No announcement yet.

Massive - Adapters for Recaro seats on BMW sliders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lee, got mine a couple of days ago but finally installed everything last night. Really nice quality, loved the stickers too. One thing that you may consider is including basic instructions for installing them on the E30 sliders. I had to look at the pics you posted earlier to figure out how everything mounts up.

I have only pic of the seat mounted, I'll definitely get some pics of the mounts themselves tomorrow!
    Attached Files
    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

just got back in the country after some dates in Germany - won't be able to get to these for at least another two weeks.... sorry no feedback from me until then. I haven't even opened the box.
      sigpic
      king of bad decisions.

Comment

Just got my e21 recaros in this weekend. This is a nice kit, all the hardware is there, and the brackets look really trick. Angle and height are perfect for me, plenty of helmet room and I'm 6'1".

I really don't like the look of the recaro sliders, so I not only saved money, but am more happy with the end result. :up:
        '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
        '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

Lee, are you still producing these? I will most likely need a set very soon.

Comment

I finally got the time to put these in, so I figured I would give my reaction.

I second the notion that a diagram of which spacer goes where would have saved me some time. The stepped spacers are clear, but the other one wasn't. I ended up with a spacer between the bracket and the slider on both fronts, and on the inboard rear in order to maintain the correct spacing of the bolt holes on the sliders (just shy of 17" IIRC). What really threw me for a loop was that you pictured 2 'standard' spacers in the pictures of the kit, but there were three per side in my setup. At first I thought you had shipped extra, but then realized that they were needed to keep the front matching the rear.

the 8mm bolt hole issue was easy to fix with a drill press. I believe the forward bolt hole is only for the newer style seats which (I think) only have 8mm bolts. But for the rear bolt hole I don't know how you could change it to make it work for both hardware sizes.

What I wasn't expecting was to have to hack off that extra bracket on the inside rear of the sliders.. I'm not sure if it's because I'm putting these on the current generation sports, but that extra little bracket was interfering with the plasticwork under the seat. I see that it's also hacked off on your sliders in the pictures you posted. I did not take any photos, sorry. The bracket I'm referring to stabilizes the steel bar in the stock setup. It was a very easy modification.

Once these issues were overcome, there was the issue of the seat belt receptacle. The receptacles I have (I think there is only one style for post 86) have a square hole where they attach to the seat frame. Ideally we would have a spacer to fit inside it as well, so it would sit nicely on the bolt instead of wobble around. I will most likely have something like this machined in the future, for now I need to move to the next steps on my car so it stays where it is.

Once together, the whole assembly bolted in with very little drama - all bolt holes lined up very well and the seats are perfectly positioned for me (6'1"). I have plenty of headroom for a helmet if this were a track car.

Stoked to have this piece, and happy to cross this item off my to-do list. Thanks for building these Lee.
            sigpic
            king of bad decisions.

Comment

Hi guys.

Thanks for the good word and the suggestions. I tried my best by sending the adapters with the shims/spacers pre-installed, and suplying an installation manual. I'll improve on the process on the next batch.

Basically, since last summer, there had been two versions of the adapters. One was symetrical side-to-side and keeps the seat centered with the rails (the first batch), while the other version is slightly off-centered toward the tunnel to better align the seat with the steering wheel (second batch), and therefore the adapters are mounted assymetrically. The first type is easier to fit thanks to the symetricality, the second set is not as obvious. I prefer the second set, but the first is easier to fit.

Therefore, the next batch that is currently being produced (30 kits) will be symetrical for ease of installation. This next batch will also have the mounting holes enlarged from 6mm to 8mm. So, no more drilling if you have a VW trophy Recaro with 8mm bolts. It will fit Recaros with 6mm and 8mm bottom bolts, 4 and 6 bolts pattern, as well as the modern Trendline Recaros. If you have Sportline Recaros, then I also have special mounts to accomodate the much deeper lower seat that other wise would interfere with the locking mechanism.

One last improvement that I made was to add an aluminum spacer at the front mounting point in order to use the front points in double shear - Sportline adapters pictured. - Same price on Sportline and Universal adapters. Regular price is $99.00usd and a GB at $85.00usd is possible (10 sets minimum).

Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

That third batch does very well.

$99.00usd for one set - $25 Express shipping
                $170.00usd for two sets - $32 Express shipping (East Coast) - $36 (West Coast)

Special offer on two sets ends October 1st

What you get in a kit

The extra rake for lumbar support and increased comfort

Position of the 6mm bolts for most old style Recaros

Position of the 8mm bolts for Volkswagen-sourced old style Recaros. Mounting holes are already 8mm.

Position of the 8mm bolts for new style Recaros. Mounting holes are already 8mm.
                Last edited by Massive Lee; 09-23-2010, 02:02 PM.

massivebrakes.com

Comment

Hi all. October 1st is the cut-off day to get two sets of adapters at a better price.

$99.00usd per set
                  $20 shipping (4 days Expedited w/ tracking #) or $32 (2-3 days) w/ tracking #

$170.00usd for a pair until October 1st
                  $24 shipping (4-days w/ tracking) or $36 (2-3 days) w/ tracking #

Paypal to massivebrakes@gmail.com

massivebrakes.com

Comment

payment sent!

Comment

Hi Lee,

We have been speaking via email and I believe we got a bit out of hand. I would like to know if your adapters are the same left to right and what method of shipping you use.

Cheers,
                      Chris
                      E30 325i 24v, E36 M3/4/5, MK2 GLI 16v, NA8 Miata
                      Prestige Auto Repair
                      Mercedes-Benz|BMW|MINI
                      prestigegermanrepair.com

Comment

All parts are shipped by Expedited Air by Canada Post/US Postal Services
                        Delivery is 3 to 5 days depending on location (East / West Coast).

I don't ship by UPS nor FedEx. Service sucks. And customer gets an invoice for brokering. Or I get the bill when customer doesn't want to pay.

I don't do ground shipping as the hours spent on the phone and filing refund claims for a lost or damaged shipment is not worth the couple of $ saved.

Same kit for the left or the right. Only an aluminum shim to retain the belt latch will be located differently (outside inside).

massivebrakes.com

Comment

Thank you Lee. Money sent!

Cheers,
                          Chris
                          E30 325i 24v, E36 M3/4/5, MK2 GLI 16v, NA8 Miata
                          Prestige Auto Repair
                          Mercedes-Benz|BMW|MINI
                          prestigegermanrepair.com

Comment

Hi Lee,

Newbie here so catching up to the forum threads. Do you have a web site with your current pricing, etc?

Comment

Hi noobz ;-)

The current pricing is in my signature. Free shipping until January 1st. My website is outdated. Will work on it after the holidays.

Lee

massivebrakes.com

Comment

from what I could find online does Corbeau use the same pattern as Recaro ? In other words, would these work for Corbeau seats as well ?

Comment

Working...
                                X