Feeler: Pre-Modified Steering Joints for E36 Rack Swap

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NC325iC
    replied
    this is kinda OT
    but how does the rubber disc help in collapsablility?
    to me i would think the collapsing would happen at the two pin things on either side of the bushing, itd be alot clearer if i had a pic hold on a sec...

    shbango (circled in blue) i would think thats where all the collapsing happens

    thanks for the pic ritalinkid
    Last edited by NC325iC; 03-08-2007, 11:51 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • RobertK
    replied
    Sure thing. As long as you can gather the parts together.

    To save money on the HP hose we can reuse your old one or you can get a good used one from Joe @ Autobahn Sport (PM Funkmasta).

    I will mod your steering knuckle for the cost of the rubber disc ($18-$19). If I can get some more cores I can have it ready before you get here. Early May would be perfect because it would be right before I start my Summer semester.

    Leave a comment:


  • Intense
    replied
    I'm looking into picking-up a 91 318is from Cali. and driving it back home to Charlotte. Knoxville would sorta be on the way...would you be interested in doing (helping with) the swap on my drive back?

    It would be until the beginning of May until I can go get the car. So, you have plenty of time to prep.

    thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • RobertK
    replied
    Originally posted by e30 Groupie
    I call dibs on the first one! Tell me where to pay! :) Since I was the first to respond afterall.
    LOL.. Damn.. I will PM you as soon as the first one is finished. I'm going to have to pick up a few new tools as my Dremel is dead. Plus, if I'm going to start making more of these I need something more heavy duty.

    I will probably try to get Patrick to ship me 2 rubber discs but I think he mentioned that it would take a day or two before he would get them in to ship back out to me. SO this weekend I might at least get the old one taking apart and shortened.

    Leave a comment:


  • Van Westervelt
    replied
    I call dibs on the first one! Tell me where to pay! :) Since I was the first to respond afterall.

    Leave a comment:


  • RobertK
    replied
    Just got off the phone with Patrick @ BMA. Cost for each new rubber replacement disc is around $19.00 w/ shipping included. I can get a discount of $14.50 plus shipping if I order more than 5 at a time.

    I only have one core at this point so the first few that I make I will probably only be able to ship out as I receive each core. I'm going to work with the local bone yard to pick up a few extras so I can have more than 1 in stock.

    Price will be around $100 shipped + $50 core charge for joints with rubber replacement discs. As soon as I receive the core I will refund the core charge. Probably best to use Paypal to make the refund process much easier.

    I am still waiting on a quote for the aluminum disc replacement cost.

    I will try rebuild at least one this weekend to sell dependent on fast I can complete some urgent transmission work I have planned for Tara's car.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30 gangsta
    replied
    IM down keep us updated please.

    Leave a comment:


  • RobertK
    replied
    Originally posted by der affe
    have a 91 (not local:( ) but would be down for that too!
    greg
    I have one local friend with a 91 318is who "might" let me experiment on his car but he's a cheap ass who would probably be reluctant to replace his rack unless it required replacing.

    I'll try posting in the TN forum on bf.c to see if I can find someone willing to be a guinea pig for the air bag plate.

    I have a machine shop buddy working on creating steel jig and a couple aluminum mock up plates for those interested in a steering joint "fuh raze"

    Going to call BMA and talk to Patrick to see how much new rubber flex disks are going to cost me in small bulk.

    Leave a comment:


  • der affe
    replied
    Originally posted by Ritalin Kid
    No. That is an issue related to the air bag steering columns in the 90 and 91 E30s. If I could get someone local that wanted to try this swap let me help them out I could use their car to fab up a plate for resale as well.
    have a 91 (not local:( ) but would be down for that too!
    greg

    Leave a comment:


  • Fidhle007
    replied
    Dammit, I'd be more than willing to be a guinea pig, too bad I'm so far away! My shop just parted a few e30s, I wonder if we still have some steering knuckles around...

    Leave a comment:


  • RobertK
    replied
    Originally posted by Fidhle007
    Would your modification of the u-joint eliminate the need for enlarging the opening in the firewall?
    No. That is an issue related to the air bag steering columns in the 90 and 91 E30s. If I could get someone local that wanted to try this swap let me help them out I could use their car to fab up a plate for resale as well.

    Leave a comment:


  • Fidhle007
    replied
    Would your modification of the u-joint eliminate the need for enlarging the opening in the firewall?

    Leave a comment:


  • Van Westervelt
    replied
    Still rubbers for this homeboy.

    Leave a comment:


  • CarsSuck
    replied
    let us know about the discs, I will want one for sure.

    Leave a comment:


  • RobertK
    replied
    Aluminum discs will cost a little more depending on how much it will cost me to source them.

    Leave a comment:

Working...