Steering column and Ignition Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering column and Ignition Switch

So, my car was stolen a few months ago (it is a 89 325i Sedan that is prepped for Spec E30). Got it back, minus the trailer and everything valuable (helmets, seats, harnesses, suits, everything)

But, the car is back, and 90% back in shape. But I need one more thing.

I start the car now with 2 switches, a push button and a toggle. This is getting the car moving, but will not pass tech. Nice thing - the thieves did not cut the main harness, only the ignition harness and wrecked the ignition.

Net is, I need what is called the Steering Lock, the Lock with Cylinder, and the ring that hold it together. This is the same part on all E30s, except for air bag cars. I do not need the steering wheel, or the turn signal or wiper stalk. I do need the ignition wiring (plugs in about 6 inches from the key).
    Plus, I'd need the key. If you want it back, I can US Mail it back after I copy it (if your selling the door locks too).

I'd pay $100.00 plus shipping to 34683, plus the knowledge the parts will live out their life in a race car. :) I can pay pal immediately.

If you want to, gently pull the plugs to the turn signal, wiper and ignition, remove the steering wheel, and saber saw the steering column. Put the top part in a box with a key - I'll send you 100 bucks and shipping.

Comment

If I pulled this from my parts car, could I still steer it for the day I push it out of the garage to tow to the wrecker? If you could link to real oem and list what parts you need, I really can't visualize it

Comment

Let me save you the trouble.

STEERING LOCK 32-32-1-156-460
        IGNITION SWITCH 61-32-1-374-967
        LOCK CYLINDER WITH KEY 32-32-1-152-474
        RING 32-31-1-162-057

I'd also throw in 10 bucks for the hazzard warning relay that is attached to the turn signal wiring.

HAZARD WARNING RELAY 61-31-1-371-907

The above is all I need. I don't know what that leaves you with, as far as steering, but I think you could still throw the wheel on there (or at least weld a bar on to steer).

I need 1, 3, 4, and 6
        Last edited by jblack; 08-06-2007, 06:07 PM. Reason: update

Comment

OK dokey, I started tearing things apart for you, here are some pics. How do I get the stuff off the column without the sawzall.

It appears everything plugs into the big white plug.Click image for larger version

Name:	steering column 001 (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	7103315

Click image for larger version

Name:	steering column 002 (Small).jpg
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	7103316

Click image for larger version

Name:	steering column 003 (Small).jpg
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	7103317

Comment

do I drill out fracture bolt (#5) here? If I screw up the threads in that hole drilling it, does the piece become useless to you?
            Attached Files

Comment

going to try and put a slot in the head of the bolt with the dremel. maybe that'll do it and keep the threads nice. brb

Comment

That, sir, is exactly what I need. It even looks strange with the wiring attached (I have never seen it that way, sad....).

Big, white flat plug. Yes. That is correct. Separate the wiring there - I need everything towards the driver from there. No need for the turn signal or wiper stalk.

The rest is directly from Bentley:

Removal of the steering lock mechanism from the steering column is more involved. With the trim and steering column switches removed as described above, remove the collar, the snap ring, the washer, the spring, and the plastic sleeve, in that order, from the end of the steering column. Then, use 2 screwdrivers to pry up the steering column bearing. See Fig. 7-11, With the electrical harness connectors disconnected, chisel off the head of the shear bolt. Then remove the steering lock mechanism from the steering column.

So yes, looks like I need to source a new shear bolt. Do what the directions say any chisel the head off. Don't drill it out - yes, that is the key piece there.

Fig 7-11 I can take a picture of, if you need it.

Let me know if that helps.

John
                Last edited by jblack; 08-06-2007, 07:18 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

TA-DA! Actually rather painless. I'll pull the wiring harness and hazard relay tonight. I'll put em in the mail tomorrow. PM me your info and how you want it sent (priority mail?)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Beauty.

USPS Priority Mail.

I'll PM you the rest.

Comment

Just a question, you need this from an airbag car or non airbag? The one browntown is doing looks like from a non-airbag, but I could be wrong.
                      Keith

"Die feine Art, schnell zu sein."
                      "I don't have a gambling problem, my gambling pays for my e30 addiction."

Comment

Yeah the one I just mailed was from a NON airbag car. CRAP, did I read this wrong, did you need an airbag one? the part #'s you asked for were for a NON-airbag car so I figured that's what you wanted.

Comment

I was just asking, but I'm not sure if there's a difference. He said there was in his first post, that's the only reason I asked.
                          Keith

"Die feine Art, schnell zu sein."
                          "I don't have a gambling problem, my gambling pays for my e30 addiction."

Comment

hey, i am trying to remove the lock mechanism on my 89 325i cabrio because it locked, and i was told something about sticking a paper clip in it and twisting it backward to remove it, but i am not getting anywhere? is that the proper way of doing it?
                            sigpic
                            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Yes. But you need to stick the paper clip in the hole you can see a few pictures up from this. that will allow you to remove the ignition.

Comment

Working...
                              X