$2 Ghetto Poly Control Arm Bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$2 Ghetto Poly Control Arm Bushings

In "odd couple" terms, this one is for the Oscars. Felixes have your barf bags handy.

I was crawling under my cabrio, trying (as usual) to locate yet another leak (the steering rack this time) when I noticed that the control arm bushings were totally shot. I had noticed this condition many times before, and Rob at e30motorwerks.com had also mentioned it to me. This was one of those non-life-threatening things that I had intended to put off for a couple more years.

But then I got to thinking (never a good thing in my case). So I grabbed my trusty caulking gun, conveniently loaded with polyurethane sealing caulk left over from my subframe bushings mod, and the stuff just so happens to be EXACTLY 75D (more or less, unless it's not) hardness. I'm counting half the tube as my cost for this project.

I cleaned the bushings & surrounding area with some purple power cleaner, then repeated that process a few times. Rinsed thoroughly with pure Colorado River tap water and dried it all out with an electric heat gun. Applied Griot's Garage best-of-show wax to the control arm only, careful to not get any on the bushings or lollipop.

Squirted poly caulk into all the voids in the CAB's, then built up some more on the outside, tapering from thicker at the center, actually touching the waxed-up control arms, then thinning out gradually toward the outer edges of the bushing/lollipop. This on both sides of each bushing. Let the goop set up for 24 hours without moving the car. Done.

TEST DRIVE: Steering is more precise, less drama on braking, considerably more vibration in the steering wheel.

LESSONS LEARNED: It was cold (for the desert, anyway) when I did the project, and it was a pain waiting for the poly to set up good and hard when I needed to drive the car. This would be a much faster job in July, when the poly would cure in half a day or so. BTW don't tape over the poly with your daughter's purple craft duct tape :) to hold it in place - this will totally prevent it from curing (Ask me how I know).

SUMMARY: The fix did everything I wanted & I would do it again without reservations.
    Last edited by funcrew; 12-04-2008, 10:16 PM.
    "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Uhhh good job ?

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Haha, Ingenuity is a must when you own an E30, But CAB's are only like 17 bucks each.
      -Andy

Comment

Originally posted by dashboardmonkey View Post
        Haha, Ingenuity is a must when you own an E30, But CAB's are only like 17 bucks each.
        True. But I'm an old geezer and have things I'd rather do on weekends than fix cars. If and when I get inspired to take the suspension apart, I'll put in M3 CAB's, springs, shocks, and camber plates. For now, this hack job made a nice improvement.

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
          Uhhh good job ?
          Good enough for now. Obviously not for everyone.

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Comment

Pics

Comment

Originally posted by funcrew View Post
              True. But I'm an old geezer and have things I'd rather do on weekends than fix cars. If and when I get inspired to take the suspension apart, I'll put in M3 CAB's, springs, shocks, and camber plates. For now, this hack job made a nice improvement.
              True true
              -Andy

Comment

i have thought of doing this myself. i think that gorilla glue is polly also i know it drys very hard and sticks to anything
                86 325e limo
                build thread
                http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=126204

Comment

Originally posted by alpinweib30 View Post
                  i have thought of doing this myself. i think that gorilla glue is polly also i know it drys very hard and sticks to anything

Comment

liquid nail saved me from having to do subframe mounts on an E28. Worth the effort when the car was only worth $200.

Originally posted by vlad
                    Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Originally posted by alpinweib30 View Post
                      You guys are crazy. Gorilla glue and liquid nails are NOT equivalent to the EXACTLY (more or less) 75D POLYURETHANE that I used. If you're going to do a hack job, then at least use properly engineered materials. Geez.

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Comment

lol. a pissing match about hack repairs. I should have expected it.

in all seriousness, though, that polyurethane goop probably works pretty well.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
                          lol. a pissing match about hack repairs. I should have expected it.

in all seriousness, though, that polyurethane goop probably works pretty well.
                          I'm kind of disappointed - I expected some serious verbal abuse by this point in the thread.

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Comment

You guys are all a bunch of spoiled brats. When I started working on e30s, we didn't have Liquid Nails. We had to us REAL NAILS to fill the gaps in the bushings. An then we had to drive to school uphill both ways.

Jay
                            Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
                            Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
                            Ground Control facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by funcrew View Post
                              I'm kind of disappointed - I expected some serious verbal abuse by this point in the thread.

I have no problems with the use of that stuff. I know i'll probably get flamed for it but I was bored awhile back put 3M Window Weld (same thing pretty much) in my d.d. civic's totally shot motor mounts. Took a whole day to cure but the difference was night and day. Its an effective way to stiffen up any mount like our CAB or whatever.
                              1991 318is - Icy, the ice racing e30

Now offering Custom Rally Light bars Click the link below for more information!
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=342498

Comment

Working...
                              X