Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AKG Motorsports 75D Engine and Transmission mounts

WOW!

The car is much louder and vibrates like your grandma's old kickstart model until about 1500 RPM. Then most of the vibration is gone, but the volume picks up noticeably. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend is going to hate riding in the car even more.

However, the car feels much more solid and together, the car still had the original mounts in and they were trashed. The car even wants to pull the back end around a little easier.

Overall, a little bit bigger increase in NVH than I was expecting, but I'm still happy with the purchase. Once I get new carpet in, I'll put down a good layer of sound deadening material underneath.

The mounts are great quality and came with new 8.8 grade bolts and new locking nuts. Service was great.

I called and ordered them on Monday afternoon, they were here Wednesday. As soon as I save up the cash, the all the other bushings and diff mount will be replaced with AKG items.

:up:
    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

that's why people do poly engine mounts and stock tranny mounts - the tranny mounts make for far more NVH than the engine.

that said, I really wish there was something on the market for my car - the ix transmisison bushing is fucking pathetic. there is only one, and it's webbed like the stock shitty CABs.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

AKG FTW. I have them and love their products
      ** Lot's of M20 turbo parts for sale.**

Turn key track car.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=222066

Comment

AKG Make some really good s**t. I use their LCABS and some other components on the Zen.
        Last edited by DCColegrove; 05-19-2008, 11:21 AM. Reason: cleaned up the language

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          that's why people do poly engine mounts and stock tranny mounts - the tranny mounts make for far more NVH than the engine.

that said, I really wish there was something on the market for my car - the ix transmisison bushing is fucking pathetic. there is only one, and it's webbed like the stock shitty CABs.
          Yeah when I took the mechanic out for a spin to show him the diff whine/vibration, he was like, you're going to hate these mounts!

I'll keep them in a little longer to see if I want to switch to stock tranny mounts.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

will be putting these in this week.

Have re-done the whole rear subframe with their 75d mounts in addtion to their rear diff mount.

buzzy it will be for sure.
            Build : Das Drehmoment Ungeheuer

Comment

Bimmerworld used (maybe still do) to make rubber transmission mounts with a metal coupling molded inside of them, so you get the best of both worlds. Very very stiff, and no noticeable difference in noise. I love mine.

Comment

There is a reason that AKG recommends the 75D mounts for track only cars. They are loud and they do transmit a lot of vibration. If you have any, and I mean any, out of balance parts like the flywheel or the clutch, you will feel it in a massive way. Even if you don't have out of balance parts, you will feel more vibration and you will have a lot more noise. I would not recommend these for a street car and neither does AKG.

With the AKG bushings and mounts throughout my car, I can say that everything is very tight. The shifter is very tight and you can't feel any movement at all when you rev the engine. There is nothing twisting around under the car. I am pleased with the responsiveness I get out of the car on the track.

The transmission and engine mounts are very easy to install. The subframe bushing take a bit of patients to get the bolts lined up, but the bushing slide right in, no problem. The trailing arm bushings are a bit more tricky to get in if you go with the eccentric style. The diff bushing will require a press.

The products are high quality. They don't come with instructions. AKG will answer some questions, but they can't teach you how to install this stuff. They expect you to know what you are doing already as they mostly sell to race car builders or owners.

Comparison of bushings material hardness
                Softest <------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------> Hardest
                Poly 55A 70A 80A 95A 60D 70D 75D Delrin
                1987 E30 325is
                1999 E46 323i
                RIP 1994 E32 740iL
                oo=[][]=oo

Comment

^Tight driveline > NVH

But seriously, once we get the few rust spots welded up, I'm going to hit the inside of the car with a good layer of Dynamat.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Hmmm... The trailing arm bushings are the only ones that needed a press for me. The rear diff one was a cinch once you remove the outer ring from the previous bushing. I just put the AKG diff mount in the freezer and plopped it in the next day. I'd be careful using a press on the rear diff as you'd hate to bend that mounting bracket on the diff.

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                    I'm going to hit the inside of the car with a good layer of Dynamat.
                    It makes more sense to put in mounts that don't cause noise than adding weight to your car to try and 'mask' the noise. It sounds like these mounts aren't for a customer like you. Honestly... just get something else.
                    Build : Das Drehmoment Ungeheuer

Comment

WTF is it with everyone "knowing" what other people's preferences are?

I'm pretty sure the lightweight battery, no trunk tar, all factory insulation from inside the cab and no rear seat will make up for the minimal weight added by putting in some sound deadening.

But I'll go ahead and be polite since you have no idea what the end goal for my car is.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Just leave the engine mounts in and forget the insulation....

Stop being a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles.
                        sigpic

88 325is

Comment

You're a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles! :)

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

:ohsnap:
                            sigpic

88 325is

Comment

Originally posted by DSP74 View Post
                              Just leave the engine mounts in and forget the insulation....

Stop being a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles.
                              Originally posted by DSP74 View Post
                              :ohsnap:

Comment

Working...
                              X