• Show
Clear All

Money sent for a set of Pins.
    Thank you for this cool idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkerer007 View Post
      Money sent for a set of Pins.
      Thank you for this cool idea.
      Got your payment and will be shipping out later today! Thank you.

I'm glad I can help you save a set of tweeters :up:

Comment

Originally posted by arecks View Post
        Good work. The community needs more people like you!
        Thank you, I appreciate that!

I've got a couple more ideas I'm working on, stay tuned...

Comment

just paid for a set!

Comment

Originally posted by kid8 View Post
            just paid for a set!
            Got your payment, thank you! I have your set all ready to go.

Comment

As I posted on FB, unless these are printed with nylon at a huge temp, they will become limp little dicks in the heat of the sun. I assume it's ABS you printed with by the surface finish I see. So yea....

Call me an ass, but when I see a bad idea, I have to call it out. This is a bad idea. Interior car temps things need to withstand 240F - as most dash temps get that high. - and of course, 3d printed plastic that is ABS type will be gooey at that point.
              Originally posted by Matt-B
              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                As I posted on FB, unless these are printed with nylon at a huge temp, they will become limp little dicks in the heat of the sun. I assume it's ABS you printed with by the surface finish I see. So yea....

Call me an ass, but when I see a bad idea, I have to call it out. This is a bad idea. Interior car temps things need to withstand 240F - as most dash temps get that high. - and of course, 3d printed plastic that is ABS type will be gooey at that point.
                I agree material choice is important here.

240F is pushing it a bit, you'll need a 100F+ day to get near 200F on a dash. Considering these clips are on the backside of a tweeter cover, it will likely experience much less.

ABS is likely sufficient, although cutting it close at a 195f-210f glass transition temperature (mushy temp).

Polycarbonate would be the best filament to use, however its likely going to require a new hot-end for the OP.

Another option is to make an inverse mold and casting using a high temp resin mix.

Lets hope these aren't being made with PLA.
                Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post

Thanks for the constructive criticism graves, I'm already aware that temps are something to consider, and mentioned it in an earlier post in this thread, but I appreciate the analogy lol

Originally posted by noid View Post
                  I agree material choice is important here.

240F is pushing it a bit, you'll need a 100F+ day to get near 200F on a dash. Considering these clips are on the backside of a tweeter cover, it will likely experience much less.

ABS is likely sufficient, although cutting it close at a 195f-210f glass transition temperature (mushy temp).

Polycarbonate would be the best filament to use, however its likely going to require a new hot-end for the OP.

Another option is to make an inverse mold and casting using a high temp resin mix.

Lets hope these aren't being made with PLA.
                  I am printing with ECO-ABS, which I think will be more than sufficient. However I'll look into polycarbonate and see if my printer can handle it.

Interesting resin mold idea, I might try that!

You're absolutely right that a car is not going to get anywhere near 240F. And especially the area where the pins are, which is enclosed and shielded from the sun.

If anyone purchases a set and has any issues (aside from installing them incorrectly), I will be more than happy to completely refund you, or work with you to resolve them, if you prefer.
                  Last edited by Metallated; 03-10-2019, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Install tip: make sure all broken off bits are removed from the rubber pockets prior to inserting new pins.

Comment

Just finished shipping all the pins ordered over the weekend! Excited to start hearing about your results :up:

Comment

Nice back end support - cheers!
                        Originally posted by Matt-B
                        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I'd like a set of these, but I also need one of the spring clips. Happen to have one?

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                            I'd like a set of these, but I also need one of the spring clips. Happen to have one?
                            Thanks for the interest and yes I do have a metal spring clip!

I'm actually exploring some more robust materials, although we haven't had any issues yet, but I want to make them as strong as possible.

Can I get back to you in a week or 2 when I have this new material available?

Comment

Certainly, I'm not really in any rush, just wanting to get them installed and off the parts shelves.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                              https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Money Sent, Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X