No announcement yet.

CA Tuned HD axles!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone else had an issue with a boot leaking? I just noticed my driver rear wheel well with CV grease slung everywhere. I'm going to take it out and make sure the boot isn't shot, but my other side is completely fine. This is on the wheel side (most outer).
    1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
    2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
    2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Yeah I'm having a problem with a torn boot on the passenger side no idea how but Catuned has great customer service so the issue is being worked out.

Comment

Same here got under there today and have one boot flinging grease everywhere and the other is being warn
        I can see the boot is rubbing the ebrake cable and almost the a-arm
        I measured the boot and its roughly a inch bigger then the oem boot
        Igor said he would take care of it if I shipped them back which is awesome
        but I'm concerned it will do it again since the boot is bigger
        IG- nv_e30

Comment

I haven't had a chance to drive my car much yet (still needs exhaust after engine swap) - I noticed that the inner boots don't have clamps at the ends like the outers do.

Hoping this won't be an issue??
          -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
          '95 525iT
          '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
          '98 Disco 1

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSpeed66 View Post
            I haven't had a chance to drive my car much yet (still needs exhaust after engine swap) - I noticed that the inner boots don't have clamps at the ends like the outers do.

Hoping this won't be an issue??
            I noticed the same thing, but my issue was only on one side. It hasn't leaked on the other side, so I'm guessing they seem to be alright without the clamps.
            1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
            2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
            2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

now that these have been around a while anyone else having this issue?
              IG- nv_e30

Comment

This wasn't entirely due to the design of the axle but there was an issue w/ clearance on the e-brake cable where it enters the rear hub/arm. The outer boot sits very close to this and wound up rubbing a hole in the boot spewing grease everywhere. Not the fault of CATuned but just something to watch out for...

What has me concerned is that the replacement I was sent looks nothing like the 'HD' axles I originally paid for leaving me wondering whether this axle is truly 'HD'.... these things cost a pretty penny to begin with, so time will tell...

The axle on the other side has had no issues whatsoever.
                -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                '95 525iT
                '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                '98 Disco 1

Comment

ill have to find my pictures
                  it seems like the boot is just to large because where it rubs the line can't be moved
                  i emailed them and i hope they can just send me new boots to save shipping
                  IG- nv_e30

Comment

you can see it was rubbing the trailing arm as well, so when i replaced these with my stock CV's i ground some material away so it won't happen again when i get new ones but I'm not sure about the e-brakeā€¦..
                    [ATTACH]113644[/ATTACH]
                    IG- nv_e30

Comment

Yeah that is essentially what happened with mine except the boot split and sprayed grease everywhere. I emailed them because all I asked for was a replacement boot and they sent me the wrong size. I was then told to send the whole axle back and they would send a replacement. Unfortunately, after waiting a month, the replacement that did come does not appear to be the same fit/finish/design as the original which is concerning. :(
                      -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                      '95 525iT
                      '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                      '98 Disco 1

Comment

uhm, i was going to drive up there and have my outer boots replaced but not if im not getting my HD's back.

Any rebuilding shop can swap boots only (I hope)

Comment

I had this same issue,
                          It seems that CA Tuned is replacing our HD axles w/ ripped boots with plain old regular axles... :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

I'm very glad i didn't send mine back then
                            Going to see if I can have a local shop replace the boots for me for sure then
                            IG- nv_e30

Comment

Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
                              I had this same issue,
                              It seems that CA Tuned is replacing our HD axles w/ ripped boots with plain old regular axles... :(

Are you sure they haven't simply switched designs?
                              Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                              A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
                                Are you sure they haven't simply switched designs?

They look like stock CV's to me.
                                Maybe still using their chromoly shafts.
                                I liked the bigger CV's. Typically it isn't the shaft that breaks...

The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X