Crank Scraper (review)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank Scraper (review)

I picked up an Ishihara-Johnson crank scraper last week and took a stab at installing it over the weekend. I got the regular steel version (no teflon). Since the car isn't running yet, I can only provide feedback on the installation and the product itself.

It was much larger/heavier than I anticipated (which isn't a bad thing). It's made of some decently thick mild steel and has fairly close tolerances. This is their latest version with the trap doors to keep oil in the pan. The quality appeared solid to me.

There's been some talk of fitting issues and the need to grind some areas of the scraper in order to get the proper tolerances. When I ordered the scraper, I was told on the phone that since this scraper has gone through 4-5 revisions already - there's a good chance that I may not need to grind much at all. Unfortunately, a feeler gauge indicated otherwise. The instructions called for 1mm minimum clearance between the scraper and engine parts (mainly just the crank) at all times. I spent quite a bit of time with a die grinder to get everything within spec, but it wasn't difficult at all (only tedious). Just lots of fitting, grinding, refitting, grinding, etc, etc, etc. It appeared that most of my clearance issues were due to manufacturing differences, so it's very possible that others may not have to grind as much.

Another issue for me was the oil pump. The area where the oil pump seals against the block wasn't large enough for my oil pump. I had to remove quite a bit of material to get the oil pump to sit properly with the scraper. For those of you who plan on using this scraper, MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE THE OIL PUMP DURING THE FITTING/GRINDING PHASE! I had to go back and clean off the RTV I laid down in order to do more grinding. Total pain in the ass, but could have been avoided if I thought to check the oil pump clearance.

One thing I didn't like is that I had to create my own gasket using sealant. I emailed to double-check that, and they confirmed that I need to build a gasket out of RTV or something similar. I would have liked to use the fresh oil-pan gasket I bought, but I imagine it has something to do with clearance issues since the scraper is decently thick. I picked "The Right Stuff" found commonly in auto parts stores. I've used this stuff for quite a while and love it. The biggest advantage to me is that you don't need to let it sit and harden overnight.

And that's all I've got so far. I bolted down the oil pan last night and hope to have the car running next month. So far, the only thing I might have done differently is look a little more seriously at the teflon version. If it would have made the fitting-phase easier, I think it'd be worth it.
    Michael Spiegle

'01 Ford Escape / Daily Driver
    '99 M3 / Track Car
    '87 325is bronzit / wtf car
    '06 Daytona Triumph 675 / Daily Rider

it should be expected that you will have to do some fitment with these things - there's not really an easy way to mass produce something with ~1mm of tolerance that will fit perfectly on a variety of cast parts.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      there's not really an easy way to mass produce something with ~1mm of tolerance that will fit perfectly on a variety of cast parts.
      Actually there is - It's called engineering. - but just not at an e30 price - just to clarify.
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

scraper

great initial thoughts thanks!!!!!!!

Ive spoken to them( Ishiwishi) in depth myself...and didnt love the idea of making a gakset/seal and having to pay for lift time at a shop for it to settle.....but many have done it successfully. The teflon one, as you said would be a quicker install requiring less tolerance requirements. Ive been told by many though that this solved the lt hander track oil press woes.

I came across another item/method of helping op issues. Its used by some in the PNW and was developed by a racer out there. It can be bolted in, in like 3 min.....or riveted or welded. I hope to do it by march 08. It uses the m3 style rubber flap..and sits on our existing shelf in the pan...Ill try to get pics up....as you can see it prevents flow/creep up the rt side of the engine. Ive been told it works . I tend to think it will. It does appear though that MANY m20's are tracked w/ no cautionary add on's and seem to last a long time. And so many dont even run op gauges!

Spiegel

...any insight on how a newbie like myself( I just do brakes/tune ups) can get the oil pan off myself...w/ the car on 4 jackstands....Id love to save the labor costs on this one. Ive been quoted like 3-4 hrs by shops....thats like 350 in my neck of the woods!
        Last edited by JRKOUPE; 12-04-2007, 04:03 PM.
        I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
          Actually there is - It's called engineering. - but just not at an e30 price - just to clarify.
          GG..Ishi had expalined to me due to BMW varying castings there was no way to make a one size fits all......and keep close tolerances.

Comment

Originally posted by JoelRKaplan View Post
            GG..Ishi had expalined to me due to BMW varying castings there was no way to make a one size fits all......and keep close tolerances.

Yeah, the one thing I wasn't clear on is whether the steel base in the teflon system was actually cut with more clearance (so that you only need to slice the teflon with a knife).
            Michael Spiegle

'99 M3 / Track Car

Comment

Originally posted by mspiegle View Post
              Yeah, the one thing I wasn't clear on is whether the steel base in the teflon system was actually cut with more clearance (so that you only need to slice the teflon with a knife).

the way it was 'splained to me was that only the teflon needed a bit of trimming and it was ok if it rubbed a bit!..so it was a quicker install.

I sent you a pm!

Comment

great initial thoughts thanks!!!!!!!
                Spiegel

...any insight on how a newbie like myself( I just do brakes/tune ups) can get the oil pan off myself...w/ the car on 4 jackstands....Id love to save the labor costs on this one. Ive been quoted like 3-4 hrs by shops....thats like 350 in my neck of the woods!

It's difficult for me to say because I've never removed an oil pan with the engine in the car. I would imagine that if you were able to remove the oil pan and the oil pump, then your main issues to contend with would be the fitting-phase. You'll need to turn the crank quite a bit (by hand) and have lots of light to look for all the clearance issues. You'll also want a bunch of washers so you can secure the crank scraper against the face of the oil pan rail during fitting. It would probably also help if you were able to lift the engine up a few inches to get some extra room to work. It's probably doable... but not very fun.
                Michael Spiegle

'99 M3 / Track Car

Comment

pan....

ya..my engine wil be in car.....

but no fitting for me. ...Im going w/ the item shown in my other post.

Comment

ya..my engine wil be in car.....

but no fitting for me. ...Im going w/ the item shown in my other post.
                    Oh, gotcha. As long as you can pull your oil pan out, I don't see why that'd be hard at all.
                    Michael Spiegle

'99 M3 / Track Car

Comment

Excuse my ignorance, but where do you get a baffle like this?? Wow I want one!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |

Comment

Originally posted by craz azn View Post
                        Excuse my ignorance, but where do you get a baffle like this?? Wow I want one!
                        pm me......

Comment

Easiest way to remove oil pan in the car is to unfasten engine monts and lift the engine up 2". The way my friend did it, was to support engine with the hoist and drop subframe (it moves about 4 inches this way). If I was to do this again, I would do what my friend did, was much easier aligning gasket and more space to move thing around. Let us know about how the scraper holds up and if you see any difference in a long run.

Comment

bumping this thread as i plan on doing this on the track car over the winter. mspiegle, any issues with the scraper so far? i'll probably go with teflon to reduce install hassle. planning to do in my garage, along with timing belt, water pump, thermostat, fan delete etc etc. jrk, wanna come help?

edit: any thoughts on accusump vs the scraper?
                            Last edited by kishg; 11-16-2008, 08:42 PM.
                            '12 F30 328i Sport Line
                            '91 SpecE30 #523
                            '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

Bringing this thread back to life because I'm interested in the baffle. New information has surfaced in the past yr because a guy connected an oil pressure sensor to his data logger. He found that his pump was sucking air on all left turns and many right turns. He was running an I-J crankscraper. One guy's experience isn't conclusive, but it's interesting.

This weekend is the first time out with a OP sensor connected to my data logger. Once it's calibrated, that will be another data point.

Up above a guy mentioned that E30's are raced with few oiling problems. I would disagree. We go thru a lot of bearings. I've done it twice. Now I run an Accusump.
                              www.Gress.org

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing. -E. Burke

NASA SpecE30 #6, BMWCCA #161
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X