Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robgoesvroom View Post
    FYI for the E30 world -

I can't comment on this guy's product, but I know that the Vorshlag unit made for E36/E30 racks will not work with an airbag E30 that uses a Z3 2.7 turn rack. don't ask me how I know :(
    What was the issue with fitment? Could it be modified?
    The Definitive 1991 M-Technic Thread - a work in progress

Comment

Originally posted by P.Kelly View Post
      What was the issue with fitment? Could it be modified?
      The airbag steering column lower splines are different.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
      '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
      '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
      '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by TinyT View Post
        Long story short, it doesnt matter. :) I anticipated something that is not a factor. So no one needs to specify e36 or e30

Nick- the price is the same.

Guys with air bag problems- sorry but I dont have any answers yet.

Gooch- Cool story man

Everyone else- Im pretty sure you know what you are purchasing now, if you want it, lemme know, if not please just move on.
        Hi,

are there any plans on making a version for airbag equipped E30s?

Does the spline count for E36 on the steering column end match an E30 with an airbag? (assuming most E36 and newer BMWs had airbags standard)

If so, can the U joints be interchanged either by you or purchased to make the change myself?

Thanks,
        Bryon
        Wheelwell

Shadowline Motorsport: LED & 3D Printed Accessories - 10% off for new customers!
        LED Bulb Thread
        R6 LED Review

Comment

Sorry for not noticing your post!

I dont have access to an e30 air bag car right now to measure it and count the splines.

Someone just needs to measure the od of the shaft and count the splines and we can go from there.

I will try to find a car around here to get the dimensions from.

Comment

Found an airbag e30! I will be able to measure and count the splines on Thursday

Comment

Cool...think I found my Christmas present to myself.

Does this add any noticeable noise or vibration? I like stout parts, but if this is something "because race car" I don't want to detract from my daily driver feel...especially when I can just replace the rubber guibo on my stock shaft.
              1997 Artic Silver M3
              CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

I'm interested in hearing some feedback on those who have bought this...what do you all think?

Comment

Originally posted by gkurey View Post
                  I'm interested in hearing some feedback on those who have bought this...what do you all think?
                  It seemed like a quality piece to me. Though i did not install it myself, the guy that did it for me had no complaints. It seems like a much better solution to installing an e36 rack than cutting apart and putting spacers in a stock shaft.

Comment

The airbag E30's are weird! I didnt even dig around with sizes after I saw the splines didnt even come into the engine bay.

Sorry, Im just doing these for standard non airbag cars.

Comment

Originally posted by TinyT View Post
                      The airbag E30's are weird! I didnt even dig around with sizes after I saw the splines didnt even come into the engine bay.

Sorry, Im just doing these for standard non airbag cars.
                      Huh?

Please make these for an airbag car! I'm ready to buy.

Comment

The steering column does not come into the engine bay on air bag cars. The top u joint bolts to the steering column spline under the dash, unlike non air bag cars. I'd have to look at it closer to figure out a way to make it work. I pick up an air bag vert tomorrow, ill look at it closer.

Comment

Comment

Anyone experienced slop i the slip shaft?

I have this on my car and there is about 5mm side to side play at the steering wheel which seems to come from slop in the slip shaft.

Is it possible to tighten this up to remove the slop?

Comment

For my airbag cabrio I just used two e46 shafts got them for a total of $40 shipped on ebay, cut and modified. On the air bag cars the splines on the steering shaft are more coarse than the non air bag cars. I simply lightly tapped the u joint on (crossthreading the splines). The e46 ujoint splines are the same as on the steering rack so that side easily slides on and off. Because the the steering shafts are designed to telescope in the event of an accident you can easily pull the entire shaft out through the hole in the firewall if you needed to remove it for any reason.
                              Worlds 1st LS powered e30 cabby.
                              Cab
                              billac: 92 Lagunengrün cabriolet + cadillac LQ9 + Nitrous + rotiform SJC

Raphael: 88 Lagunengrün IX + Hella 500's + Red ACS type 1's

Shaggin Wagon
                              : 01 325xiT 5 speed

91 MR2 GT3076TS + E85 = 505whp + antilag = wheelies
                              88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

shaft made from two e46 halves. As you can see its fully telescoping. I wanna say the total length of mine once i cut it was around 6''

picture of the air bag steering shaft. You have to cut the end of that guy so just the splines are left.

Agian this is just an option for those of you with air bag cars.
                                Worlds 1st LS powered e30 cabby.
                                Cab
                                billac: 92 Lagunengrün cabriolet + cadillac LQ9 + Nitrous + rotiform SJC

Raphael: 88 Lagunengrün IX + Hella 500's + Red ACS type 1's

Shaggin Wagon
                                : 01 325xiT 5 speed

91 MR2 GT3076TS + E85 = 505whp + antilag = wheelies
                                88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

Working...
                                X