No announcement yet.

Custom Gauges - Wideband, Boost/Vacuum, Volt, Narrowband

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

george does the narrow band also go between bar and dot modes like the wide band?

Comment

Yes. All 4 gauges can be run in bar or dot mode.
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

i was wondering ... could the narrow band be used to show if the car gets from open loop to closed loop (or vise versa .. which one comes first .. but u get waht i mean) .... ie. proper warming up of the car before going out on a drive

Comment

Just to be on the safe side on answering your question - I'm going to say no. Could you learn to read the narrow-band gauge? Maybe.

As as far a "proper warm up", I would think that is more of a function of water and oil temp than AF ratios.
          Last edited by george graves; 12-03-2008, 05:46 PM.

Comment

wow, george you are a genius.

do they come with any sort of install instructions? dumb question i know but if im reading voltage can i tap off of another wire? or should it be ran all the way direct to the battery?

the narrow band o2, you say needs to go to the o2 sensor. is that it? or does it need power and a ground AND tapped off that wire? if im thinking of running megasquirt or MaXX down the road should i look at the wideband instead?

Comment

I remember similar gauges for VW's several years ago.

Cool product !

Comment

Originally posted by smonkbmw View Post
                wow, george you are a genius.

do they come with any sort of install instructions? dumb question i know but if im reading voltage can i tap off of another wire? or should it be ran all the way direct to the battery?
                Install instructions? Well, it's two wire, power and ground. If you get stuck, of course I could help you find those wires. Do you know how to use a test light? Multimeter?

Originally posted by smonkbmw View Post
                the narrow band o2, you say needs to go to the o2 sensor. is that it? or does it need power and a ground AND tapped off that wire? if im thinking of running megasquirt or MaXX down the road should i look at the wideband instead?
                Yes - the narrow band is a three wire hook up. Power, ground and signal from the O2. If you plan on running wideband soon, then yes, totally forget about the narrowband and go with the wideband.

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                  Install instructions? Well, it's two wire, power and ground. If you get stuck, of course I could help you find those wires. Do you know how to use a test light? Multimeter?
                  oh yeah thats not a prob (did stereo install for 5+ years professionally). ive just never put a voltage gauge in believe it or not. i wasnt sure if tapping off the cigarette lighter wire is/was as accurate as running a light gauge wire to the fire wall power junction or even back to the battery. which ever works, i can find it, just wanted clarifacation which was more accurate i guess.

added: if i get the wide band now, can i just hook it up like the narrow band and get a reading just until i can secure a megasquirt or maxx unit?

Comment

No, sorry. The wide band and narrow band are different designs. The wideband is carefully calibrated and works with a different type of signal.

Comment

Pro! Awesome work as always George! I will be sending you a PM shortly with my order.

RIP

Comment

Amazing, very cool, when is the Alpina gauge coming?
                        sigpic
                        New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                        %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

I might be down for one of these in the future.

The Voltmeter would rock if it went from Yellow-Green-Red instead of one constant color.

A little volt icon would be cool as well.

Just some suggestions.
                          sigpic
                          1988 5 spd.Cabrio/Lachs Silber/Black Leather/123k/Dealer Serviced & Maintained by both PO's
                          Clarion DXZ785USB HU, BBS Wheels, Leather e-brake handle & e-brake boot, Mtech 1 Wheel, Maplight Mirror, Performance chip, Rear Headrests.
                          Previous E30: 1986 5 spd. 325es/Delphin Gray/Black Leather/191k

Comment

George -
                            I'd like to add my kudos. Outstanding idea and execution.

I share the sentiment that a 3-color voltmeter would be better. If you were to make a 3-color, I'd buy one.

EDIT -- thinking about it, with the monochromatic red instrumentation lighting, maybe a 3-color would look garish. I think the red (if it's very close to the BMW instrumentation red) would look good.

Sign me up for a red voltmeter.

Regards,

JP
                            Last edited by OverpaidSlacker; 12-04-2008, 10:06 AM.

Comment

It's ok. I get that question alot...One person assumed it was cause I was "lazy" - and that's ok too - LOL -maybe this will answer you questions.

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                              The reason the led's are all one color has to do with the button. The light that is normally behind it is a standard incandescent type bulb that puts out "white" light. The buttons are very deeply tinted to filter that "white" light into the color of the button. So, putting green leds behind a red filter gives you almost no light at all. So yea, the button acts as a filter, blocking light not on it's "wavelength".
                              The colors are exactly the same as your hazzard, and defrost.

I'm building these with your choice of dispaly and color - so I can't "Sign you up for one" if you know what I mean? They are built to order.

Thanks for the complement!
                              Last edited by george graves; 12-04-2008, 10:15 AM.

Comment

PM sent w/ email addy for paypal invoice -- red voltmeter, please.

JP

Comment

Working...
                                X