Cam Timing Blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Timing Blocks

I needed a set of the cam blocks for holding the cams still on an M50/52 style motor when you've got the timing chain off. I was just going to make a set for myself, then I thought I'd make a couple sets.

The blocks themselves are black anodized aluminum. The bridge is 1/4" stainless. All the hardware is stainless and metric. They turned out pretty good. I've got 4 left, and I'll take $75 for a set plus shipping.

If you're unhappy with them for some reason, you're welcome to return them and I'll pay shipping both ways. I'm in Oklahoma.

finished by jasapp12345, on Flickr
    Last edited by jasapp; 04-10-2012, 12:00 PM. Reason: mentioning which motor they're for

That does look very nice, but I'm not visualizing how these are used. Got a picture?
    S52-Powered 1987
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by curt hayes View Post
      that does look very nice, but i'm not visualizing how these are used. Got a picture?
      +1
      Originally posted by InuFaye
      silver is old man color car. you need dat BRO-SECA BLUE.
      Originally posted by blunttech
      so true.. never let them know where you live..I almost ended up in jail when I was raping young women on craigslist
      Originally posted by george graves
      An S5x is like the girl you want to marry - an m30 is the girl you don't bring home to mom.

Comment

They operate like wrenches, but they hold both cames together.

At least, thats the only way I see it usable
        1987 Delphin 325e Sedan - Natalie
        1990 325i 24v
        1997 Chevrolet K1500 Crew Cab 4x4 - The Centurion

Comment

Looks nice! Where'd you find the info on the clocking of the square part of the cam, for proper timing?
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Do these just work with M50's or could I just it on my M20 as well?

Comment

Originally posted by thatguyMatt View Post
              Do these just work with M50's or could I just it on my M20 as well?
              They're for the 24v motors. Won't work on M20's.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Hayes View Post
                That does look very nice, but I'm not visualizing how these are used. Got a picture?
                How these work is they sit on the end of the head, at the tail end of #6.

Have you seen a head with the valve cover off? Did you notice the square part on the back end of each cam?

The 2 little "wrenches" hold the square block on the back of the cam, so they are held perpendicular to the surface of the head. The cams have to be held rigid when you are putting the timing chain on.

BTW, OP, if I did not already have a set, those would be on their way to me.

They look great!

Luke

August R3VLimited Special: E3012 "V3" box: $225 shipped

Tutorials: Killer $500 Stereo | E30 Vert Dual 8'' Box Installation | E3010 Amp Rack Installation | Radio Wiring and Amp Bypass

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                  Looks nice! Where'd you find the info on the clocking of the square part of the cam, for proper timing?
                  All the other blocks I saw held the square part of the cam perpendicular to the surface of the head. That's also what the Haynes manual said to do, so that's what I did.

Originally posted by German Audio Specialties View Post
                  They look great!
                  Thanks. I think tools should be sexy, and all the ones I saw were not.

I've only got this one right now. In this picture they're missing the bridge and they haven't been anodized yet.

trial fit by jasapp12345, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by jasapp View Post
                    I've only got this one right now. In this picture they're missing the bridge and they haven't been anodized yet.
                    Right, that makes total sense. My engine only has one cam ( :( ) so I haven't seen the 24V setup before.
                    S52-Powered 1987
                    sigpic

Comment

Right, that makes total sense. My engine only has one cam ( :( ) so I haven't seen the 24V setup before.
                      Sorry, I totally forgot to mention they were for M50/52 style motors.

Comment

I started with this big hunk of aluminum.

setup by jasapp12345, on Flickr

Comment

Then I cut a slot down the center.

not enough clamps by jasapp12345, on Flickr

Comment

I like the title, you get a little chatter from that setup?
                            S52-Powered 1987
                            sigpic

Comment

this is such a good price; hopefully you'll have more when I need it
                              2008 335i - n54b30
                              1991 318i - m52b28
                              1994 fzj80 - LAND CRUSHER

Comment

Working...
                              X