1987 325i Convertible, Delphin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 325i Convertible, Delphin

OK, so I've only had this car since July but it's time for me to move on. I picked it up in a pinch after my 325is got totalled by some jackass on the freeway (not me, though I'm sure I've occasionally fit that description). However, since then I bought a house in the sticks and I now commute 110 miles a day. I'm just not feeling the convertible as a practical daily, and so I'm finding myself disinterested in doing the work it needs. I'd like to pass it on to someone who can use it better than I.

It's Delphin metallic over black leather, pretty clean and very shiny even at 270,000 miles. The motor was blown by the previous owner (it turns out you really CAN'T make it all the way home even though the temp gauge is pegged in the red), and she had it replaced by BMW in 1999 to the tune of 6 grand (!). When she explained this to me, she said "And the rest of the car was in such good condition, and the new engine was so cheap!" I guess it's all relative. This makes it the smoothest and zippiest-feeling stock M20B25 I've had the pleasure of experiencing.

The exterior, as I said, is pretty clean and glossy. There are a couple dimples in the hood and some similar imperfections in the trunklid (not really visible in the photos, sorry). Other than that, there's just the typical surface scratch here and there. These buff out well and the clearcoat's in good shape, with no peeling.

The black interior is in excellent shape. The photos show a little fading in the leather but I've re-dyed it since then. The driver's seat has the typical little wear spot on the left bolster, and the backseat has a split in the top seam, which is a federal requirement for all E30 convertibles. The carpet's nice, the dash is crack-free, all the instruments and gauges and electrical items work great, and there's a decent Sony flip-face deck in there that is black when closed, so it blends in just fine.

The manual top works perfectly and is in fine condition, looking newer than it is, and the rear window is reasonably clear, not cloudy and discolored.

You get a bunch of new parts installed within my ownership (5 months): Lemfoerder control arms, M3 offset CABs, new tie rods, and newish tires all around (at least 90% tread life remaining), new timing belt/water pump/tensioner, clutch master and slave cylinders, updated pedal box, and tuneup parts.

I've driven this car 7,000 miles in the last 5 months, and it has proven a reliable and bulletproof commuter and a blast to drive in the mountains on a fall SoCal day. Anyone from around here knows that right now is the perfect time for a convertible - not too hot, not too cold, just nice. That said, the AC in this car works decently - it's refreshingly cool, although you won't have icicles on the end of your nose - and the heater works fabulously with the fan correctly hitting all 4 speeds.

OK, so the bad stuff:

Numero uno is the transmission. The shifter feels great but the synchros are fubared in 2nd. Upshifting, you can hit 2nd if you really have "the touch." Otherwise, it's gonna grind when you let out the clutch. Downshifting, it will give you one "clink" when you let the clutch out in 2nd. It's just as irritating as it sounds, especially given how well the tranny works otherwise. The car is perfectly drivable like this, but it needs a tranny to be perfect. To that end, whoever buys this car will find a nice 90K mile replacement tranny in it. It will be in the trunk, to be precise, and you can do with it what you will.

The car needs shocks something good, and rear shock mounts too. I could replace them before I sell, but honestly I'd just toss in something cheap to get it out the door, and you and the car both deserve better than that.

When they put the tires on, they balanced one poorly, so there's a little shimmy at high speed which needs to be remedied. Also, it could use rear wheel bearings, a brand new set of which could also wind up in the trunk if a deal is done.

I live all the way out in Lake Hughes, CA and work in Canoga Park in LA. I will work with whoever to show the car whenever, in the most convenient spot and time we can work out.

Given the mix of good and bad on this car, and that I picked it up for cheap and am not trying to make money on it, I figured on asking $1850. Or, even better, what I really want is a clean 4dr Eta 5-speed (see my Wanted thread elsewhere). Either of those would work for me. So, as the used car sleazebag salesmen say, let's step inside and work something out.

Last edited by Kristuphir; 12-17-2007, 10:23 AM. Reason: added photo of top
    Chris

The Hunt: Part IV is over.

sigpic

bump for a cleaannn vert

Comment

How much is a plane ticket to Cali?!!

That car is beautiful! Did I read that price correctly? $1850?

Comment

Unique color combo and a clean car! I hope someone on here gets it

Originally posted by vlad
        Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Originally posted by jamiholzbach View Post
          That car is beautiful! Did I read that price correctly? $1850?
          You did read the price correctly. :) It should make a good deal for someone.
          Chris

sigpic

Comment

Bump.

Euro bumpers and set of wheels and that car would be awesome.

Comment

Agreed. Ronals, I was thinking. It just makes more sense for me to put that effort into a car that makes more sense as a daily for me...
              Last edited by Kristuphir; 12-07-2007, 11:17 AM.
              Chris

sigpic

Comment

damnit why do all the good cars have to be so far away from me.

Comment

SHIT, 1850. Thats a steal...
                  Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Help a brother out, buy your detailing products here...

Comment

Originally posted by highrevvin View Post
                    damnit why do all the good cars have to be so far away from me.

I have no clue... so many e30 CA cars... what is it with you guys. AZ and CA... so many damn e30's. There are 4 clean e30s in CA for every beater found in Tx.

Its getting kind of discouraging to be honest =(

Comment

I'd love to get it for the interior alone. I want to find a local cabby that I can snag it's interior for my vert.
                      Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
                      EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
                      FullOpp Stickers for sale!
                      NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
                      Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
                      ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

just curious whats the build date on this car ??
                        :pimp:

Comment

Bump for a great guy and a nice car. Saw this car in person over the weekend and never even got a chance to drive it thanks to the local law enforcement. That's probably a good thing since had I driven it I'd have 5 now.

Chris, I referred someone from bf.c over here to check out your car. If you sell it to him I expect a kickback. :up:

Tim

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats
                          MTech2 wheel | Husco Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003
                          | Shadowline | Amber Fogs | Too much else to list

Comment

Originally posted by VacMan View Post
                            Bump for a great guy and a nice car. Saw this car in person over the weekend and never even got a chance to drive it thanks to the local law enforcement. That's probably a good thing since had I driven it I'd have 5 now.

Chris, I referred someone from bf.c over here to check out your car. If you sell it to him I expect a kickback. :up:

Tim
                            One "Get out of Jail Free" card will immediately hit your mailbox. Oh, excuse me, ANOTHER one. ;)

Thanks for the bump! You can still drive it....5 is a nice round number.
                            Chris

sigpic

Comment

Beautiful car...that's my favorite E30 color.

What shape is the top in? Got pictures?
                              Last edited by desertvert; 12-15-2007, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X