Aftermarket antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket antenna

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Glass-Mount-Antenna-Metra_6050000-P_N3531_A|GRP2021___

I picked up this $20 amplified antenna from Advance Auto for about $20. It's designed to be windshield-mount. I didn't want to see it, so I put it on my parcel shelf.

The antenna itself has a short grounding strap, which I crimped a round terminal connector on to, then screwed that into the body under the parcel shelf. Then there is the long cable that you run to the head unit (there's actually 2, the main radio cable, and a wire for the amplification which you connect to switched +12v). The cable is really about 6" too short to reach to where I mounted the antenna, but I made it work.

It works pretty good! It's been about 7 years since I had a working antenna in my e30 (I was in an accident, and the replacement quarter panel didn't have a hole for the antenna, so I just removed the antenna since I didn't listen to the radio much anyway). So I'm not sure how it compares to stock. Compared to my 02 X5, it definitely doesn't pull in stations as well when you start getting further away, but when you are close, the quality is good. That could be due to it's position in my car, I'm not sure. I like where it's at because you can't see it from the drivers seat, since the rear seat sits above the parcel shelf.

I'm going to be painting the parcel shelf black, so it should blend in much better when I do that. There's also double sided tape the whole way across the back, so it will sit down flat instead of looking like it's flopping around, like it does in my pic.

85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Any updates of the rear deck and the flusher-fitting antenna?

Comment

I might steal your idea on those speaker boxes too. those look very clean and it seems ideal for accoustics. maybe one or two 8" subs with a small amp in the trunk and that would be a nice setup for sure. looks like I have a project..

Comment

cool...

I have one of those too but it looks like an older model than yours. I have the same experience as you in that reception isnt as good as a normal antenna but for purposes where the radio is rarely used it's acceptable.
        Mine is mounted to the window so perhaps it may work a bit better

btw your brown e30 is awesome
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X