WTB: Rollbar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e30sd
    this is what i noticed when comparing my kirk and my neighbors old ap bar, both in the same car:

kirk was closer to the roof
    ap hugged the b-pillar closer
    ap mounts to the frame rail (requires re-routing of fuel lines)
    kirk mounts to the floorboard
    both come with shitty hardware (i recommend with minimum grade 8, i replaced everything with 10.5 and new nylocks.)
    both come unpainted (they come in a some crappy protectant paint for the metal, but i would definitely spray them before installation.)

pricewise, they are pretty similar. i jumped on a kirk cause it was local (bryson needed crack money). vsr is probably the sweetest one, but i've never actually seen on the west coast. when it comes down to it, all bolt in bars offer a compromise, if you want the best of everything, go with a custom bar. a local got a bar installed in his e36 at an offroad shop. they used above grade DOM, powdercoated it, and installed it for 500ish.
    I agree. But the AP bars DO come painted black, in a pretty decent finish. Other than that, my advice would be a custom bar or VSR.
    Saul
    01 330ci Daily Driver
    89 332is Auto-x Friend
    95 M3 *SOLD*
    87 325is *SOLD*

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL
      He asked, I supplied. Not just aimless company whoring. Big difference.
      I never supplied without someone asking. Never once.

My sig doesn't count. That was a joke.
      sigpic

Comment

I have a Kirk rollbar if you are interested, it fit nicely in the car. Let me know I'm in Mooresville NC

Comment

There are a few design flaws in the Kirk bars that I'm unfortunately all too familiar with.

1-they bolt into the floor boards, which I'm not all too crazy about
          2-the removable crossbrace fit very poorly in at least one case that I know of
          3-the rear legs attach to the inner wheel well but the plate on the leg is flat, and if you bolt them up very tight, it begins to deform the wheel well. This can be overcome by hammering the plate to conform to the contour of the well
          4-shipping from AL can be expensive and the paint will be scratched when it arrives (they are painted black)

For the price, they're decent bars. They fit nice and tight to the roof and the pillar until you're about half way down, it then slopes inward so it separates from the pillar as you get closer to the floor.

When I got mine, I called to question them on the rear leg mounts and they indicated they'd fix it but I'm not sure if they ever did. If I were to do it again (which I'll likely be doing soon), I'd go with the VSR.
          Driving is the only way to go faster....

Comment

Working...
          X