FS: Ronal ACT Mesh 16x7.5" Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Julien View Post
    That's a different statement than saying these wheels are "lug-centric." The idea behind hub-centricity, as I'm sure you know, is for the Hub to be an integral part of transferring the forces exerted on the wheels to the car. Once you remove that from the equation you are left with all the load being only transferred to the lugs themselves. Anyways, as long as the existing larger bore is machined and not damaged, the new owner could potentially pick up a hub centric ring online so that wheel matches the rest. If, however that bore is damaged or has been tampered with you are easily looking at $75 to clean it up + the cost of making a custom ring.
    The wheels *are* lug centric. They are a tapered seat, so center on the lug as it is tightened down. Being aftermarket wheels (even though an OEM supplier), these may not even be hub-centric as they are now. I haven't mounted them so can't say if they seat tight on the hub or not, without rings.

I've run many, many wheels, as I'm sure you have, and how many of them use plastic centering rings? So by your argument, you are saying that the plastic rings are taking or even sharing the load with the lugs? I can't count how many race cars I have worked on and with that used non-hub centric wheels. Is it best? Absolutely not. Is it fine for likely 99% of normal and high performance applications.

Comment

Originally posted by greggearhead View Post
      The wheels *are* lug centric. They are a tapered seat, so center on the lug as it is tightened down. Being aftermarket wheels (even though an OEM supplier), these may not even be hub-centric as they are now. I haven't mounted them so can't say if they seat tight on the hub or not, without rings.

I've run many, many wheels, as I'm sure you have, and how many of them use plastic centering rings? So by your argument, you are saying that the plastic rings are taking or even sharing the load with the lugs? I can't count how many race cars I have worked on and with that used non-hub centric wheels. Is it best? Absolutely not. Is it fine for likely 99% of normal and high performance applications.
      That's just cone vs ball seat lug bolts. This article might clear things up for you. You keep mentioning you've worked on race cars. Cool, me too.
      Build Threads:
      Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Julien, I'm not sure what crawled up your but to make a stink, but knock it off.

Your article from an expert, says that hubcentric rings made of plastic will prevent the shear forces from bending steel lug bolts. Really? Really?? And contrary to your comment, it does not mention cone seats vs. tapered seats. At all.

Yep. Race cars. One of the CSL's I worked on. Drove. Did track time on.

Another one I drove and worked on... 1800TiSa

Another one - both drove and worked on... RHD BTCC E12

Another one - early E21 brought over and raced in IMSA before GT3. Both worked on and drove.

Another - this one more significant than some 2002's, but one of several I had seat time and wrench time with.

And I consider myself more a VW & Porsche guy than a BMW guy, really. What does this mean? Nothing - I bet you've worked on more and more significant race cars than me. I bet you know more about wheels and lug nuts than me. But really - can you stop pissing on my for sale post for some $400 Ronal wheels that I am being as honest and forthcoming about as possible?

Comment

Originally posted by greggearhead View Post
          can you stop pissing on my for sale post for some $400 Ronal wheels that I am being as honest and forthcoming about as possible?
          I would, but you keep taking the bait :grin: anways, :coolphoto: and glws.
          Build Threads:
          Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Working...
          X