Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by twism View Post
    bimma360, page einstein again :D
    Just PM'd him on here and on e30tech. If he hasn't disabled it, on e30tech you get emailed when you get a PM.
    E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

We'll need to get a 100% consensus from everyone that they are ok with a cut to lenght design (approximately 5" longer then stock). Once we are all in agreement i would like a $20 deposit that will be non refundable if the buyer backs out. I will also need a local to test the prototype unit (will also be the first unit sold) and the remaining funds will be required once the design is approved by all members and the final order is placed. Total time will be 8-12 weeks.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
      My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Holy 12 weeks, that 3 months. I'm still in tho. Maybe you should explain a little bit more what you mean about the longer lenght design and what will have to be cut, just in case someone missed that! I'm ok with cutting it!

Comment

Basically it will be similar to my old m30 setup but made as a singe piece. For those not running a maf or m30 afm you would just cut of the flared portion. It you guys don't like the design then i would have to make a slow transition elbow which would be made after the style 5 boot. For those of you wondering the bracket is of my own design as well.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

12 weeks seems like a really long time..
            I'm sure more people will be interested in this as time goes on.

That's what's been happening.. There were a few in the beginning and more and more of us become interested but I think it's discouraging when we find out they aren't available.
            You can't just make a batch of 15-20 and sell 'em to whoever wants them?
            You know you'll sell them all in 3 weeks or less.

Originally posted by Janderson
            you can have the keys to my hunk of 20+ year old West German steel when you pry them from my cold dead fingers.

Comment

The minimum order is 25 units. After prototype and mold making fees, shipping, etc... i only make about $10 a boot on the first run. But thats the cost of getting them made in the USA. I'd rather make peanuts then help our economy go further in to the toilet. I have been hording my last 5 boots that i was going to use for my first 5 kits. If anyone needs a boot now i'll sell you a style 2 and just bug the hell out of the manufacturer to hurry with the new boots.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Not to start anything political, but sending work overseas has positive aspects to it. As long as the engineering and manufacturing is done well, there should be no worries about quality no matter where it is made, and as long as the labor does not involve inhumanity/child labor then I am all about being able to get things quickly, efficiently, and at low cost. The plastics industry in the US simply cannot (currently) keep up with the plastics industries in other countries and that means that the US economy needs to straighten itself out while industrialists, businessmen, and engineers need to become more innovative. The push will advance things nicely, kinda like the space race.

I say if you can charge $20 less for the intake boots while being able to double your profit then I would do it. That's just me though.

Comment

Its not about a quality control thing. Hell almost every high end electronic like apple, hp, etc comes from china. Its has to do with more money leaving the U.S. then coming in. If the trade in the U.S. were not so imbalanced then it would not matter. Just look at everything you own. I'd say 1% of what I own was made here and I'm a big consumer. The more we buy here the cheaper things will become.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                    If anyone needs a boot now i'll sell you a style 2
                    What's the difference, I can't really see it? Is it in the diameter or something else?

Comment

To be honest, I´d prefer to see a "real" style 6, that flares out to 3" from start on.
                      With this Style 5/6 combi, i am a little afraid, that the whole thing gets too long.
                      I use a 3" MAF and a BMC carbon air box, which is very long. So if I use this long boot, i am not sure if I still can fit it into my engine room...

But anyhow, if you produce one, i will oder one. No problem. But as already mentioned, i would prefer a "real" style 6 boot.

Comment

What's the word?

Comment

Im in for more like $60

Comment

I could get them made anywhere but the USA for cheaper but i believe in supporting local business'. I've been bogged down with school, 2 car accidents (non my fault), and finalizing my turbo kit design (going with revshift manifold adapters) and coilover kits. Should be a busy summer. I'm going to go with the style 5 design. Based on the sales of what seems to be the design most needed, i will decide on how to progress with future designs.

Like i said before i'm not to big on china kicking our assess but i'm a realist. If you guys want i'll organize a 1 time only limited run of the style 6 boot made in china for $60. The quality will be very high and the fit will be equal to the current product but for around $60 shipped with clamps. But since i don't planning on carrying, marketing, or branding these as my product, you guys need you work amongst your selves and finalize the dimensions and materials. For example 3 or 4 layer design. T or J shaped ICV. Taper of the flare for the 3" inlet and total length. Once you guys cross your T's and dot your eyes i'll make a 3D rendering as well as a prototype made of aluminum or fiberglass to confirm clearance by a local who is part of the organisation committee. Once you have all agreed upon a design, $300 will need to be raised for the 1st silicone prototype which will then be re-test fitted on the same vehicle as before to make sure it is within the design specs. Then once the OK is given by you guys the fees for the final order will be placed (20-25 piece minimum order at $40 a pop shipped with custom fees). This will be a purely democratic part made in a communist country. lol. All i want out of the deal for making a prototype and organizing the logistic is to be reimbursed for actual expenses (aluminum tubbing and welding rods, or fiberglass matting, resin, clay etc) and two boots to keep for myself as payment for my labor and shipping them out to you guys. Sound like a deal you guys? Copies of the original invoices will be forwarded to the people who organize this so they can agree what the official retail price will be etc.
                            Last edited by einstein57; 05-14-2011, 06:18 PM.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

keep this updated please, your turbo thread is a very good read btw
                              318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                              '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Im in

Comment

Working...
                                X