Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hella LED center brake light "model 38" - Group Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hella LED center brake light "model 38" - Group Buy?

This is the 'Hella model 38' CHMSL - Center High Mount Stop Light or 'Cyclops' center brake light. Upgrade for pre-86 cars without the factory 3rd brake. light. Anticipating a price of $99 plus shipping, which is about $20 less than the last time I bought them in the US. I will have to design a harness for the E30, will start on that now.

This is sold by (good guy) Daniel Stern, and I have them too. I will be ordering some soon. Lead time is 12 weeks. I am taking names for a group buy, so think about it. The lead time of three months is a bit long, but if you wait and I run out, six months is even longer.

Hella's 'legacy' part number is model 5238. They have 12 LED elements, each with it's own 'lens' - NICE AND BRIGHT. Inside, the panel holding the LEDs is adjustable up and down so you can AIM THE BEAM (hot spot) at the idiots behind you. Ideally it would search for their eyeballs, and aim itself accordingly, but for now, you aim it where most of the eyeballs will be for the best result.

They mount to the glass at top (best defense against trucks and SUVs) or bottom of the back window, and run off the brake light wire with NO WIRE CUTTING, no clam-shell guillotine wire-slicing taps, no damage to the conductor or insulation. I customize the wiring to be plug and play. I ran mine through an existing hole in the package shelf, or you can run it next to the wheelhouse alongside the wire harness. You can have the wiring totally hidden this way.

This model is versatile - every pre-1986 BMW can use one, even other cars pre-86 that didn't come with it. DOT required this on all cars from '86, trucks from '95. I had one on my 2002, and no more idiots in my trunk after that!

Upgrades to the stock tail lights will also help (hint, hint). I have ways to make a vast improvement in light output. Mo Brighta, Mo Betta.

Update--
    Hella is also making two related models of this light -- designed for back windows at flatter and more vertical angles. I can order either of these as well, if you want.

Here are the details for all the variations:

Model 5237, 'coupe' - glass 20-36 degrees (from horizontal)
    >Model 5238. 'sedan' - glass 37-56 degrees< best for the E30 and most BMWs
    Model 5239. 'wagon' - glass 57-80 degrees

All are 12V, 3W, with 2.5m (98 in.) of wire and all (I think) the same price.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mo Brighta; 04-30-2021, 02:57 PM.
    Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
    Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
    Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
    Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

This exact topic has been on my mind as of late. Having just acquired an early model w/o a third brake light, I feel this is must have in LA traffic. You have my attention.

How does said third brake light affix to the rear windshield?

Stock tail light upgrades involve LEDs replacements?

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospec View Post
      This exact topic has been on my mind as of late. Having just acquired an early model w/o a third brake light, I feel this is must have in LA traffic. You have my attention.
      Hopefully, with this you will get THEIR attention!
      How does said third brake light affix to the rear windshield?
      Comes with self-stick strips on three sides - top, left, right. Clean the glass well, peel and stick. 'VHB' is for Very High Bond. You'll want to get it straight the first time...

Stock tail light upgrades involve LED replacements?
      Working on this, as we speak. I am negotiation for a good price with the importer... so far they have offered 5% off retail; I'd like 40-50% off.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	P8131360.JPG
Views:	827
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	10015129
      Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.

Comment

Ohhh, I'll definitely take one. Please add me to the list. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Karleemo View Post
          You are welcome. Shoot me a pm with your address and contact info.

Originally posted by Eurospec
          ... I feel this is must have in LA traffic...
          And ... you'd be interested in the upgrade as well? This would make installation of the center brake a snap-- I would include a pair of pigtails (no charge) from the rear light to plug the center brake into with the upgrade. Triple the upgrade, triple the 'STARTLE REFLEX' in the brain stem of following traffic!

Comment

Originally posted by Mo Brighta View Post
            And ... you'd be interested in the upgrade as well? This would make installation of the center brake a snap-- I would include a pair of pigtails (no charge) from the rear light to plug the center brake into with the upgrade. Triple the upgrade, triple the 'STARTLE REFLEX' in the brain stem of following traffic!
            Yes, pls count me in for one unit with the upgrade. The plan is to affix to windshield at lowest point possible. Safe to say I would be able to pull that off and have it wedged against the rear shelf panel without it looking too of place?

Would the VHB tape have adherence issues on tint? And say there's no tint, would the tape interfere with the defrost grid, if in the event the light assembly was ever removed?

In post #3, can you tell us what's pictured below the light assembly? Some sort of vinyl it looks like?

Comment

OK, I have you down for one, and for an upgrade. Shoot me a PM, we can talk about upgrade options.

I think it can be installed unobtrusively, I did a 'temporary install' in another car (a Saturn) without looking out of place at all - the 'wedge' under it should be smaller than the light, and thus invisible from outside.

As far as adherence, I think tint would not be an issue at all. Heat traces for the defogger - maybe issues IF the VHB tape is used directly on the glass, but maybe not if the decal (see next paragraph) is what I suspect- a less aggressive adhesive that covers the foam tape and gives an invisible outward appearance... I never peeled the release tape off of either.

The U-shape seems to be a decal you would stick to the light, then peel and stick the decal to the window. The question is what does the other side look like. Not 100% sure, as I have never installed this on my cars, I have the original that came on my '86 535i, and for my 2002 I had a different external mount Hella light stuck on the trunk lid with 'Velcro' hook/loop tape. Crude but effective.

I will contact my suppliers and see if they have more knowledge on this. I am going to order extras, I want to have at least one or two on hand to play with and to get these questions answered! I might be able, in the meanwhile, to find a forum member who has this light and can help us all understand exactly what is what.

Comment

Originally posted by Karleemo View Post
                OK, you are on the list. Shoot me a message with your info... year, model, email, shipping address, like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospec View Post
                  Yes, pls count me in ...

Would the VHB tape have adherence issues on tint? And say there's no tint, would the tape interfere with the defrost grid, if in the event the light assembly was ever removed?

In post #3, can you tell us what's pictured below the light assembly? Some sort of vinyl it looks like?
                  UPDATE - I just heard from an installer, it is as I suspected.

Sticking to a defroster grid - this 'may' be a problem to remove, so I would suggest a creative installation.

Perhaps if you decide exactly where the light will go, and hold it against the glass,
                  then transfer the exact location of the heating traces onto the light,
                  then remove the light and transfer the marks onto the adhesive strips,
                  then use a marker on the adhesive part that would stick to the traces,
                  then DOUBLE CHECK your marks against the wire traces on the glass,
                  THEN and ONLY THEN cut and remove the adhesive parts where it would otherwise stick to the traces.
                  Leave the rest of the adhesive strips to hold it on the glass.

And yes, the grey channel thing is also peel and stick. I see evidence it goes on the light surround to provide a clean installation.

I assume the instructions that come with it do a better job ...

And I have attached pictures of a couple of 2002 installations with lights at top and bottom.

Attached Files

Comment

ORDERING THIS WEEK -

I am looking at over 30 of these lights, and orders have slowed so I will be placing the order this week.
                    So far two r3vlimited members. Anyone else, better get on board soon.

Andy

Comment

Nice one Andy. I have an early model needing a light but I found an e28 one and might wire that up. Any photos of how bright this one is?
                      318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                      '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Yes, I do have pictures of how bright it is. Off-axis it will be less bright, of course. That is why it's nice to have the option of aiming the 'beam' (hot spot) up or down. In the second picture, you can see the area covered by the hot spot, taken with the light from about 5 feet away from the wall. At greater distance, it covers quite an area. I don't have the exact angles or area, best guess is 12 inches tall, 16 inches wide. I WILL take exact measurements for future reference when the batch arrives.

Another option, same topic- I also do work on early tail lights to boost the output of brake and tail lights in the stock housing, I'm doing a full-bore-upgrade right now for another member, giving three high output tail lamps and two high output brake lamps each side. if you are interested, shoot me a pm and I'll explain that.

Hope these pictures help. Don't forget - I am ordering the lights Wednesday, sorry for the short fuse.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5238-biz-end.JPG Views:	0 Size:	64.3 KB ID:	10016464 Click image for larger version  Name:	5238-output-beam.JPG Views:	0 Size:	50.7 KB ID:	10016465

2 Photos

Comment

UPDATE _ UPDATE _ UPDATE

OK, this is getting better every day! I put this post up on several vintage BMW forums, and have gotten good response.
                          Two are going to members here, and the rest on other forums.

Predicted lead time (order to delivery) was 12 weeks, but I was contacted by Hella that there 'may' be a chance of shorter lead time.

Last minute guys - you have two days before the order deadline, this Friday. Get a pm to me or wait for my announcement that they have arrived, and we''ll see if there are any unclaimed extras. Pre-wired, ready to plug in and light up the night.

Same deal, same price: Send me your email, name, username. Your $60 deposit puts you on the order list, no deposit puts you on the wait list.
                          Deposits by PayPal to Mobrighta@comcast.net, with the same information in the notes.

FYI - I am also ordering two each of the other variants (#5237 for flatter, and #5239 for steeper back window angles) just in case...

Andy

Comment

UPDATE - ORDER PLACED

I am told to expect them here on or about August 5, 2021. Yeah, it's a while, Maybe they are making them as we sleep?
                            I guess they are being ROWED ACROSS THE OCEAN by some guy...maybe if we air-drop him some Espresso, he will get them here sooner?

Comment

double click error
                              Last edited by Mo Brighta; 06-05-2021, 12:29 PM. Reason: duplicate post, may be deleted

Comment

Working...
                              X