Feeler: Z3 Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeler: Z3 Rack

So after hearing that the Z3 has less steering angle than a regular 3 series steering rack, I decided to go on the hunt for a '95 M3 rack instead. This is the Z3 rack with a 2.7 turn lock to lock ratio.... as opposed to the e30's 4.0 turn lock to lock.

I could toy around with the inner tie rods and see if the Z3 and e30 inners are interchangeable, but I rather not to.

This rack was removed from a Z3 with 66,xxx miles. All I have done is pop the original clamps on the rubber boots to check the condition of the tie rods inside. (So right now I have zip-ties holding the boot in place). Everything looks good and I got the rack with the inner and outer tie rods.

So yea... up for grabs. To follow rev's policy, I'll say 200 OR BEST OFFER. I have no idea what these go for so hey... make offers.

- Erick
    Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
    EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
    FullOpp Stickers for sale!
    NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
    Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
    ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

trade a maplight fur it..

Comment

Just a word of warning... unless you have a 95 m3 rack in your hand, and have verified it is a 95 m3 3.0 turn rack, you may not want to get rid of your nice low mileage rack.

I originally "bought" one 4 months ago, and after many wrong racks, parts-network-searching, refunding, etc... I finally got one a few weeks ago.
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

how much less angle does the Z3 rack have do you know?

Comment

Nope, no idea, but it made sense to me as roadsters in general usually dont carry that much steering angle.
          EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

Feedback Thread

Comment

I have a 95 M3 rack from my old 95 M3. It leaks from the passenger side boot, but works fine. I'd let it go pretty cheap.

JP
            sigpic
            DE's are a tease.
            Build a racecar.

Comment

ill buy it erik. 130 picked up.

Comment

I've been offered $200 shipped over PMs by 3 different people already. Shipping is $20 for most cases.... $180 and its yours.

BTW, this isnt dibs. Right now I'm not accepting payment for the fact that the rack is in storage.... if I was able to ship this today, I would have already sent paypal addresses to people.

Feedback Thread

Comment

my z3 rack had as much movement as my stock e30 rack. dont listen to the people that dont know what they are talking about

Comment

ight 180 u got pm.

Comment

I'll give you a bent bottlecap and a set of US grilles for it.
                      Current Cars
                      2014 M235i
                      2009 R56 Cooper S
                      1998 M3
                      1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrift View Post
                        So after hearing that the Z3 has less steering angle than a regular 3 series steering rack, I decided to go on the hunt for a '95 M3 rack instead. This is the Z3 rack with a 2.7 turn lock to lock ratio.... as opposed to the e30's 4.0 turn lock to lock.
                        Who verified that the Z3 rack has less angle?

How much angle a steering rack will give the wheels is determined by the distance it travels left/right. If you go to www.battleversion.com, it will tell you how tie rod spacers give the AE86 steering rack more length.

If the same tie rods can be used by E30's and E36's, I highly doubt there is any difference in the effective travel of Z3/M3/E36/E30 steering racks. In other words, you are getting the same angle regardless of which rack you choose.

An option is to look into tie-rod spacers custom made for your Z3 rack. This will give you more angle for sure, but I'm not sure if it will interfere with the wheel housing or suspension geometry. I've been thinking hard how to get more steering angle out of BMW's, maybe you can be the guinea pig since you actually drift.

-Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by BrandC View Post
                          I've been thinking hard how to get more steering angle out of BMW's, maybe you can be the guinea pig since you actually drift.
                          If you can provide the parts/spacers, I'll be the guinea pig.

Feedback Thread

Comment

so yes no erik on the pm?

Comment

I'm waiting on someone to confirm a trade for parts first.

Feedback Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X