Chromoly U Joint Steering Shaft!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TinyT View Post
    Iv been trying to figure this out, sorry you feel I was ignoring it. I work 60 hours a week and do this stuff extra, I'll do better at keeping up on everyone's questions :)
    PM incoming
    The Definitive 1991 M-Technic Thread - a work in progress

Comment

price out of range for me
      but

i would spend my rent monies on a way to have TILT steering.
      3 pedal club
      200,k+ club
      cabrio club
      port-matched- polished- purring www.BMWpark.org

</div>

linux since 1999

Comment

Not only is the length completely different on an airbag car, but the splines where the column attaches to the upper (column to linkage) u-joint are completely different. One is fine spline and the other coarse (I don't remember which, it's been a while). Search up my threads you'll find it.

I was trying to do a similar mod when installing my e36 rack and purchased a danthe steering shaft (e30zone.co.uk) and I could not get it to fit with my airbag column due to the splines on the airbag column (I don't think euro cars got airbags, hence it was not an issue for them??). I tried sourcing a US non-airbag u-joint but they mount completely different to an airbag u-joint.

Long story short, I'm not trying to derail this thread, but please everyone; do your homework. Flaming River sucks as a company (they copy everything from ididit and Borgeson) and Borgeson probably already produces these splined adapters as they have been in business since the early teens. I was going to contact them to come up with my own solution just before Vorschlag offered a similar version of this linkage for sale, but as they say, you snooze you lose.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
        '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
        '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
        '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Is the difference between the E30 and E36 rack pieces just the length of the center piece? Can you price an E30 and E36 rack option for indecisive people?
          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but just FYI the lower joint (#2 in the drawing above) on an airbag car is 5 3/4 inches long overall, and in an airbag car works with both the E30 and E36 rack because the lower steering shaft can be telescoped in and out. Hope that helps.
            1973 Bavaria

Comment

If the shaft part under the boot is adjustable then why does this need to be made differently for an e36 steering rack as opposed to an e30 steering rack?
              Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
                If the shaft part under the boot is adjustable then why does this need to be made differently for an e36 steering rack as opposed to an e30 steering rack?

Long story short, it doesnt matter. :) I anticipated something that is not a factor. So no one needs to specify e36 or e30

Nick- the price is the same.

Guys with air bag problems- sorry but I dont have any answers yet.

Gooch- Cool story man

Everyone else- Im pretty sure you know what you are purchasing now, if you want it, lemme know, if not please just move on.

Comment

Come on we only need 2 more!
                  Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

so, since adjustable lengths = this Shaft is suitable in E30's with E36-swapped racks?

Are you able to ship these internationally?

Comment

Originally posted by NufnSus View Post
                      so, since adjustable lengths = this Shaft is suitable in E30's with E36-swapped racks?

Are you able to ship these internationally?

Correct. And yes I will ship, but im going to charge for the extra shipping.

Comment

nice looking product here ..

Comment

Joints are coming in and steering shafts are going out! Lets get some more people and ill keep this price going.

Comment

Steering shafts have shipped for anyone that bought one!

Comment

Bump, lets sell some more!

Comment

Originally posted by P.Kelly View Post
                                Does this fit an airbag car?
                                FYI for the E30 world -

I can't comment on this guy's product, but I know that the Vorshlag unit made for E36/E30 racks will not work with an airbag E30 that uses a Z3 2.7 turn rack. don't ask me how I know :(
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X