Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS: Metric Mechanic 11lb M20 FW + Complete Clutch Assy

ITEM IS SOLD

I am selling my M20 lightweight flywheel & complete clutch assembly. It all works perfectly, has effectively no wear on the disc or friction surfaces and has just under 40K miles on it. The reason for selling it is that I opted for an RHD 7.4lb flywheel and new clutch parts with it since it was all going onto a freshly rebuilt engine. This is a bolt-on for a LATE M20 engine (any of the 1988+ ones with the single-mass flywheel and 137 tooth starter ring).

The flywheel was lightened & dynamically balanced by Metric Mechanic. It ran nice and smooth on my M42 (which I swapped an M20 starter pinion gear into), so you could also run it on an M42 if you switch to an M20 starter or the M20 pinion gear which fits right in to the M42 starter.

There are NO fasteners included with this since those are technically supposed to be replaced. You need to provide your own (8) flywheel & (6) pressure plate bolts.

I am asking $400 OBO for the kit of parts SHIPPED within the continental US. Shipping to HI, AK or other countries will cost more.

Here are photos of the goods.

Last edited by bmwman91; 10-10-2020, 09:11 PM.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Any idea if this kit will bolt onto an m50+zf? I’m told the m20 flywheel and clutch is compatible but not sure about this setup... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As far as I know, this will bolt up just fine to the M42, M50, M52 and M54. However, the starter ring has the late M20 fine-pitch teeth (137) which will only work with the M20 starter (or pinion gear if you swap it into the starter body). Basically, the M42/50/52/54 all had the same starter ring tooth count (113), with the M20 being different. Which starter are you using? I am not sure if you can retrofit the M20 pinion gear into an M50 starter.

As long as the transmission you have is one of the standard ones that the M50 was configured with, this should work fine for you I think. I say this based on info on RHD engineering's site which shows M20 flywheels working on basically everything, with only the starter ring teeth differing between M20 and everything else.

Comment

Yeah the trans is a zf 320 from a 328i so standard ish for m50. I’m interested, just emailed MM to see what the differences are. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds good, they would know for sure I think.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
            Sounds good, they would know for sure I think.
            bmwman91, did you have any chatter with this set up at stop lights, or at any time? "Passion is timeless"
            '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
            '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Nope, zero chatter ever. It is a stock cast M20 FW and stock clutch, so it drives as nicely as one would expect. On the M42 / G240 transmission, it does allow for a bit more input shaft rattle versus the stock DMF, but it is less of an issue for straight 6 engines being that they are inherently balanced.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Interested but haven’t heard back from Mm on compatibility with m50 paired to a zf320. I’ll give em another shot Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Your best bet with MM is to call them. Email responses can be sort of slow.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                      Your best bet with MM is to call them. Email responses can be sort of slow.
                      Fair enough bud I’ll give them a holler and if they clear the setup I’ll take this off your hands ASAP. Shipping will be to 92627 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X