No announcement yet.

German Engineering Suspension GB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey nigel, i just swapped the washers out so now i have one on top two on the bottom and the poping sounds got worse.
    What gives?
    Fyi i have brand new tie rods and control arms so its not something else.

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

Perhaps perhaps another member or skifree can chime in. I've never actually installed the IE camber plates.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
      My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

The IE instructions state that we should have one on top and one on the bottom, but that still caused the noise. Also with only two spacers installed, if you tighten the top nut fully then that causes the spring hat to bind up and not allow it to rotate.

Flickr

Comment

It seems like it would be a good idea to grease the mating surface between the top hat and the strut. I think its supposed to be able to have a couple degrees of freedom. I could be wrong.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Originally posted by noE30 View Post
            The IE instructions state that we should have one on top and one on the bottom, but that still caused the noise. Also with only two spacers installed, if you tighten the top nut fully then that causes the spring hat to bind up and not allow it to rotate.
            We discussed this earlier. It does eventually bind if put together like they say to. I think its due to the axis of the strut not being perpendicular to the camber plate. They aren't 90° from each other. They vary based on how you set your camber. I eventually installed two spacers under and one over. Not ideal because when you unload the suspension it creates a gap bigger than the washers on the thrust bearing and allows them to pop out. It also causes the load from the strut to be placed solely on the spherical bearing. This in turn causes the bearing to move up and down in the plate with bumps approx .010" . Doesn't sound like much but it makes a good clunk when coupled to the unibody. I eventually punched out .008" shims to put in on top of the spherical bearing to stop the end play. Again not ideal but its quiet now.

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Like the PNW E30 Local Crew Facebook page

Comment

I had to go with 3 washers under the spherical bearing to getting the popping to stop. I don't get any clunking but, my plates came with a shim between the spherical bearing and snap ring.

Comment

Hmm i see. I switched back to one on top and one on bottom, the only noise is a clunking when i hit random bumps. I thought it could possibly just be the springs bouncing up when the suspension un weights itself and then coming back onto the spring hats.

Flickr

Comment

Sold Out!!!

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Damn, I was just about to place an order with you on Thursday. FML.

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                      Sold Out!!!
                      Will there be more made?

Comment

Yes. The black line should be available by july-august and the original setup up but with 5" front springs will be available the end of the year.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Cool, sign me up for the next batch!

Comment

Yes. The black line should be available by july-august and the original setup up but with 5" front springs will be available the end of the year.
                            What's the black line about? (seems like whenever something is "cooler" it's called "black") lol

Comment

I'm probably going to release a race friendly version that will be known as the "Black Line". The sleeves will be black and the adjusters will be a satin finish silver. It will use 2.25 rear springs and 60mm front springs to allow you to have access to a large selection of spring rates. I'll even do special pricing for people who want to order multiple springs for their track car. It will be a limited run of 32 sets.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Very cool. Another great product soon to come

Comment

Working...
                                X