FOUND!! CA Legal S50/52 swapped E30 Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FOUND!! CA Legal S50/52 swapped E30 Coupe

Hey there E30 fanatics. I'm going to introduce myself simultaneously as my WTB post. I've been lurking for some time pondering what direction I was going to head next. What an impressive community! Reminds me of the '70s Honda single overhead cam motorcycle forum (CB550 and CB750) which was my previous garage obsession (before kids).

I love how helpful the veterans are helping the newbies. Makes me confident in my decision to dive down the E30 rabbit hole.

I've owned a couple E39 M5s and recently sold my '16 M4 to be a responsible adult and buy my first home with my wife. This has left a gaping horsepower hole in my soul that I desperately need to fill.

I've decided that a swapped E30 is the perfect balance of character, driver's experience, quickness, maintainability, etc that won't debilitate my bank account to acquire or work on. I've logged many a track day in each of my previous bimmers and although that's not out of the question, the car will mostly be used for weekend canyon cruises.

I know there is a wide spectrum of the skill of the mechanic (no offence to the weekend DIYer) and thereby the quality of end-result of a swap, but I'd really like an example that's been done by a professional. I'm most concerned with mechanical soundness, smoggability, driving experience, reliability, and a nice straight body. I want my wife to be able to jump in and enjoy it as well without giving it a second thought.

My list of needs:

$15k budget (preferably less)
    S50B30 or S52B32 (or even S54 if possible)
    Coupe
    No 'vert
    MT (duh)
    BAT CA legal and smoggable
    Relatively low mileage donor motor or recent rebuild
    Clean title
    No rust (patina is fine)
    Straight body
    Functioning gauges and electronics

My list of wants:
    Grey, black, or blue exterior
    Tasteful exterior mods (euro light conv., IS/M3 decklid and airdam, etc)
    AC
    Clean interior, intact dash
    Recaros
    Short throw weighted shifter
    Properly tuned coilover suspension, "daily driver" spring rates
    Swaybars/strut tower bars
    Weight balanced
    5 Lug swap
    Upgraded braking

I'm the first to admit I'm a total rookie when it comes to the subtle differences between model years, swap and donor options, mods, etc, so am very open to suggestions and recommendations if I appear to be barking up the wrong tree. I'm also open to finding a good donor car and motor and having a local shop do the install if it can be done reasonably. Thanks in advance for any leads or suggestions. I'm excited to join the community!
    Last edited by PacificExposure; 03-14-2018, 12:20 PM.

Pm sent

Pm sent.

Comment

bump. cash in hand ready to go for the right example

Comment

Originally posted by PacificExposure View Post
        bump. cash in hand ready to go for the right example
        Its pretty close to your budget and requirements, and being a 4door you wont have to sell it when you inevitably have children so its a win win

Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          Its pretty close to your budget and requirements, and being a 4door you wont have to sell it when you inevitably have children so its a win win

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=414946
          I definitely sent a PM to the OP of that thread with no reply. It has been 5 months since the original post, so not sure if it's still available. BTW, I already have a 15 month old son and wife is pushing for #2

Comment

I have Andrews #. I will reach out
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I am in a similar position as you; I am contemplating selling my STi to pick up a swapped (CA BAR'd) E30 and am scanning the forums to see if anything jumps out.

Good luck with your search and hope you find something soon, and if you do, please post what you get!

Comment

Originally posted by DJFartBox View Post
                I am in a similar position as you; I am contemplating selling my STi to pick up a swapped (CA BAR'd) E30 and am scanning the forums to see if anything jumps out.

Good luck with your search and hope you find something soon, and if you do, please post what you get!
                After seeing several overpriced and underwhelming examples in CA, I ended up pulling the trigger on a really clean S50 swap from out-of-state. The builder did some great period correct mods and the interior is immaculate (grandmother driven prior to swap). I had a PPI done at an independent BMW shop and they were very impressed with the overall condition. The tech that inspected it said if I didn't buy it, he would have!

Going to cost me a bit to get it to CA and to get it CARB legal, but the price was right to take a bit of a risk. Excited to join the community!

Last edited by PacificExposure; 03-14-2018, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Very nice! Do you mind sharing or PM'ing me how much you paid? I'm curious as I'll be in the same position on looking for a swap aswell.

Comment

Very nice find! Welcome!
                    My previous build (currently E30-less)
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by hakstern View Post
                      Very nice! Do you mind sharing or PM'ing me how much you paid? I'm curious as I'll be in the same position on looking for a swap aswell.
                      This was on sale in Dallas a while ago for $10k. And I guess it sold to a guy in Baton Rouge where it was on sale for $8500 obo for month or so and this guy bought it. There are good cars at good prices to be had when you look nationwide.

Comment

Working...
                      X