Panzer Performance Digitized Air Flow Meter for M20B25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzer Performance Digitized Air Flow Meter for M20B25

Recently I needed to replace the airflow meter in my m20 powered e30 and began looking for options. With the cars well over 30 years old in most cases, finding a good used replacement AFM isn’t as easy nowadays, and the cost of nice refurbished units have become quite expensive (plus long lead times). Not wanting to reinstall something that was bound to run into the same issues down the line, I began investigating how Spec E30 deals with aging AFMs these days when I came across Panzer Performance and their “digitized” m20b25 air flow meters.

What makes the Panzer Performance modified AFM an interesting alternative is that it uses a contactless magnet setup instead of the stock style wiper arm that is prone to wearing out with age and mileage. Curious to try something newly developed for the e30, I sent in my AFM to be converted. While I understand there are ways to convert an m20 to use a MAF like an e36, California is a stickler when it comes to the visual component of a smog check, so the airflow meter had to stay in my particular case.

EDIT: Car passed smog test with new AFM

Total turnaround time was 2 weeks from shipping out the core AFM to it being delivered back to my door. Quite reasonable considering I sent it to Florida from California. Upon installing the newly digitized AFM into my car, I noticed the car idled better and throttle response much more consistent. The car pulls strong again throughout the RPM range, making power delivery consistent without any hiccups. It’s still a barn door AFM at the end of the day, so don’t expect your 325i to magically gain extra power or have instant throttle response like a set of ITBs, but the new AFM certainly helps the old m20 wake up and perform as it should. Perhaps due to the condition of my original AFM, I have also noticed a slight increase in MPG as well.

At time of writing, I’ve logged around 1,000 miles on the Panzer Performance AFM. This includes daily driving and a track day at Sonoma Raceway. At around $400, I felt it was worth the money, as it keeps the m20 going so I don’t have to swap a 24v engine into the car (been there done that!). The cost of the Panzer Performance AFM also seems to split the difference between a questionable condition eBay AFM and a fancy refurbished stock AFM (and a lot less downtime!).

If your goal is to have the shiny engine bay for cars & coffee, then this might not be the answer as it will look virtually the same. However, if you want to replace a tired or failing AFM with something that works in your M20B25 e30 and make a bit of an update in the process, then check out the Panzer Performance AFM.
    Last edited by mtech325; 05-02-2023, 08:52 AM.

Are you going to open the black lid to show us? I wonder why companies like bav rest hasn't done something like this

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
      Are you going to open the black lid to show us? I wonder why companies like bav rest hasn't done something like this
      Seconded on the opening.

Comment

There's photos of the inside on Panzer's web site: http://www.panzerperformance.com/panzer-merchandise/afm

They spent a couple years developing and testing this. Glad to see it on the market and I hope it catches on more, rather than the "rebuild" service of just cleaning the contacts of the old wiper assembly.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Working...
        X