R&M Racing M20 Adjustable Camshaft Gear V.3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R&M Racing M20 Adjustable Camshaft Gear V.3.0

At R-M Racing this product has evolved over our companies lifetime. We are now on Version 3. This Version is the BEST cam gear we have had to offer yet.

This version features:
    -Lighterweight then our past gear versions (weighing just 13.4 ounces as opposed to 14.3 in the old gears)
    -Zinc Alloy Forged Bolts Available for no extra charge
    -Stainless Bolts Available for extra Fee
    -12 Month Limited Warranty

$89.95

And on to the pictures:

R&M Racing BMW E30 M20 Adjustable Camshaft Gear
    R-MRacing.com Quality Products at great prices!

E30 M20 Adjustable Cam Gear

So wait, my BMW (1987 325IS) will most likely need a cam spacer?
    Yours truly,
    Rich
    sigpic
    Originally posted by Rigmaster
    you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by delatlanta1281 View Post
      So wait, my BMW (1987 325IS) will most likely need a cam spacer?
      It will most likely NOT need the rotor adapter. The adapter is only needed for 1/1/87 Build date and older. If yours was an early model 87 then its possible. You would need to check the build date of your car to be sure though.

Comment

sexy...

Comment

Originally posted by mcr_driver View Post
          sexy...
          Thanks. We believe that while function is indeed more important then appearance, we strive to make our products fulfill both characteristics.

Cause nobody wants to put something on there car if it looks bad, even if it does offer performance advantages.

Thanks for your interest.

Comment

Just a little update. We have changed the bolts options. We now offer your choice of Black Forged Steel OR Stainless Bolts at NO ADDITIONAL COST. And for 5 dollars additional you can get both sets of bolts so that you can change the color of the bolts or change to stainless if you need a non-magnetic bolt for a cam sensor setup.

Our Shipping options have also changed. We now only ship with UPS due to the less then acceptable tracking services that USPS offers.

We hope you enjoy our products! If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask, we will be sure to get back to you asap.

Comment

Just bought one.
              Yours truly,
              Rich
              sigpic
              Originally posted by Rigmaster
              you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by delatlanta1281 View Post
                Just bought one.
                Thanks for your order! It has already shipped out! Let us know if there is anything else we can do for you or if you have any questions or concerns!

Comment

A few questions if you don't mind:
                  1.) What material is the pin made out of (highest stress point)
                  2.) Is the outside of the gear (teeth most importantly) an OEM part?
                  3.) Have there been any issues with these slipping (timing coming out of adjustment)?

Thanks!
                  '89 BMW 325is Zinnoberrot / '88 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW GTI 16v Bright Blue Metallic / '91 BMW 325i Black / '91 BMW 325i Sport Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Montana Green / '01 Audi A4 Avant TQM Silver Metallic / '01 VW Jetta GLX VR6 Black

Comment

Originally posted by Cinnabar325is View Post
                    A few questions if you don't mind:
                    1.) What material is the pin made out of (highest stress point)
                    2.) Is the outside of the gear (teeth most importantly) an OEM part?
                    3.) Have there been any issues with these slipping (timing coming out of adjustment)?

Thanks!
                    Thank you for your questions, I would be happy to answer them for you and anybody else who is interested.

1. The pin is made out of a steel alloy and pressed into the steel alloy center piece of the gear. The pin is cut out of round rod stock. It is able to withstand the stresses that it has on it plus more. Also, one thing to keep in mind, the bolt that attaches the gear to the cam (that goes through the rotor adapter) gets torqued to factory specs and takes MOST of that stress out of the equation. The pin is still definitely an important strength point, but if the bolt is torqued to spec there is nothing to worry about (like I will always say INSTALLATION PRACTICES!)
                    2. The outside of the gear is not an OEM part. It is a part that we have machined specifically for our gear.
                    3. There have been NO known issues PERIOD in terms of functionality. As far as slipping goes, it is the installers responsibility to ensure that the bolts are tightened and a thread locker is used accordingly. If they are tightened, they will stay together, but we can't be held responsible for bad installation practices. But like I said, NOBODY has EVER contacted us with a complaint that their timing slipped.

To further expand, we have been selling these gears since June of 2009. We have only had ONE return due to fitment issues and that was on the 2nd gear we ever sold (there was a problem that we overlooked but corrected back in 2009). We have only ever had 2 returns in all that time overall. The other was due to a damaged gear due to it being hit and chipped (possibly from shipping or that we overlooked it upon shipping it out).

We always strive to offer the best possible part for your vehicle and we believe that we are achieving our goal of this. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. :)

Comment

Thanks for the helpful reply. I fully understand that like many other things, improper installation can make even a good part be troublesome.

Are the teeth exact copies of the OEM part? I ask because I know of another manufacturer that promotes the fact that they use OEM teeth because it eliminates any possibility of the belt jumping.

Finally, do you make these in the USA or are they outsourced?
                      '89 BMW 325is Zinnoberrot / '88 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW GTI 16v Bright Blue Metallic / '91 BMW 325i Black / '91 BMW 325i Sport Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Montana Green / '01 Audi A4 Avant TQM Silver Metallic / '01 VW Jetta GLX VR6 Black

Comment

Originally posted by Cinnabar325is View Post
                        Thanks for the helpful reply. I fully understand that like many other things, improper installation can make even a good part be troublesome.

Are the teeth exact copies of the OEM part? I ask because I know of another manufacturer that promotes the fact that they use OEM teeth because it eliminates any possibility of the belt jumping.

Finally, do you make these in the USA or are they outsourced?
                        The teeth are EXACT copies. You can set the two gears (OEM stock) and ours on top of each other and they look immaculate. I will try and get a picture showing this within the next week when I meet up with our photographer.

But they are exact copies. We have not changed anything on them. Using the OEM teeth would require purchasing and WASTING a stock cam gear for EVERY SINGLE cam gear that we produce. Though some of our competition may do this, it is completely wasteful and IMHO not worth the extra cost and time involved in cutting out the outer ring if an exact copy can be reproduced like we have done.

As far as "eliminates teeth jumping". I just want to clarify that statement. Nobody can say something eliminates teeth jumping. Teeth jumping can happen on bone stock motors of all makes and models. Though it is NOT a common occurrence, it is possible. So for a company to say it eliminates the possibility is incorrect. It may eliminate the cam gear teeth from CONTRIBUTING to a tooth jump situation, but they can happen. It is usually due to a stretched belt under extreme engine loads OR a failed tensioner.

Here is a picture of our gear with a belt held up tight on it so you can see that it is a TIGHT FIT, no gaps, spaces, etc...

As far as where these gears are produced, here is a complicated answer, but it will answer your questions. These gears are designed in Los Angeles, CA and prototypes are made at our shop facility. We then have the 3 main pieces machined and Anodized gold in China. The pieces are all then shipped to us where we Inspect Each piece and assemble them with High Quality Hardware that we source from McMaster-Carr which is a MAJOR Fastener Supply company. Depending on the bolts (Black Steel, Stainless, Cap Screws or Flush countersunk bolts), some are forged in USA, Some are forged in indonesia and the Stainless is made in Taiwan as far as I know (I am just telling you what McMaster-Carr has supplied us with)

Regardless of where an item is produced it is ultimately the quality control that defines how well an item will stand the test of time. Like we have said in the past, this company is TWO guys which are myself and a childhood friend of mine. We have backgrounds in Modifying cars, parts fabrication, welding, and have Our own lathe and access to a CNC mill for prototyping. I am a trained AutoCAD designer as well.

We are not the run of the mill "ebay" seller trying to make a buck or two. We are trying to build our reputation of HIGH quality parts at low prices and for us this is the way that we produce our parts in order to make them available to you the consumer at the BEST possible price while still keeping up with the highest quality we can offer.

Again, I hope that answers your questions.

-Riley Alexander

Comment

Sounds very sensible and logical to me. I really appreciate the detailed reply and I certainly wasn't trying to accuse you of anything, it's just nice to know a background on the parts I buy. Also familiar with McMaster, I buy stuff from them all the time.

Looks like I'll be buying one of these in the near future! Thanks!

Comment

Went to buy one last night and your website is down! And still is this morning.

Comment

Its fixed

Comment

Working...
                              X