinders, shoes, drums, flex lines)

I am about $9000 into the car and that's what I am asking for. I am open to offers.

Last edited by NC325iC; 04-08-2024, 05:11 PM.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Thank God it’s on the other side of the country
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Saw this on FAQ too...neat car

If anyone wants the shell, Im happy to discuss parting it out together. M42 swap sounds nice...

Comment

Bump... tell your friends!

Comment

Originally posted by MasukBMW View Post

If anyone wants the shell, Im happy to discuss parting it out together. M42 swap sounds nice...
                I'll be parting a M42 swap soon. Hit me.

Comment

Bump, don't forget I am open to offers.

Comment

What’s up with the solid mount shifter? It doesn’t shift well?

congrats on the baby!

Comment

Shifter review:

1) it's pretty expensive

2) Was a little annoyed that I had to enlarge the hole in the tunnel, but I expected that.

3) Then after that I installed the shifter only for the lever to contact the driveshaft. Garagistic service says they knew about that issue and I can buy an extra plate to space it up off the driveshaft. Making it more expensive.

4) Now it shifts like crap. I think it needs to be spaced up higher to align the linkage better. I also think I need to add the little piece behind the joint on the transmission cause it's floppy as hell even with a dssr.
                      ​​​​

Comment

Bumping this back to. Price down to $9000 obo

Comment

Working...
                        X