Early Model 318i Tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Model 318i Tach

Doing a m50 swap on my 325e and need an early (84-85) 318i tach. PM me if you gots one.
    Last edited by TroyArboc; 12-02-2014, 12:20 PM.

i don't think that's the tach you want.

I used my early 318i tach for my m30 swap and it read stupid.
    4cyl tach on 6cyl tach doesn't work right.

I have one for you to try if you really think that's what you need.
    sigpic

Comment

For early cars there is a code plug that inserts into the back for the engine. It is a long plastic prong. I have no experience with 24V swaps and the early clusters though.

Some 325e cars had the newer cluster with the code plug in front (starting in 1986).

Anyone else have any info?

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
        For early cars there is a code plug that inserts into the back for the engine. It is a long plastic prong. I have no experience with 24V swaps and the early clusters though.

Some 325e cars had the newer cluster with the code plug in front (starting in 1986).

Anyone else have any info?
        this is why I ended up with a later model cluster + 6 cyl coding plug. There is no 6 cyl coding plug that is the same as the early prong style.
        sigpic

Comment

I agree - good time to upgrade to the newer cluster.

The early 325e has a six cylinder prong coding plug (up to 1/86), but I have no idea if it would work with a 24V swap. Also, there were Euro sixes cars in 84/85

Comment

325e cluster redlines at 4500 and only goes up to 5000.
            It would work but would be funny because when you go past the 325e redline it's like going to "11"

I had my m10 318i cluster in after the m30 swap and the needle would go super far.

good point on the euro clusters
            sigpic

Comment

Hmmm. The car is an 1984 325e, so would a gauge from an early 325i work? I have read that I need to retain the coding plug as well.

Comment

you can use any 325i cluster along with the coding plug from the 325i.
                sigpic

Comment

You cant use a late tach in an early cluster.

Comment

Working...
                  X